What's the difference between asymmetrically and unsymmetrically?
(adv.) Not symmetrically.
(1) In the scope of our research about the antimicrobial activity of aldehyde-amin-condensates a number of partly new unsymmetrically substituted animals was synthesized by reaction of formaldehyde with different secondary amines.
(2) The thiocarboxyl group reacts with diaryl disulfides to give an unsymmetrical acyl disulfide in dimethylformamide (DMF) and a symmetrical diacyl disulfide in aqueous DMF.
(3) Embryotoxicity has been demonstrated at very high exposures but not at occupationally encountered levels for hydrazine and unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine.
(4) In an extension of promising inhibitory results in vitro against Histoplasma capsulatum, correlated earlier using substituent constants developed by regression analysis with 77 disulfides, one symmetrical and 14 unsymmetrical disulfides were prepared (3--17).
(5) These five-coordinate heme proteins afford a relatively weak and unsymmetric signal in the Soret region of the MCD spectrum.
(6) The alpha band was unsymmetrical and showed a main peak at 558 nm with a shoulder at around 556 nm.
(7) 1,1-Dimethylhydrazine or unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine (UDMH) is a highly volatile and reactive compound used primarily as a liquid rocket propellant.
(8) It may be shown, that unsymmetrically substituted animals have both germistatic activity mainly versus Staphylococcus aureus and Bacillus subtilis and germicidal activity especially versus Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Proteus vulgaris, Trichophyton mentagrophytes and Micosporum gypseum.
(9) There are two symmetry nonequivalent molecules in the unit cell, each of which has an unsymmetrical configuration with an unsymmetrical O-H...O = C intramolecular hydrogen bond.
(10) The synthesis of unsymmetrically substituted 1,4-bis[(aminoalkyl)amino]anthracene-9,10-diones bearing one "mitoxantrone side arm" and another (aminoalkyl)amino moiety has been described.
(11) In a modified Ames test system the unsymmetrically substituted chlorinated ethylenes are found mutagenic (tri-,1,1-dichloroethylene and vinyl chloride), whereas symmetrically substituted molecules are inactive.
(12) In at least two instances (the Ar H and the Ar 5-OCH3, 1 and 4) the unsymmetrical nitrogen substitution led to a substantial increase in potency as well as oral activity when compared to the symmetrical dimethyl homologues.
(13) Reduction with tributylphosphine in aqueous organic media generates the free thiol function for a selective conjugation of these immunomodulants with target molecules via unsymmetrical disulfide bridging with a second thiol group by the sulfenohydrazide procedure or via thio-ether linkage by the addition to maleimido--or aziridine-derivatives.
(14) A fluorogenic substrate with an unsymmetrical carbonyl for the sensitive assay of mammalian carbonyl reductase activities, 4-(6-methoxy-2-benzoxazolyl)acetophenone (I), has been prepared.
(15) A series of symmetrically and unsymmetrically N,N'-diaryl-substituted amidinomethyl diethyldithiocarbamates and corresponding amides have been synthesized and tested for potential radioprotective activity.
(16) The former are considered to be three-dimensionally unsymmetrical and curved, and the latter symmetrical and straight.
(17) Both symmetrical reagents (disulfiram, 2,2'- and 4,4'-dithiodipyridines) and unsymmetrical reagents (methyl diethylthiocarbamyl disulphide, methyl 2- and 4-pyridyl disulphides) were investigated.
(18) It is observed that the molecule adopts a novel unsymmetrical loop structure in this section which is characterised by sugar geometries which are significantly different compared to the rest of the molecular.
(19) The relative activity profile for unsymmetrical esters (5-15), which indicated the effect of cycloalkyl ring size on activity, was cyclopentyl > cyclohexyl > cyclobutyl.
(20) Although an increased production of aldehydes was observed with the induced microsomes compared with the non-induced microsomes, no marked differences were noted between the two alkyl groups of these unsymmetric nitrosodialkylamines in regard to the extent of alpha-hydroxylation with the exception of N-nitroso-N-methylbutylamine (NMBA).