(adv. & a.) Slopingly; aslant; declining from an upright direction; sloping.
(a.) Joining two not adjacent angles of a quadrilateral or multilateral figure; running across from corner to corner; crossing at an angle with one of the sides.
(n.) A right line drawn from one angle to another not adjacent, of a figure of four or more sides, and dividing it into two parts.
(n.) A member, in a framed structure, running obliquely across a panel.
(n.) A diagonal cloth; a kind of cloth having diagonal stripes, ridges, or welts made in the weaving.
(1) The adjacent gauge was separated from the ischemic segment by one large nonoccluded diagonal branch of the left anterior descending artery.
(2) The presence of the positive-off diagonal of the second-order kernel of respiratory control of heart rate is an indication of an escape-like phenomenon in the system.
(3) We have examined the distribution of galanin-like immunoreactive (LI) cell bodies in the medial septal nucleus (MS) and the nucleus of the diagonal band of Broca (nDBB) of young (3 months) and aged (25-30 months) rats, and assessed their respective contribution to the septohippocampal pathway.
(4) Cells from a spontaneously established lineage were grown on glass coverslips that fit diagonally in a standard curvette and intracellular pH (pHi) was measured.
(5) Moderately stained neurons with two or three prominent cell processes were observed in the nucleus of the diagonal band of Broca, globus pallidus, and substantia innominata.
(6) Biomechanical analysis of the crosscountry techniques has developed from rather simple 2-dimensional kinematic descriptions of diagonal stride to complex measurement of skating forces and 3-dimensional motion.
(7) injected at 13.45 h. Transection which interrupted the connection of septum (SEPT), diagonal band of Broca (DBB) and bed nucleus of stria terminalis (BST) with the preoptic-suprachiasmatic area interfered with ovulation and surge of release of all 3 hormones.
(8) The survival without infarction at 8 years was 52% in the patients with dysfunction of left anterior descending artery grafts and 89% when the diseased graft was located on another artery (right coronary, left marginal, diagonal).
(9) The atherosclerotic involvement of coronary branch vessels (first diagonal, first septal, posterior descending, left and right marginals, conus and the vessels supplying the conduction system) was investigated in 450 apparently healthy subjects aged 11-55 years who died of accidental causes.
(10) When Kristine Minde eluded Claire Rafferty at the far post she was well placed to meet Solveig Gulbrandsen’s long diagonal ball.
(11) Working in tandem with Westminster city council, Transport for London and the Greater London Authority, the crown estate has pedestrianised several side streets, widened pavements, and introduced a diagonal crossing at Oxford Circus and new traffic islands at Piccadilly Circus, along with two-way traffic on Piccadilly, Pall Mall and St James's Street.
(12) The morphology, ultrastructure and synaptic relationships of the cholinergic and non-cholinergic neurons in the medial septal nucleus (MS) and vertical limb of the diagonal band of Broca (VDB) in the basal forebrain of the rat were studied at the light and electron microscopic levels.
(13) The local cerebral glucose utilization was measured in the hippocampal formation 3, 21, and 90 days after bilateral lesions of the medial septal nucleus and the nucleus of the diagonal band of Broca by multiple ibotenic acid injections.
(14) A similar effect was also observed when astrocytes from the immature septum, hippocampus or cerebellum were co-cultured with neurons derived from the septal-diagonal band region.
(15) Recent studies have shown that the central cholinergic neurons in the septal-diagonal band area, nucleus basalis and striatum are sensitive to the neurotrophic protein nerve growth factor (NGF).
(16) Vessel attempted: Left anterior descending (3), circumflex (4), obtuse marginal (2), diagonal (1), right coronary artery (3), and internal thoracic artery (1).
(17) Immunoreactive LHRH (irLHRH) perikarya were situated in the vicinity of the organum vasculosum of the lamina terminalis (OVLT), i.e., in the medial preoptic nucleus and in the nucleus of the diagonal band of Broca.
(18) Belgium were playing a more patient passing game now and, when Origi hit the bar with a header from Mertens’ diagonal cross, it began to look unlikely that the USA would be able to hold out.
(19) The number of matches for each diagonal over the entire known sequence are tabulated and presented as an aid to locating comparisons of greatest interest.
(20) Coronary arteriography showed stenosis of the anterior interventricular artery and occlusion of the first diagonal artery; the other coronary vessels were normal.