(prep.) Behind in place; as, men in line one after another.
(prep.) Below in rank; next to in order.
(a.) Next; later in time; subsequent; succeeding; as, an after period of life.
(a.) Hinder; nearer the rear.
(a.) To ward the stern of the ship; -- applied to any object in the rear part of a vessel; as the after cabin, after hatchway.
(prep.) Later in time; subsequent; as, after supper, after three days. It often precedes a clause. Formerly that was interposed between it and the clause.
(prep.) Subsequent to and in consequence of; as, after what you have said, I shall be careful.
(prep.) Subsequent to and notwithstanding; as, after all our advice, you took that course.
(prep.) Moving toward from behind; following, in search of; in pursuit of.
(prep.) Denoting the aim or object; concerning; in relation to; as, to look after workmen; to inquire after a friend; to thirst after righteousness.
(prep.) In imitation of; in conformity with; after the manner of; as, to make a thing after a model; a picture after Rubens; the boy takes after his father.
(prep.) According to; in accordance with; in conformity with the nature of; as, he acted after his kind.
(prep.) According to the direction and influence of; in proportion to; befitting.
(adv.) Subsequently in time or place; behind; afterward; as, he follows after.
(adv.) At a later time; afterwards.
(1) Here we report that sperm from psr males fertilizes eggs, but that the paternal chromosomes are subsequently condensed into a chromatin mass before the first mitotic division of the egg and do not participate in further divisions.
(2) These studies led to the following conclusions: (a) all the prominent NHP which remain bound to DNA are also present in somewhat similar proportions in the saline-EDTA, Tris, and 0.35 M NaCl washes of nuclei; (b) a protein comigrating with actin is prominent in the first saline-EDTA wash of nuclei, but present as only a minor band in the subsequent washes and on washed chromatin; (c) the presence of nuclear matrix proteins in all the nuclear washes and cytosol indicates that these proteins are distributed throughout the cell; (d) a histone-binding protein (J2) analogous to the HMG1 protein of K. V. Shooter, G.H.
(3) Subsequently, the study of bundle branch block and A-V block cases revealed that no explicit correlation existed between histopathological changes and functional disturbances nor between disturbances in conduction (i.e.
(4) Immunocompetence was also evident when the cells from thymectomized donors were first incubated with thymus extract for 1 hr and subsequently tested for reactivity.
(5) Limited biopsic retroperitoneal lymphnode dissection subsequently extended following the result of the frozen section histology.
(6) Results suggest that Cd-MT is reabsorbed and broken down by kidney tubule cells in a physiological manner with possible subsequent release of the toxic cadmium ion.
(7) Importantly, these characteristics were strong predictors of subsequent mortality.
(8) In 14 of the patients the imaging results were checked against the histological findings of a subsequent thymectomy, which revealed four thymomas and (with the exception of one normal thymus) hyperplastic changes in all the others.
(9) In the case presented, overdistension of a jejunostomy catheter balloon led to intestinal obstruction and pressure necrosis (of the small bowel), with subsequent abscess formation leading to death from septicemia.
(10) The degree of increase in Meth responsiveness elicited by the initial provocation is a major factor in determining the airway response to a subsequent HS challenge.
(11) A leg ulcer in a 52-year-old renal transplant patient yielded foamy histiocytes containing acid-fast bacilli subsequently identified as a Runyon group III Mycobacterium.
(12) None of the children in the study showed clinical symptoms of acquired subglottic stenosis before discharge from hospital, and none has been readmitted for this condition subsequently.
(13) Subsequent isoelectric focusing in sucrose revealed an isoelectric point of 9.0-9.2.
(14) Scintigraphic pictures of the uterine cavity and oviducts were obtained with a Jumbo Toshiba gamma-camera; they were subsequently analysed by an Informatek SIMIS-3 data processing system.
(15) However, the effects of such large-scale calvarial repositioning on subsequent brain mass growth trajectories and compensatory cranio-facial growth changes is unclear.
(16) Although chronologic age may not be a good predictor of pregnancy outcome, adolescents remain a high-risk group due to factors which are more common among them such as biologic immaturity, inadequate prenatal care, poverty, minority status, and low prepregnancy weight, and because factors associated with an early adolescent pregnancy, such as low gynecologic age, may continue to influence the outcome of subsequent pregnancies.
(17) We describe both the three supportive psychotherapeutic steps, which may last months to years including subsequent dynamically psychotherapeutic strategies as well as the reactions of the auxiliary therapist function on the students.
(18) The second algorithm finds all subsequence alignments between the pattern and the test with at most k differences.
(19) In subsequent experiments, both components were found to be significant and additive predictors of face recognition with no residual effect of typicality.
(20) For consistent identification of the normal pancreas, preliminary longitudinal scanning at, or near, the mid-line and subsequent oblique scanning in the long axis are necessary prerequisites in delineating the anatomic outline of the pancreas.