(a.) Withdraw from general intercourse or notice; in retirement or secrecy; secluded.
(a.) Faithful to a secret; not inclined to divulge or betray confidence; secretive.
(a.) Separate; distinct.
(a.) Something studiously concealed; a thing kept from general knowledge; what is not revealed, or not to be revealed.
(a.) A thing not discovered; what is unknown or unexplained; a mystery.
(a.) The parts which modesty and propriety require to be concealed; the genital organs.
(v. t.) To keep secret.
(1) In the absence of atrial dilatation there was minimal stimulus for ANF secretion.
(2) We have previously shown that serotonin is present in secretory granules of frog adrenochromaffin cells; concurrently, we have demonstrated that serotonin is a potent stimulator of corticosterone and aldosterone secretion by adrenocortical cells.
(3) We have investigated a physiological role of endogenous insulin on exocrine pancreatic secretion stimulated by a liquid meal as well as exogenous secretin and cholecystokinin octapeptide (CCK-8) in conscious rats.
(4) To examine the central nervous system regulation of duodenal bicarbonate secretion, an animal model was developed that allowed cerebroventricular and intravenous injections as well as collection of duodenal perfusates in awake, freely moving rats.
(5) The present study was therefore carried out to specify further which type of adrenoceptor is involved in lithium-induced hyperglycaemia and inhibition of insulin secretion.
(6) Significant increases in acid secretion were observed without changes in cyclic nucleotides.
(7) In summary, GABAergic tone did not effect basal acid secretion in anesthetized rats.
(8) The effects of glucagon-induced insulin secretion upon this lipid regulation are discussed that may resolve conflicting reports in the literature are resolved.
(9) Since the advance and return of sperm inside the tubes could facilitate the interaction of sperm with secretions participating in its maturation, the persistent infertility after vasectomy could be related to the contractile alteration that follows the excessive tubal distention.
(10) This suggests that a physiological mechanism exists which can increase the barrier pressure to gastrooesophageal reflux during periods of active secretion of the stomach, as occurs in digestion.
(11) "They wanted to pass it almost like a secret negotiation," she said.
(12) The secretion of GH as measured by increased plasma level, in response to oral administration of 500 mg L-dopa or 30 min-infusion of arginine, was not modified by prior intravenous administration of 200 micrograms GH-releasing hormone (GHRH).
(13) Short incubations with heparin (5 min) caused a release of the enzyme into the media, while longer incubations caused a 2-8-fold increase in net lipoprotein lipase secretion which was maximal after 2-16 h depending on cell type, and persisted for 24 h. The effect of heparin was dose-dependent and specific (it was not duplicated by other glycosaminoglycans).
(14) This experimental system allows separation of three B lymphocyte developmental stages: early differentiation in vitro, progression to IgM secretion in vivo, and late differentiation dependent upon mature T lymphocytes in vivo.
(15) These results provide evidence that trait selection can change gonadotrophin receptor concentration and the dynamics of hormone secretion during the oestrous cycle of the mouse.
(16) Caries-related bacteriological and biochemical factors were studied in 12 persons with low and 11 persons with normal salivary-secretion rates before and after a four-week period of frequent mouthrinses with 10% sorbitol solution (adaptation period).
(17) The sites of action for somatostatin and epinephrine to inhibit insulin secretion have been reported to be exclusively in the exocytotic pathway.
(18) Since intracellular Ca2+ seems to play a role in stimulus-secretion coupling and ion movements, several aspects of Ca2+ homeostasis have been investigated in CF.
(19) The Metoclopramide-induced secretion of prolactin and aldosterone was blunted in 6 patients pretreated with 200 mg ibopamine.
(20) On the basis of obtained data on the uniformity of chemical compounds of the secretion of glands belonging to different groups their common origin has been suggested.