(1) The interaction of the antibody with both the bacterial and the tissue derived polysialic acids suggests that the conformational epitope critical for the interaction is formed by both classes of compounds.
(2) The combined analysis of pathogenesis and genetics associated with the salmonella virulence plasmids may identify new systems of bacterial virulence and the genetic basis for this virulence.
(3) One thing seems to be noteworthy in their opinion: the bacterial resistance of the germs isolated from the urine is bigger than the one of the germs isolated from the respiratory apparatus.
(4) No significant change occurred in the bacterial population of our hospital unit during the period of the study (more than 3 years).
(5) The course of urogenital tuberculosis is complicated by unspecific bacterial infections of the urinary tract and nephrolithiasis.
(6) Concentrations of the drugs in feces increased with increasing dosage, resulting in greater changes of the intestinal bacterial flora.
(7) Single dose therapy is recommended as the treatment of choice for bacterial cystitis in domiciliary practice.
(8) In the study group 43 (64%) children had a confirmed bacterial AOM and 24 (36%) showed no bacterial growth from middle ear fluid.
(9) The genome characterization of the typing strains for all 13 species of the genus Staphylococcus, included into the Approval List of the Names of Bacterial (1980), is presented.
(10) In this study, bacterial flora, especially the occurrence of A. actinomycetemcomitans, in the periodontal pockets of one juvenile with gingivitis (G), one JP patients, five rapidly progressive periodontitis (RP) patients and one adult periodontitis(AP) patient, and one adult with healthy periodontium was investigated using a blood agar medium and a selective medium for A. actinomycetemcomitans.
(11) A large number of recently isolated bacterial pathogens were tested for susceptibility to cephalexin and cephaloglycin by the replica inoculating method.
(12) The bacterial-binding activity and mammalian receptor-binding activities in each of two samples co-chromatographed on a Remazol yellow GGL-Sepharose affinity column strongly indicated that the same immunoglobulin species reacts with both antigens.
(13) A randomised double-blind trial comparing this preparation with a so-called 'shotgun' combination containing 0.05% betamethasone 17-valerate, 0.1% gentamicin, 1.0% tolnaftate and 1.0% clioquinol in 288 patients in the Philippines resulted in a better efficacy for the diflucortolone preparation in the 80 patients with bacterially or mycotically infected skin diseases.
(14) For the purpose of studying the role of elastase and protease of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in bacterial infection in burns, the effects of the vaccines made from each enzyme, their toxoids and OEP on protection against infection in burned mice were studied.
(15) Bacterial adherence to vascular sutures was evaluated in vitro using radioactively labeled Staphylococcus aureus.
(16) CEA and bacterial antigens were not detected in the material, and the presence of alpha-fetoprotein, HLA and blood-group antigens may be ruled out on account of their respective molecular weights.
(17) Many of the pathophysiologic effects of bacterial endotoxin have recently been attributed to a monokine, tumor necrosis factor (TNF).
(18) 27 had fungal corneal ulcers and seven had bacterial corneal ulcers.
(19) The bacterial strains did not liberate free patulin from the adduct mixture present in the growth medium.
(20) Dialyzed crude enzyme extracts from yeast cells were found to destroy diacetyl in a manner quite similar to that of diacetyl reductase from Aerobacter aerogenes, and both the bacterial and the yeast extracts were stimulated significantly by the addition of reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH).
(n.) See Sty, a boil.
(1) Clegg rejected the suggestion that the riots were the fulfilment of his prediction, made prior to the election, that there would be Greek-stye riots over the Tory cuts plans.
(2) Surgical trauma preceded the development of two lesions in one patient and a second patient presented with a positive history of recurrent styes, a chalazion, and a questionable history of trauma to the lid.