(interj.) An exclamation expressive of sorrow, pity, or apprehension of evil; -- in old writers, sometimes followed by day or white; alas the day, like alack a day, or alas the white.
(1) No difference in therapeutic activity between CNC-ala-17-E2 and CNC-ala could be observed in a transplanted rat leukemia (L 5222).
(2) In each subject, the activity in leucocytes of delta-aminolaevulinic acid (ALA) synthase increased and that of protoporphyrinogen (proto) oxidase decreased during the first week of therapy.
(3) The IL-8 isolated from each of these cell types is a mixture of two IL-8 polypeptides, one consisting of 72 amino acids (herein called [ser-IL-8]72) and the other 77 amino acids (an N-terminal extended form herein called [ala-IL-8]77).
(4) Two EGZ-derived proteins were engineered in which either His98 or Glu133 amino acid was converted to an Ala residue.
(5) In cirrhosis there was a decrease, of zinc (-40%) albumin (-38%) and of activity of ALA D (-48%) and an increase in blood lead (+80%).
(6) We have named them bombolitin I (Ile-Lys-Ile-Thr-Thr-Met-Leu-Ala-Lys-Leu-Gly-Lys-Val-Leu-Ala-His-Val-NH2 ), bombolitin II (Ser-Lys-Ile-Thr-Asp-Ile-Leu-Ala-Lys-Leu-Gly-Lys-Val-Leu-Ala-His-Val-NH2 ), bombolitin III (Ile-Lys-Ile-Met-Asp-Ile-Leu-Ala-Lys-Leu-Gly-Lys-Val-Leu-Ala-His-Val-NH2 ), bombolitin IV (Ile-Asn-Ile-Lys-Asp-Ile-Leu-Ala-Lys-Leu-Val-Lys-Val-Leu-Gly-His-Val-NH2 ), and bombolitin V (Ile-Asn-Val-Leu-Gly-Ile-Leu-Gly-Leu-Leu-Gly-Lys-Ala-Leu-Ser-His-Leu-NH2 ).
(7) To confirm this, ALA-S activity was then directly measured in intact reticulocytes, and it was shown that ethanol indeed inhibited its activity.
(8) All inhibitors had no effect on L-Ala uptake into brush-border membrane vesicles in presence of Na+ gradient.
(9) Specimens from the bone marrow taken were by trephine biopsy from the sternum, ala ossis ilii and spine.
(10) Paraproteins, usually of the IgG-kappa isotype, were found in the sera of a significant number of HIV-1-infected individuals as were antibodies to lymphocytes (ALAs).
(11) With the use of the method Chick Embryotoxicity Screening Test II (CHEST II), the potential neuropeptides L-prolyl-L-leucyl-glycinamide (MIF), cyclo(1-aminocyclo-pentanecarbonyl-L-alanyl)[cyclo(Acp-Ala)] and cyclo(glycyl-L-leucyl)[Cyclo(Gly-Leu)] were tested in the critical developmental periods of d 1.5 to 4 of chick embryogenesis in order to objectively examine their undesirable interactions with the developing morphogenetic systems of the brain, eye, face, body wall, limbs, trunk and heart.
(12) The differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) studies demonstrate an increased susceptibility of the Ala 183----Pro mutant to thermal denaturation.
(13) Mutants of Escherichia coli which require 5-aminolaevulinic acid (5-ALA), the first intermediate of haem biosynthesis, do not respond to haemin and porphyrins.
(14) The lipid-mobilizing activity of a synthetic peptide, NH2-Phe-Glu-Glu-Ala-Tyr-Ile-Pro-Lys-Glu-Gln-Lys-Tyr-Ser-Phe-COOH, corresponding to the 31-44 amino-acid sequence of human growth hormone, was studied.
(15) The replacements for Glu-43 (Asp, Gln, Asn, Ser, and Ala) both decreased the catalytic efficiency and changed the one- and two-dimensional NMR spectral properties of the mutant enzymes.
