(adv.) Twice; -- a word showing that something is, or is to be, repeated; as a passage of music, or an item in accounts.
(1) The effect of 4,4'-methylene bis(2-chloroaniline) (MOCA), 4,4'-methylene dianiline (MDA) and 4,4'-sulphonyldianiline (Dapsone) in vivo on xenobiotic biotransformation in male rat liver was studied.
(2) Friend erythroleukemia cells were induced to differentiate by dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and hexamethylene-bis-acetamide (HBMA) in order to investigate whether their lipid characteristics, common to other systems of transformed cells, revert to a normal differentiation pattern.
(3) Male guinea pigs received either a single dose of As2O3 10 mg.kg-1 s.c. or repeated doses of 2.5 mg.kg-1 bis in die (b.i.d.)
(4) 1 Rats were convulsed once daily for 7 days by exposure to the inhalant convulsant agent, flurothyl (Indoklon, bis (2,2,2-trifluouroethyl)ether).
(5) Inhibition of spermidine and spermine synthesis by methylglyoxal bis (amidinohydrazone) did not affect virus replication.
(6) Several derivatives and analogs of the recently reported antiproliferative and antitumor agent trans-bis(salicylaldoximato)copper(II) (CuSAO2) have been prepared and tested for antiproliferative activity against L1210 leukemia cells in vitro.
(7) Depletion of extracellular Ca2+ by EGTA [ethylene glycol-bis(beta-aminoethyl ether)-N,N,N'N'-tetraacetic acid] attenuated both [Ca2+]i increase and superoxide production induced by particles.
(8) Three esterase inhibitors, phenylmethylsulfonyl fluoride, bis-(p-nitrophenyl)-phosphate, and diisopropylfluorophosphate, had no effect on the antidote effectiveness of N-acetylcysteine, although each provided partial protection against acetaminophen poisoning.
(9) Treatment of normal (human fibroblast line PA2 and mouse 3T3) and transformed (CHO, HeLa and SV3T3) cells with methylglyoxal bis-(guanyl-hydrazone) resulted in a significant decrease in the levels of spermidine and spermine which was associated with an inhibition of growth.
(10) Streptozotocin and the haloethyl nitrosoureas, chlorozotocin and bis-chloroethylnitrosourea were less efficient in inducing HPRT-deficient mutants and a smaller degree of protection was afforded by the transfected genes.
(11) A series of aryl phosphoglyceride (3, 19-61) and bis-aryl phosphate (67-135) antagonists of platelet activating factor (PAF) were prepared.
(12) In 1:1 saturated complexes with the octamers [d(GGATATCC)]2 and [d(GGTTAACC)]2, [N-MeCys3,N-MeCys7]TANDEM binds to each octamer as a bis-intercalator bracketing the TpA step.
(13) The mutagenic activation of these compounds was inhibited by bis(p-nitrophenyl)phosphate, which indicates that enzymatic deacetylation is a crucial step in the mutagenic activation.
(14) Chelation of extracellular calcium with ethyleneglycol-bis(beta-aminoethyl ether)N,N,N',N' tetraacetic acid (EGTA) did not abolish the increase in calcium.
(15) However, two observations suggested that surface epithelial loss alone was not sufficient to trigger the proliferative response to DOC: intracolonic instillation of DOC followed by removal of the DOC solution at 1 h, at which time surface epithelial loss was maximal, did not result in an increase in ornithine decarboxylase activity or [3H]dThd incorporation into DNA when these parameters were assessed at 4 h or 12 to 48 h, respectively; phenidone, an antioxidant and radical scavenger, and bis[(3,5-diisopropyl-salicylato) (O,O) copper(II), a lipophilic agent with superoxide dismutase activity, abolished the DOC mediated proliferative response but did not prevent the early loss of surface cells.
(16) The N-nitrosamines studied were, N-nitroso: dimethylamine, diethylamine, dipropylamine, dibutylamine, pyrrolidine, piperidine, morpholine, methylbenzylamine, bis-(2-hydroxypropyl)amine, bis-(2-oxopropyl)amine and 3,4-dichloropyrrolidine.
