(prep.) In the space which separates; betwixt; as, New York is between Boston and Philadelphia.
(prep.) Used in expressing motion from one body or place to another; from one to another of two.
(prep.) Belonging in common to two; shared by both.
(prep.) Belonging to, or participated in by, two, and involving reciprocal action or affecting their mutual relation; as, opposition between science and religion.
(prep.) With relation to two, as involved in an act or attribute of which another is the agent or subject; as, to judge between or to choose between courses; to distinguish between you and me; to mediate between nations.
(prep.) In intermediate relation to, in respect to time, quantity, or degree; as, between nine and ten o'clock.
(n.) Intermediate time or space; interval.
(a.) Preceding in the order of time; former; antecedent; anterior; previous; as, a prior discovery; prior obligation; -- used elliptically in cases like the following: he lived alone [in the time] prior to his marriage.
(a.) The superior of a priory, and next below an abbot in dignity.
(1) Combination therapy was most effective in patients receiving HCTZ prior to enalapril.
(2) These results indicated that the PG determination was the most accurate predictor of fetal lung well-being prior to birth among the clinical tests so far reported.
(3) Prior to oral feeding, little or no ELA was detected in stools and endotoxinemia was ascertained in only six of 45 infants (13%).
(4) Release of 51Cr was apparently a function of immune thymus-derived lymphocytes (T cells) because it was abrogated by prior incubation of spleen cells with anti-thymus antiserum and complement but was undiminished by passage of spleen cells through nylon-wool columns.
(5) Prior to joining JOE Media, Will was chief commercial officer at Dazed Group, where he also sat on the board of directors.
(6) The secretion of GH as measured by increased plasma level, in response to oral administration of 500 mg L-dopa or 30 min-infusion of arginine, was not modified by prior intravenous administration of 200 micrograms GH-releasing hormone (GHRH).
(7) In a double-blind, crossover-designed study, 9 male subjects (age range: 18-25 years) received 25 mg orally, four times per day of either S or an identically-appearing placebo (P) 2 d prior to and during HA.
(8) The remainder of the radioactivity appeared chromatographically just prior to the bisantrene peak, indicating that compounds more polar than the parent were present as transformation products.
(9) The number of gastrin-immunoreactive cells actually decreases just prior to weaning but then increases at and after, weaning.
(10) Sephadex LH-20 column chromatography was used for the separation of the steroid prior to assay.
(11) Blood samples were collected from an antecubital vein at sea level (S1), in a base camp at 1515 m prior to the summit ascent (S2), on the summit at 3285 m after 6.5 hours of climbing (S3), at base camp immediately after the descent (S4), and at sea level following a trail descent from the base camp (S5).
(12) A direct radioimmunoassay method using highly specific antisera without prior deconjugation has been developed for determination of estradiol 17-glucuronide and estriol 16-glucuronide in human plasma.
(13) Multiple operations were done in 7 patients prior to the appropriate diagnosis and treatment.
(14) Symptoms consistent with major affective disorder were present in one half and depressive spectrum diagnoses were made in one fourth of the cases prior to final diagnosis.
(15) In the genitourinary clinic setting, clinical diagnosis prior to biopsy was found frequently to be inaccurate.
(16) None of these were apparent on prior roentgenograms of the chest.
(17) It has a poor prognosis prior to the current combined treatment of surgical ablation, radiation to the surgical field, and chemotherapy for microscopic metastases.
(18) The flow cytometric measured DNA content (i.e., DNA index), S-fractions, and histopathologic malignancy grades were studied for ninety uterine cervical squamous cell carcinomas using tissue biopsies taken prior to radiotherapy.
(19) The consequences of proved hypersensitivity in patients with metal-to-plastic prostheses, either present prior to insertion of the prosthesis or evoked by the implant material, are not known.
(20) However, the effect of prior jaw motion and the effect of the recording site on the EMG amplitudes and on the vertical dimension of minimum EMG activity have not been documented.