(16) Alas, for Jones, they found more of his ill-gotten gains in another plot he had perhaps forgotten to mention.
(17) The structures of two crystal forms of Boc-Trp-Ile-Ala-Aib-Ile-Val-Aib-Leu-Aib-Pro-OMe have been determined.
(18) Daily intra-VTA injections of the mu opioid agonist Tyr-D-Ala-Gly-NMe-Phe-Gly-ol enhanced the behavioral stimulant effect of acute morphine.
(19) The (beta-chloro-, (beta, beta-dichloro-, and (beta, beta, beta-trichloro-alpha-aminoethyl)phosphonic acids have been synthesized and their inhibitory properties on the alanine racemases [EC 184.108.40.206] and the D-Ala:D-Ala ligases [EC 220.127.116.11] from Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Streptococcus faecalis have been evaluated.
(20) Angiotensin converting enzyme activity was measured in intact aortic rings utilizing the synthetic tripeptide [3H]-benzoyl-Phe-Ala-Pro as the substrate.
(1) Unfortunately, due to confidentiality clauses that have been imposed on us by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, we are unable to provide our full names and … titles … However, we believe the evidence that will be submitted will validate the statements that we are making in this submission.” The submission detailed specific allegations – including names and dates – of sexual abuse of child detainees, violence and bullying of children, suicide attempts by children and medical neglect.
(2) Unfortunately more than three quantitative data cannot be judged simultaneously without help of mathematical methods.
(3) Unfortunately, peanut reaction is not outgrown and remains a life-long threat.
(4) Unfortunately for the governor, he could win both states and still face the overwhelming likelihood of failure if he doesn't take Ohio, where the poll found Obama out front 51-43.
(5) Unfortunately, under the Faustian pact we have witnessed a double whammy: fiscal policy being used to reduce government spending when the economy is already depressed.
(6) But Syrians have borne the brunt of the hatred because of the unfortunate way they became associated with Morsi in the dying days of his presidency.
(7) Unfortunately, it does not contain a population of undifferentiated stem cells to supply the necessary healthy neurons.
(8) Father Vincent Twomey said that given the damage done by Smyth and the repercussions of his actions, "one way or another the cardinal has unfortunately lost his moral credibility".
(9) Unfortunately, both the malleus and the stapes have to be in good position to use this type of reconstruction making it much less common than other forms of ossiculoplasty.
(10) And of course, as the articles are shared far and wide across the apparently much-hated web, they become gospel to those who read them and unfortunately become quasi-religious texts to musicians of all stripes who blame the internet for everything that is wrong with their careers.
(11) Unfortunately, it probably won’t happen with many countries … But if we can have a great relationship with Russia, and China, and all countries, I’m all for that, that would be a tremendous asset.
(12) Unfortunately, transitional cell carcinoma may involve other regions of the prostate that are inaccessible by cystoscopy.
(13) Actually, I think these are worthy subjects for discussion but, unfortunately, we don't have the time.
(14) Unfortunately it was the Arab spring that failed , and the rise of Islamic State was one of the results.
(15) Since doctors are generally accepted as experts on health matters, their apparent undue pessimism about cancer prognosis is unfortunate.
(16) Unfortunately, few reflections concern the definition of this criterion, which often is little discussed in the other divisions of the pure and applied chemistry.
(17) Unfortunately for New Mexico State, and fortunately for everyone who had work the next day, there would be no double overtime.
(18) Unfortunately, despite being a much better tolerated curative procedure involving a very brief hospitalization, the use of high-energy direct current (DC) shocks is associated with a low but significant incidence of serious complications including cardiac perforation, hypotension, coronary artery spasm, and late occurrence of ventricular fibrillation.
(19) Unfortunately numerous methodological approaches have not been able to avoid the fact that the real value of such an early diagnosis is not always known.
(20) Unfortunately, the risk factors section in the pregnancy surveillance booklet does not receive sufficient medical documentation.