(1) One hour after direct mechanical cardiomassage (DMCM) a moderately pronounced edema of the intercellular spaces in the basal compartment of the seminiferous epithelium, normal content of lactate and succinate dehydrogenases, and a certain decrease in the activity of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenases and NAD- and NADP-diaphorases were noted.
(2) Work on humoral responses has focused on lysozyme, the hemagglutinins (especially in the oyster), and the clearance of certain antigens.
(3) Stress is laid on certain principles of diagnostic research in the event of extra-suprarenal pheochromocytomas.
(4) As a group, the three mammalian proteins resemble bovine serum conglutinin and behave as lectins with rather broad sugar specificities directed at certain non-reducing terminal N-acetylglucosamine, mannose, glucose and fucose residues, but with subtle differences in fine specificities.
(5) A segment of vas deferens was transplanted to the contralateral deferens with the intention of improving treatment for certain cases of infertility caused by obstruction.
(6) hypoglossal nucleus), whereas in other areas the angiotensinogen gene was expressed only in a certain population of glial cells.
(7) The following conclusions emerge: (i) when the 3' or the 3' penultimate base of the oligonucleotide mismatched an allele, no amplification product could be detected; (ii) when the mismatches were 3 and 4 bases from the 3' end of the primer, differential amplification was still observed, but only at certain concentrations of magnesium chloride; (iii) the mismatched allele can be detected in the presence of a 40-fold excess of the matched allele; (iv) primers as short as 13 nucleotides were effective; and (v) the specificity of the amplification could be overwhelmed by greatly increasing the concentration of target DNA.
(8) Certainly, Saunders did not land a single blow that threatened to stop his opponent, although he took quite a few himself that threatened his titles in the final few rounds.
(9) We present a mathematical model that is suitable to reconcile this apparent contradiction in the interpretation of the epidemiological data: the observed parallel time series for the spread of AIDS in groups with different risk of infection can be realized by computer simulation, if one assumes that the outbreak of full-blown AIDS only occurs if HIV and a certain infectious coagent (cofactor) CO are present.
(10) HDAra-C in combination with anthracyclines is now considered to be a treatment which may afford some hope of a cure in a certain percentage of cases of adult acute non-lymphocytic leukemia.
(11) These results suggest that a certain minimum level of expression of c-myc is required for the maintenance of ras transformation in NIH 3T3 cells.
(12) This "paradox of redistribution" was certainly observable in Britain, where Welfare retained its status as one of the 20th century's most exalted creations, even while those claiming benefits were treated with ever greater contempt.
(13) In certain cases, the effects of these substances are enhanced, in others, they are inhibited by compounds that were isolated from natural sources or prepared by chemical synthesis.
(14) Accumulating evidence indicates that for most tumors, the switch to the angiogenic phenotype depends upon the outcome of a balance between angiogenic stimulators and angiogenic inhibitors, both of which may be produced by tumor cells and perhaps by certain host cells.
(15) The findings indicate that these spaces were lined by a lipid monolayer which formed bilayered lamellae under certain conditions.
(16) Positive feedback effects on serum gonadotrophins in castrates were observed following injection of certain doses of some steroids.
(17) Hence, presence of IgG rheumatoid factor correlated positively with the presence of rheumatoid disease, and evidence was established that certain features of rheumatoid inflammation occur in dental periapical lesions of many patients with rheumatoid disease.
(18) The typology developed in two previous surveys of illicit heroin products is applicable to many of the samples studied in this work, although significant changes have occurred in the chemical profile of illicit heroin products from certain geographical regions.
(19) The presence of an inverse correlation between certain tryptophan metabolites, shown previously to be bladder carcinogens, and the N-nitrosamine content, especially after loading, was interpreted in view of the possible conversion of some tryptophan metabolites into N-nitrosamines either under endovesical conditions or during the execution of the colorimetric determination of these compounds.
(20) An electrogenic sodium-potassium pump appears to contribute materially to the steady-state potential and to certain of the transient potential responses of vascular smooth muscle.
(adv.) In a probable manner; in likelihood.
(1) Without medication atypical ventricular tachycardia develops, in the author's opinion, most probably when bradycardia has persisted for a prolonged period.
(2) PMS is more prevalent among women working outside the home, alcoholics, women of high parity, and women with toxemic tendency; it probably runs in families.
(3) In dogs, cibenzoline given i.v., had no effects on the slow response systems, probably because of sympathetic nervous system intervention since the class 4 effects of cibenzoline appeared after beta-adrenoceptor blockade.
(4) Results indicated a .85 probability that Directive Guidance would be followed by Cooperation; a .67 probability that Permissiveness would lead to Noncooperation; and a .97 likelihood that Coerciveness would lead to either Noncooperation or Resistance.
(5) This may be due to efficient replacement of Leu by Phe at CUC (and, probably, CUU) codons throughout the genome.
(6) Quantitative determinations indicate that the amount of PBG-D mRNA is modulated both by the erythroid nature of the tissue and by cell proliferation, probably at the transcriptional level.
(7) This difference is probably secondary to the different rates of delivery of furosemide into urine.
(8) Estimates of the risk probability for each dose level and sacrifice time are found utilizing the sample likelihood as the posterior density.
(9) Because of the short detachment interval, and the absence of underlying pathology or trauma, the recovery process described here probably represents an example of optimum recovery after retinal reattachment.
(10) A re-examination of the literature indicates that many phagocytes previously unidentified or considered to be microglial cells are probably beta astrocytes.
(11) That suggests they are being replenished by sulphur dioxide, most probably from volcanoes.
(12) Asthma is probably the commonest chronic disease in the United Kingdom, and its attendant morbidity extends outside the possible scope of the hospital sector.
(13) It is concluded that fibroblast replication is an important mechanism leading to the pathologic fibrosis seen in graft versus host disease and, by analogy, probably other types of immunologically mediated fibrosis.
(14) Probability distributions are fitted to these data and it is shown that the log-series distribution best fits the data for two subgroups.
(15) The increased muscular strength in due to a rise of calcaemia, improved muscle contraction and probably also due to the mentioned nutritional factors.
(16) At 100 microM-ACh the apparent open time became shorter probably due to channel blockade by ACh molecules.
(17) Of the 16 cases, 14 (88%) were diagnosed as TSS or probable TSS by the attending physician, although only nine (64%) of the 14 diagnosed cases were given the correct discharge code.
(18) These results indicate that both racemic and L-baclofen inhibit trigeminal transmission in man, probably because they interfere with excitatory transmission through the interneurons of the lateral reticular formation.
(19) A second Scottish referendum has turned from a highly probable event into an almost inevitable one.
(20) However, since these levels were unaltered by reducing the antiandrogen dosage, the main action of the therapy is probably that of the antiandrogen within the target cells.