(v. t.) To annul by an authoritative act; to abolish by the authority of the maker or his successor; to repeal; -- applied to the repeal of laws, decrees, ordinances, the abolition of customs, etc.
(v. t.) To put an end to; to do away with.
(1) Although Jeggo's Chinese hamster ovary cells were more responsive to mAMSA, novo still abrogated mAMSA toxicity in the mutant cells as well as in the parental Chinese hamster ovary cells 2,4-Dinitrophenol acted similarly to novo with respect to mAMSA killing, but neither compound reduced the ATP content of V79 cells.
(2) LPS also abrogated the ability of recombinant interferon-gamma (r.IFN-gamma) to enhance macrophage larvicidal activity.
(3) Release of 51Cr was apparently a function of immune thymus-derived lymphocytes (T cells) because it was abrogated by prior incubation of spleen cells with anti-thymus antiserum and complement but was undiminished by passage of spleen cells through nylon-wool columns.
(4) In contrast, insertion of a pre-S(1) sequence between HBcAg residues 75 and 83 abrogated recognition of HBcAg by 5 of 6 anti-HBc monoclonal antibodies and diminished recognition by human polyclonal anti-HBc.
(5) Furthermore, exogenous IL-1, IL-2, IL-4, interferon-gamma, or a rat Con A supernatant failed to abrogate DFMO inhibition.
(6) A T cell was responsible for the suppressive effects on LAK generation because suppression was abrogated by treatment of alloimmune cells with anti-T serum plus complement.
(7) Inhibitors of DC clustering, including trypsin, paraformaldehyde, and tunicamycin, abrogated the ability of DC to support antigen presentation and lectin-mediated proliferation.
(8) Bound fluorescyl ligand, increased ionic strength (0.5 M NaCl) or basic pH (greater than 8.0) abrogated cryoprecipitation.
(9) One of the renal antigens recognized by 2B4.14.1 was identified as Tamm-Horsfall glycoprotein (THGP), based on the ability of the antibody to recognize THGP in western immunoblots and the abrogation of immunohistologic reactivity of the antibody by preincubation with purified THGP.
(10) Furthermore, treatment of AC with lysosomotropic agents abrogated thymocyte proliferation induced by PE but not SEB.
(11) Pretreatment with OKT3, together with a monoclonal anti-DR antibody and complement, did not abrogate the T-colony forming capacity.
(12) Resistance of the rat induced by C. liquefaciens to tumor cells was also abrogated by Trypan Blue treatment just 1 day before tumor cell inoculation.
(13) Serum SIRS-inducing activity was abrogated by treatment with proteinase K or boiling, but was not affected by dialysis, acidification to pH 2, or heating to 56 degrees C. This serum factor could be distinguished functionally and antigenically from SIRS and from interferon (IFN) alpha or IFN gamma.
(14) It is shown that while not affecting other mononuclear cells viability, this IT is capable of selectively destroying human monocytes after 24 h exposure thus resulting in the abrogation of monocyte support for PHA reactivity in mononuclear cell preparations.
(15) Tetrodotoxin or nifedipine abrogated the effects of IC, C-Ch and PE but did not influence the effect of gamma-interferon on C2 synthesis.
(16) Preincubation of rIL-1 with a specific antibody abrogated and heat-inactivation destroyed this activity.
(17) This IFN-gamma-mediated suppression was monocyte dependent because it was completely abrogated by monocyte, but not T cell depletion.
(18) In contrast, these responses were both abrogated by hyperpolarization with the K+ ionophore valinomycin.
(19) Dilution of the latter detergent lysate with phosphate buffered saline exhibited no effect on the detection of the two additional components, while further treatment of the lysate with NP-40 buffer abrogated them to be detected.
(20) Release was abrogated by omission of myeloperoxidase or H2O2, heating of MPO, or addition of azide, cyanide, or catalase.
(n.) The extreme or last point or part of any material thing considered lengthwise (the extremity of breadth being side); hence, extremity, in general; the concluding part; termination; close; limit; as, the end of a field, line, pole, road; the end of a year, of a discourse; put an end to pain; -- opposed to beginning, when used of anything having a first part.
(n.) Point beyond which no procession can be made; conclusion; issue; result, whether successful or otherwise; conclusive event; consequence.
(n.) Termination of being; death; destruction; extermination; also, cause of death or destruction.
