(n.) A pustular affection of the skin, due to changes in the sebaceous glands.
(1) In both cases there was no history of previous trauma and acne.
(2) The mean acne scores, derived from grading and counting lesions and comedones, fell from 63.3 to 6 in the Diane 50 and from 64.2 to 4.5 in the Triphasil group.
(3) However, in GF rats and in rats monoassociated with viable P. acnes, parenteral injection of killed P. acnes antigen inhibited the plaque-forming cell response to sheep erythrocytes.
(4) In deep forms of acne, particularly acne conglobata, Akne-Mycyna may be a valuable supplementation of systemic treatment.
(5) A water based 5% benzoyl peroxide gel (Benzac W5) was compared with topical 1% clindamycin phosphate solution (Cleocin T) in the treatment of acne vulgaris using a randomized, investigator blind study design.
(6) A questionnaire was presented to 2009 18--19 year old military recruitment candidates which enabled assessment of antipathy towards patients with severe acne vulgaris, the occupational handicap associated with severe acne and subjective inhibitions in acne patients.
(7) Clinical severity of acne and sebum excretion decreased significantly at the end of the trial with both drugs, but significantly more with spironolactone.
(8) When we only considered the patients' responses, more of them admitted having had acne than did our controls.
(9) Clindamycin lotion completely suppressed the growth of C acnes organisms, whereas erythromycin and tetracycline did not depress the C acnes counts.
(10) Thirty patients of either sex (23 M, 7 F) ranging in age between 16 and 36 years, affected of acne vulgaris, were given 20% azelaic acid cream over a period of 6 months.
(11) PEC were then collected from mice into which either 100 micrograms of P. acnes or 1 KE of OK-432 had been injected intraperitoneally several times.
(12) Isotretinoin (Accutane Capsules) is a synthetic vitamin A compound used for treatment of recalcitrant cystic acne.
(13) Furthermore, when rats were first immunized and then challenged with active strains of P. acnes, an increased sensitivity to low doses of P. acnes and a chronic exacerbation of inflammation was observed.
(14) All stages were present from acne comedonica to acne conglobata.
(15) The aim of this work is to investigate the anti-comedo activity of 20% azelaic acid cream topically applied in a group of teen-agers affected by acne.
(16) Therefore the prevalence of acne conglobata and acne of at least a moderate degree with cysts and scars was 832,000 for women and 1,319,000 for men 15 to 44 years of age.
(17) Macrophages elicited with thioglycollate and P. acnes displayed enhanced Fn secretory activity when compared with resident unstimulated cells.
(18) Continuous culture studies using a chemostat and varying culture pH showed that highest levels of growth of P. acnes occurred at pH 6.0 and that two clear 'peaks' of histamine production were apparent at pH 4.5 and at pH 7.5.
(19) Skin impurities and fatty hair associated with acne were side effects in 22.5% of 378 patients during the first evaluation and in 10.8% of 369 patients at the second evaluation.
(20) Within 2 months following birth the infants had facial acne and edema, swelling of the eyelids, loss of facial hair including eyelashes, and hyperpigmentation of the skin.
(n.) Any small acuminated elevation of the cuticle, whether going on to suppuration or not.
(n.) Fig.: A swelling or protuberance like a pimple.
(1) "All the big German newspapers and news magazines are now increasingly trying to have one editorial team overlook all of its channels of output – it's better for the overall brand," said Roland Pimpl, a correspondent for the trade magazine Horizont.
(2) These pimples exhibit a unique and complex morphology.
(3) In the white form, budding cells appear similar to those of most other strains of C. albicans, but in the opaque form, budding cells are larger, are bean shaped, and possess pimples on the wall.
(4) Results showed that a significant (P less than .05) linear increase in pimple score, uterine ash, and serum calcium occurred as dietary levels of D3 increased.
(5) The possibility is suggested that the vacuole of opaque cells is the origin of membrane-bound vesicles which traverse the wall through specialized pimple structures and emerge from the pimple with an intact outer double membrane, a unique phenomenon in yeast cells.
(6) John Lopez, Vanity Fair Whether or not Sorkin "sexed" The Social Network up hardly even matters: in sexing it up, he merely cast an unpleasant spotlight on that nasty pimple resting on the tip of our nose, whose presence we try so hard to hide with makeup so that we can go out and face the working world with dignity.
(7) The opaque-cell-specific 14.5-kDa antigen either is in the pimple channel or is a component of the emerging vesicle.
(8) The antics of the past week are pimples pointing to a deeper infection within the Conservative organism – and, for that matter, the body politic.
(9) "The pitch was frozen solid but Lincoln had the new Adidas pimpled studs, and ours had long nylon studs," he recalled.
(10) The functions of the unique opaque-cell pimple and emerging vesicle are not known.
(11) The trouble with the government's proposals so far is that they are mere pimples on the surface."
(12) The typical features are, in the beginning, a pruritic insect-bite-like pimple, then a painless ulcer surrounded by serous-hemorrhagic, often rapidly confluent vesicles and non-pitting edema.
(13) Feed consumption, egg production, egg weight, egg specific gravity, and pimple score were determined at weekly or biweekly intervals for a 10-week period.
(14) Pimpled egg shells are one of the various types of egg shell problems in the industry today.
(15) A peculiar anatomoclinic form is described about the Balanoposthite chronique circonscrite bénigne à plasmocytes (Zoon): the pimpled, erosive, nodular and pseudoangiomatous form.
(16) It was concluded that egg shell pimpling is directly related to level of cholecalciferol (D3) in the diet.
(17) A 17-month-old baby boy was noted to have a pimple-like lesion at the corona of the glans penis.
(18) There's even one in which she appears to have a pimple .
(19) In the Vivida group, five patients developed transient, mild pimples during the first weeks of treatment, but no other adverse effects occurred.
(20) The hyphae formed by opaque cells were morphologically identical to hyphae formed by white cells (i.e., they were devoid of pimples or protrusions and exhibited the same shape and septal locations).