(prep.) In the immediate neighborhood of; in contiguity or proximity to; near, as to place; by or on (one's person).
(prep.) Over or upon different parts of; through or over in various directions; here and there in; to and fro in; throughout.
(prep.) Near; not far from; -- determining approximately time, size, quantity.
(prep.) In concern with; engaged in; intent on.
(prep.) On the point or verge of; going; in act of.
(prep.) Concerning; with regard to; on account of; touching.
(adv.) On all sides; around.
(adv.) In circuit; circularly; by a circuitous way; around the outside; as, a mile about, and a third of a mile across.
(adv.) Here and there; around; in one place and another.
(adv.) Nearly; approximately; with close correspondence, in quality, manner, degree, etc.; as, about as cold; about as high; -- also of quantity, number, time.
(adv.) To a reserved position; half round; in the opposite direction; on the opposite tack; as, to face about; to turn one's self about.
(adv.) In a rough manner; unevenly; harshly; rudely; severely; austerely.
(1) By 24 hr, rough endoplasmic reticulum in thecal cells increased from 4.2 to 7% of cell volume, while the amount in granulosa cells increased from less than 3.5% to more than 10%; the quantity remained relatively constant in the theca but declined to prestimulation values in the granulosa layer.
(2) Thus, it appears that neuronal loss may account for up to roughly half of the striatal D2 receptor loss during aging.
(3) The cis isomer was retained longer in liver, particularly in mitochondria, but had low retention in that portion of the endoplasmic reticulum isolated as the rough membrane fraction.
(4) The results indicated that roughly 25% of patients treated in this way will become hypothyroid after 5 years and that 85% are cured (need no further therapy during the follow-up period) using a single dose of iodine-131.
(5) This heretogeneity occurred mainly as a progressive, decreasing gradient in the first half of this pathway, between the rough endoplasmic reticulum and the mi-cisternae of the Golgi apparatus.
(6) Electron microscopy revealed a well-developed rough endoplasmic reticulum, an enlarged Golgi apparatus and many highly electron-dense secretory granules resembling those of Clara cells.
(7) Four fractions enriched, respectively, in plasma membrane (PM), smooth endoplasmic reticulum (SER), rough endoplasmic reticulum (RER), and mitochondria were isolated from estrogen-dominated rat myometrium.
(8) For trials in which the target was present in the array, RT functions were roughly symmetric, the shortest RTs being for extreme distractor ratios, and the longest RTs being for arrays in which there were an equal number of each distractor type.
(9) Classic technics of digital image analysis and new algorithms were used to improve the contrast on the full image or a portion of it, contrast a skin lesion with statistical information deduced from another lesion, evaluate the shape of the lesion, the roughness of the surface, and the transition region from the lesion to the normal skin, and analyze a lesion from the chromatic point of view.
(10) Electron microscopic evaluation of microsomal fractions showed elements of the plasma membrane, including cilia and microvilli, as well as rough and smooth endoplasmic reticulum.
(11) The local guide led us down a rough, uneven pathway, talking as he went.
(12) It's the roughly $2bn in revenue grossed by his blockbuster movies, some of which he had to be talked into making.
(13) The interaction between PE and E-IgG involved the extension of micropseudopods toward adherent E-IgG, the formation of a linear uniform cap of roughly 200 A between opposing cell membranes, the ingestion of E-IgG by PE into a membrane-lined compartment, and the disintegration of the ingested ligand into membranous debris.
(14) Ultracentrifugally separated HDL2 and HDL3 roughly corresponded to HDL2e and HDL3e, respectively.
(15) The locations of these 15 insertion sites correlate well with the roughly estimated locations of five of the DNase I-hypersensitive subregions.
(16) The Lords will vote on three key amendments: • To exclude child benefit from the cap calculation (this would roughly halve the number of households affected).
(17) The unique structure we describe is a cytoplasmic organelle which, like annulate lamellae, is closely associated with the endoplasmic reticulum and is presumed to be related to the genesis of rough-surfaced endoplasmic reticulum in tumor cells.
(18) Besides the rough, wrinkled, and brown or black surface of the fingertips, microwrinkles of the epidermis occur on the skin ridges, which have so far not been described.
(19) Ultrastructural examination of noncartilaginous regions of the tumor demonstrated mesenchymal cells with features suggestive of cartilaginous differentiation, viz, scalloped cell membranes, sac-like distension of abundant rough endoplasmic reticulum, and a matrix containing fibrillary and finely granular material.
(20) That, roughly, was the theme of the Wednesday Play, Cathy Come Home, (BBC1) directed by Kenneth Loach, produced by Tony Garnett.