- (superl.) Fit; adapted; suitable.
- (superl.) Having sufficient power, strength, force, skill, means, or resources of any kind to accomplish the object; possessed of qualifications rendering competent for some end; competent; qualified; capable; as, an able workman, soldier, seaman, a man able to work; a mind able to reason; a person able to be generous; able to endure pain; able to play on a piano.
- (superl.) Specially: Having intellectual qualifications, or strong mental powers; showing ability or skill; talented; clever; powerful; as, the ablest man in the senate; an able speech.
- (superl.) Legally qualified; possessed of legal competence; as, able to inherit or devise property.
- (a.) To make able; to enable; to strengthen.
- (a.) To vouch for.
Compare able with other words:
able vs. may
able vs. canine
able vs. wolf
able vs. can