(n.) The object aimed at in any effort considered as the close and effect of exertion; ppurpose; intention; aim; as, to labor for private or public ends.
(n.) That which is left; a remnant; a fragment; a scrap; as, odds and ends.
(n.) One of the yarns of the worsted warp in a Brussels carpet.
(v. t.) To bring to an end or conclusion; to finish; to close; to terminate; as, to end a speech.
(v. t.) To form or be at the end of; as, the letter k ends the word back.
(v. t.) To destroy; to put to death.
(v. i.) To come to the ultimate point; to be finished; to come to a close; to cease; to terminate; as, a voyage ends; life ends; winter ends.
(1) These included bringing in the A* grade, reducing the number of modules from six to four, and a greater attempt to assess the whole course at the end.
(2) The oral nerve endings of the palate, the buccal mucosa and the periodontal ligament of the cat canine were characterized by the presence of a cellular envelope which is the final form of the Henle sheath.
(3) A full-length cDNA encoding porcine heart aconitase was derived from lambda gt10 recombinant clones and by amplification of the 5' end of the mRNA.
(4) The present findings indicate that the deafferented [or isolated] hypothalamus remains neuronally isolated from the environment if the operation is carried out later than the end of the first week of life.
(5) In patients with coronary artery disease, electrocardiographic signs of left atrial enlargement (LAE-negative P wave deflection greater than or equal to 1 mm2 in lead V1) are associated with increased left ventricular end diastolic pressure (LVEDP).
(6) The distance between the end of fic and the start of pabA was 31 base pairs.
(7) Further, at the end of treatment fewer patients had depressive symptoms and the total daily number of hours of wellbeing and normal movement increased.
(8) DI James Faulkner of Great Manchester police said: “The men and women working in the factory have told us that they were subjected to physical and verbal assaults at the hands of their employers and forced to work more than 80-hours before ending up with around £25 for their week’s work.
(9) One rare case of blind-ending branch originating in the upper third of the ureter are described.
(10) Mapping of the cross-link position between U2 and U6 RNAs is consistent with base-pairing between the 5' domain of U2 and the 3' end of U6 RNA.
(11) Anthropometric and nutritional (serum albumin and transferrin) values were normal in both groups both at the beginning and at the end of the treatment period.
(12) The following conclusions emerge: (i) when the 3' or the 3' penultimate base of the oligonucleotide mismatched an allele, no amplification product could be detected; (ii) when the mismatches were 3 and 4 bases from the 3' end of the primer, differential amplification was still observed, but only at certain concentrations of magnesium chloride; (iii) the mismatched allele can be detected in the presence of a 40-fold excess of the matched allele; (iv) primers as short as 13 nucleotides were effective; and (v) the specificity of the amplification could be overwhelmed by greatly increasing the concentration of target DNA.
(13) Noradrenaline (NA) was released from sympathetic nerve endings in the tissue by electrical stimulation of the mesenteric nerves or by the indirect sympathomimetic agent tyramine.
(14) The B cell epitopes included regions of transition between the more hydropathic (including the N-terminal end of the F1 and F2 protein) and hydrophilic sequences.
(15) According to the national bank, four Russian banks were operating in Crimea as of the end of April, but only one of them, Rossiisky National Commercial Bank, was widely represented, with 116 branches in the region.
(16) This paper reports, principally, the caries results of the first three surveys of 5, 12 and 5-year-olds undertaken at the end of 1987, 1988 and 1989, respectively.
(17) For dental procedures requiring tracheal intubation, one could perhaps use non-depolarizing muscle relaxants, like pancuronium, with reversal at the end of the procedure.
(18) For retrospective action to be taken, and an FA charge to follow, the decision of the panel must be unanimous.” The match between the sides ended in acrimony and two City red cards.
(19) The number of peripheral blood lymphocytes (PBL) producing IgM (spontaneous and pokeweed mitogen (PWM) stimulated) at the end of a seven day culture period was similar in PBC patients and control subjects while the amount of IgM synthesized (spontaneous and PWM stimulated) during this period was significantly greater in the patient group, implying that the amount of IgM produced per B cell was increased in PBC.
(20) ACh released from the vesicular fraction was about 100-fold more than could be accounted for by miniature end-plate potentials; possible causes of this overestimate are discussed.