(n.) A name given to the seed of certain leguminous herbs, chiefly of the genera Faba, Phaseolus, and Dolichos; also, to the herbs.
(n.) The popular name of other vegetable seeds or fruits, more or less resembling true beans.
(1) The optimum is 30 degrees C for the maize isolate and only 20 degrees C for the haricot bean isolate.
(2) A remarkably close relationship was found between both H. pylori urease subunits and jack bean (Canavalia ensiformis) urease, the subunit of which is a single 840 amino acid polypeptide.
(3) They could go out and trade for a pitcher such as the New York Mets’ Bartolo Colón , an obvious choice despite his 41 years, but he would come with an $11m price tag for next season and have to pass through the waiver wires process first – considering the wily mood Billy Beane is in this year, the A’s could be the team that blocks such a move.
(4) The buccal glands of adults of the Southern Hemisphere lamprey Geotria australis consist of a pair of small, bean-shaped, hollow sacs, embedded within the basilaris muscle in the region below the eyes and to either side of the piston cartilage.
(5) The IgE potentiating component in castor bean was found to enhance IgE responses to other antigens such as ovalbumin and when 0.8 microgram of an unheated castor bean extract was administered together with an optimal dose of ovalbumin, there was a substantial increase in ovalbumin-specific IgE but not IgG in all animals.
(6) precursor phaseolin) is incubated with jack bean alpha-mannosidase show that the high mannose glycan on Asn252, but not the one on Asn341, is susceptible to enzyme degradation.
(7) Middle component particles of bean pod mottle virus (BPMV) containing small protein subunits with a cleaved C terminus were used to produce monoclonal antibodies (MAbs).
(8) Phaseolus vulgaris leucoagglutinin (PHA-L), a kidney bean lectin used as an anterograde tracer, was iontophoretically injected into the posteroventral cochlear nucleus (PVCN) of guinea pigs.
(9) The plastocyanin content of etiolated bean leaves (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) was measured, and the development of the protein in response to light was followed.
(10) Adlloy, 0.3 g or 3 g per body weight (kg), was fed orally with the basal diet consisting of casein, sucrose, bean oil, mineral, and vitamin mixtures.
(11) The inhibitors tested in order of their decreasing effectiveness were alpha-1-proteinase inhibitor (alpha-1-antitrypsin), lima bean trypsin inhibitor, soybean trypsin inhibitor, Bowman-Birk (soybean) inhibitor, Kunitz pancreatic trypsin inhibitor, porcine Kazal inhibitor, and chicken ovomucoid.
(12) The bean sprout enzyme catalyzed ferredoxin-dependent electron transfer from NADPH to equine cytochrome c at a high rate but, unlike the spinach enzyme, exhibited little NADPH to 2,6-dichlorophenol indophenol diaphorase activity.
(13) In Rhodotorula, peroxisomes are characterized by the same "bean" configuration and paired arrangement imitating "copulation" as mitocondria.
(14) Studies with the mung bean enzyme revealed that the anti-alpha immunoreactive component was more sensitive to trypsinization than the anti-beta immunoreactive component of the Mr 60,000 protein band.
(15) October 11, 2012 And who wouldn't believe in Moneyball given the run that Billy Beane and his boys are having this season?
(16) Four cases of right lower quadrant abscess, each a clinical diagnostic dilemma, were recognized as abscesses surrounding a perforated viscus by application of the "coffee bean" sign on sonographic examination.
(17) Mutations in the hrpC locus, although preventing the bacteria from eliciting a hypersensitive reaction on tobacco, allowed the bacteria to produce delayed and attenuated symptoms in Red Kidney bean leaves and to multiply to a level 10(2)- to 10(3)-fold lower than that of the wild-type strain.
(18) Cases tended to consume slightly more rice, but less protein-rich foods (i.e., bean curd, meat, eggs) and vegetables than did controls.
(19) JP Bean tells the story of the folk revival of the 1950s and 60s, "not an easy task", added Cocker, "especially when the events in question took place many years ago and may have involved the consumption of alcohol".
(20) Beans were steamed-blanched at 100 degrees C for 2 minutes, and then canned and autoclaved at 121 degrees C for 10 minutes.
(n.) A species of cherry tree common in Europe (Prunus avium); also, the fruit, which is usually small and dark in color.