(17) A quantitative thin layer chromatographic (TLC) method has been developed for determination of the antiarrhythmic quaternary ammonium compound N,N-bis (phenylcarbamoyl methyl) dimethylammonium chloride (QX-572) in biological materials.
(18) Probing of the active site of microsomal cytochrome P-450 was carried out with a spin label derived from 2-methyl-1,2-bis(3-pyridyl)-1-propanone (metyrapone).
(19) The subsequent conversion of intermediate 1 to 4-carboxy-2'-hydroxy-1,1'-(oxydimethylene)bis(pyridinium) cation (intermediate 2) followed higher order kinetics which were consistent with either acid- or base-promoted hydrolysis of the B-ring amide functionality.
(20) A new method for the high performance liquid chromatographic (HPLC) determination of N-(N-acetyl-L-methionyl)-O,O-bis(ethoxycarbonyl)dopamine (TA-870), a dopamine prodrug, in biological fluid has been developed.
(n.) A colloquial abbreviation of Sister.
(n.) Six. See Sise.
(1) Chromatographic separation revealed that the bulk (85%) of the mitogenic activity in SSV-transformed NRK cells was not due to p28v-sis but rather two distinct endothelial cell growth factors that eluted off heparin-Sepharose between 1 and 2 M NaCl.
(2) To get an insight into the nature of variant Ph translocations and the process of their formation, we examined the localization of the c-abl and c-sis oncogenes and the breakpoint cluster region (bcr) gene by chromosomal in situ hybridization in ten variant Ph translocations of CML including five simple and five complex ones as initially interpreted.
(3) Loss of a c-sis allele (allele I in all cases) was observed in 6 out of 10 tumors from heterozygous patients.
(4) Cells transformed by v-sis produce a platelet-derived growth factor-related molecule which is able to stimulate the platelet-derived growth factor receptor in an autocrine fashion.
(5) The v-sis oncogene of simian sarcoma virus (SSV) is a retroviral version of the PDGF B chain gene and SSV-transformation is mediated by an autocrine PDGF-like growth factor.
(6) Messenger RNA levels for v-sis were induced by tension in intact but not denuded vessels.
(7) In both loci, similar unique genetic sequences were found upstream of the v-sis homologous region and these hybridized to a 4.2 kbp c-sis transcript in human lung tumor cells.
(8) First, we investigated the expression of c-sis protooncogenes within cultured human glioma cell lines and also fresh glioma specimens by using polymerase chain reaction.
(9) The v-sis gene encodes chain B of platelet-derived growth factor.
(10) However, in tissue adjacent to 5 different tumors, approximately the same level of c-sis mRNA was seen.
(11) c-sis mRNA levels diminished with increased time of infection.
(12) For example, platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) has been found in many normal tissues including the CNS, while minor changes in one of its forms (PDGF-B) converts it to the v-sis oncogene, capable of inducing sarcomas and astrocytomas in primates.
(13) SIS SVB was performed to a variety of vessel combinations using "Y" graft, continuous, or vein extension techniques achieving early patency in all limbs, despite pedal arch disease.
(14) Radiolabeled recombinant PDGF (c-sis) dissociated from Heparin-Sepharose within a concentration range of NaCl similar to that of RF I.
(15) increased cell size, reduced growth rate, megakaryocytic antigens, and expression of the sis proto-oncogene, the structural gene for the B-chain of platelet-derived growth factor.
(16) In human malignant mesothelioma cell lines elevated expression of the platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) beta-chain (c-sis) gene was previously reported, while normal mesothelial cells barely express this gene.
(17) The same temporal dissociation was observed when a recombinant v-sis product was used instead of porcine PDGF.
(18) Reduced function of runt results in female-specific lethality and sexual transformation of XX animals that are heterozygous for Sxl or sis loss-of-function mutations.
(19) Several specific related questions are addressed in this discussion: Is the protein encoded by the v-sis gene functionally identical to PDGF?
(20) This suggests that H-ras is less efficient in relieving the insulin requirement than is sis.