(1) The interaction of the antibody with both the bacterial and the tissue derived polysialic acids suggests that the conformational epitope critical for the interaction is formed by both classes of compounds.
(2) The combined analysis of pathogenesis and genetics associated with the salmonella virulence plasmids may identify new systems of bacterial virulence and the genetic basis for this virulence.
(3) One thing seems to be noteworthy in their opinion: the bacterial resistance of the germs isolated from the urine is bigger than the one of the germs isolated from the respiratory apparatus.
(4) No significant change occurred in the bacterial population of our hospital unit during the period of the study (more than 3 years).
(5) The course of urogenital tuberculosis is complicated by unspecific bacterial infections of the urinary tract and nephrolithiasis.
(6) Concentrations of the drugs in feces increased with increasing dosage, resulting in greater changes of the intestinal bacterial flora.
(7) Single dose therapy is recommended as the treatment of choice for bacterial cystitis in domiciliary practice.
(8) In the study group 43 (64%) children had a confirmed bacterial AOM and 24 (36%) showed no bacterial growth from middle ear fluid.
(9) The genome characterization of the typing strains for all 13 species of the genus Staphylococcus, included into the Approval List of the Names of Bacterial (1980), is presented.
(10) In this study, bacterial flora, especially the occurrence of A. actinomycetemcomitans, in the periodontal pockets of one juvenile with gingivitis (G), one JP patients, five rapidly progressive periodontitis (RP) patients and one adult periodontitis(AP) patient, and one adult with healthy periodontium was investigated using a blood agar medium and a selective medium for A. actinomycetemcomitans.
(11) A large number of recently isolated bacterial pathogens were tested for susceptibility to cephalexin and cephaloglycin by the replica inoculating method.
(12) The bacterial-binding activity and mammalian receptor-binding activities in each of two samples co-chromatographed on a Remazol yellow GGL-Sepharose affinity column strongly indicated that the same immunoglobulin species reacts with both antigens.
(13) A randomised double-blind trial comparing this preparation with a so-called 'shotgun' combination containing 0.05% betamethasone 17-valerate, 0.1% gentamicin, 1.0% tolnaftate and 1.0% clioquinol in 288 patients in the Philippines resulted in a better efficacy for the diflucortolone preparation in the 80 patients with bacterially or mycotically infected skin diseases.
(14) For the purpose of studying the role of elastase and protease of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in bacterial infection in burns, the effects of the vaccines made from each enzyme, their toxoids and OEP on protection against infection in burned mice were studied.
(15) Bacterial adherence to vascular sutures was evaluated in vitro using radioactively labeled Staphylococcus aureus.
(16) CEA and bacterial antigens were not detected in the material, and the presence of alpha-fetoprotein, HLA and blood-group antigens may be ruled out on account of their respective molecular weights.
(17) Many of the pathophysiologic effects of bacterial endotoxin have recently been attributed to a monokine, tumor necrosis factor (TNF).
(18) 27 had fungal corneal ulcers and seven had bacterial corneal ulcers.
(19) The bacterial strains did not liberate free patulin from the adduct mixture present in the growth medium.
(20) Dialyzed crude enzyme extracts from yeast cells were found to destroy diacetyl in a manner quite similar to that of diacetyl reductase from Aerobacter aerogenes, and both the bacterial and the yeast extracts were stimulated significantly by the addition of reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH).
(1) When FLU-specific B cells were cultured in the presence of FLU-POL, the addition of rTRF markedly increased the frequencies of both proliferating clones and AFC clones above that induced by FLU-POL alone.
(2) The aim of the present investigation was to establish whether in advanced prostatic carcinoma in relapse treated with LHRH analogues combined with cyproterone acetate (CPA), substitution of this antiandrogen with another compound such as flutamide (FLU) might lead to further subjective and objective improvement.
(3) All children under 17 could be immunised against flu in a new effort by the NHS to limit the number of people affected by the illness.
(4) Most infections have flu-like symptoms including fever, coughing, sore throat, runny nose, and aches and pains.
(5) I haven't had the swine flu jab yet because I'm not in a risk group; but as soon as I can get it, I will.
(6) Of the HIV+ patients, four different response patterns were observed: (a) patients who responded to all four stimuli (16%); (b) patients who were selectively unresponsive to FLU and TET, but responded to ALLO and PHA (54%); (c) patients who were unresponsive to FLU, TET, or ALLO, but responsive to PHA (16%); and (d) patients who failed to respond to any of these stimuli (14%).
(7) That’s in the normal range, but should it go to 37.5 you may be whisked off to a holding centre as a suspect Ebola case, where – even if your fever is flu or more likely here, malaria – you will be detained with people who really do have this dangerously contagious virus.
(8) Flu cases rose steeply last week, up 44.9%, according to doctors reporting a surge of visits to their practices.
(9) The flu-like symptoms could be prevented by concomitant administration of paracetamol (500 mg. 3 times a day).
(10) Officials are investigating how the virus reached East Yorkshire, whether it could have be the result of commercial transport of birds, or carried by wild birds which are also affected by bird flu.
(11) With panic-inducing stories of deaths, rising infection rates and government failure to advertise the annual vaccination campaign, flu has once again reared its ugly head in our newspapers and across TV screens.
(12) The effects of Flu, ONO-3805, CMA and TZP-4238 on the accessory sex organs were investigated in castrated rats receiving DHEA-S and A.
(13) When compared to previously reported neuronal cell culture studies utilizing 3H-FLU specific binding, Ro5-4864-displaceable 3H-FLU binding, and protein determinations, glial cells appear to be significantly more resistant to chelated iron exposure.
(14) Normal mouse bone marrow cells were exposed to encephalomyocarditis virus (EMC), reovirus type 3 (REO3), influenza virus (FLU), and Newcastle disease virus (NDV) then assayed for granulocyte-macrophage precursor cells by the technique of colony formation in agar.
(15) In this study, prolactin (PRL) secretion was chosen as a parameter for functional exploration of central dopaminergic systems in normal and migraineous women before and after FLU treatment.
(16) In a statement, the chief medical officer, Professor Dame Sally Davies, said: "Severe winter flu and its complications can make people really ill and can kill, particularly those who are weak and frail which is why we already offer vaccinations to the most at risk groups.
(17) The primary dose-limiting toxicity in all these trials has been flu-like symptoms, particularly fever and fatigue.
(18) Concentrations of ETO and its active metabolite, FLU, were determined by HPTLC.
(19) In addition to the morphology of capillary loops, we investigated the transcapillary passage and interstitial distribution of sodium fluorescein (Na-flu) in healthy persons (42) and in patients suffering from functional microangiopathies (17) or organic vascular disease (58).
(20) In patients suffering from functional microangiopathy, an increased pericapillary FLI as well as an enlarged juxtacapillary zone with elevated Na-flu concentrations could be established as objective criteria in addition to the already known alterations of the morphology of the capillary loops.