(v. t.) To look at on all sides or in all its bearings; to view or consider with continued attention; to regard with deliberate care; to meditate on; to study.
(v. t.) To consider or have in view, as contingent or probable; to look forward to; to purpose; to intend.
(v. i.) To consider or think studiously; to ponder; to reflect; to muse; to meditate.
(1) If Cory Bernardi wasn’t currently in a period of radio silence as he contemplates his immediate political future he’d be all over this too, mining the Trumpocalypse – or in our domestic context, mining the fertile political fault line where Coalition support intersects with One Nation support.
(2) I did not - do not - quite understand how some are able to contemplate his anti-semitism with indifference.
(3) The algorithms involved are simple and a microprocessor-based automatic PCG analysis system using the proposed technique is being contemplated.
(4) It should also be contemplated, as an alternative to elective cesarean section for a transverse lie or breech presentation of the second fetus.
(5) It won’t happen suddenly, but the most likely outcome for European social democracy is the one being secretly contemplated on the Labour backbenches: a fusion with liberalised conservatism.
(6) Photograph: Martin Argles for the Guardian A journey that started five years ago with a promise to bring Labour together – to avoid the civil strife that traditionally followed election defeat – risks ending where it began: contemplating electoral wilderness.
(7) The EU could not contemplate Turkey joining at some point in the future with free movement in its current form.
(8) Women with hereditary telangiectasia contemplating pregnancy should be screened for the presence of PAVM to anticipate complications.
(9) More than once, I have seen him stop in front of a slide with a graph on it, and become so engaged in contemplation of a particular data point that he grew oblivious of the audience.
(10) That is an awkward, indeed risky, time to be contemplating takeoff.
(11) Any action to restrict travel would force The Trump Organisation to immediately end these and all future investments we are currently contemplating in the United Kingdom.
(12) When my floor was dirty, I rose early, and, setting all my furniture out of doors on the grass, bed and bedstead making but one budget, dashed water on the floor, and sprinkled white sand from the pond on it, and then with a broom scrubbed it clean and white... Further - and this is a stroke of his sensitive, pawky genius - he contemplates his momentarily displaced furniture and the nuance of enchanting strangeness: It was pleasant to see my whole household effects out on the grass, making a little pile like a gypsy's pack, and my three-legged table, from which I did not remove the books and pen and ink, standing amid the pines and hickories ...
(13) Adult subjects (N = 866) were classified into five stages of change: precontemplation, contemplation, action, maintenance, and relapse.
(14) Surgical treatment was carried out without the aid of cardiopulmonary by-pass, although this had been contemplated.
(15) As Johanna Konta contemplates the next stage of her wide-reaching tennis journey and a possible place in the fourth round of the US Open, she recalls in a quiet moment how it all started, and how she might never have played the game at all but for the fact there were tennis courts next to her school.
(16) I was left to contemplate my crime: I had not applied for permission (which I knew I would be refused) to visit this village.
(17) Lillian, a pensioner who has lived in Enschede most of her life, was also contemplating a vote for the SP.
(18) Meanwhile defence minister David Johnston says the intelligence cooperation between the Five Eyes partners – the UK, US, Australia, New Zealand and Canada – has achieved too much to “ even contemplate a backward step ”.
(19) An interesting contribution to the debate about the rules the intelligence services might use was made by the former head of GCHQ, Sir David Omand , who recently drafted a checklist of criteria that anyone in his former trade contemplating invasions of privacy should ask themselves.
(20) The association of a heart defect with ventricular hypertrophy, or the coexistence of several associated accessory pathways prevents such correlation and makes it imperative to carry out intracavitary investigation and epicardial mapping to localise the accessory pathway if surgery is contemplated.
(v. t.) To examine, as a wound, an ulcer, or some cavity of the body, with a probe.
(v. t.) Fig.: to search to the bottom; to scrutinize or examine thoroughly.
(n.) An instrument for examining the depth or other circumstances of a wound, ulcer, or cavity, or the direction of a sinus, of for exploring for bullets, for stones in the bladder, etc.
(1) A series of human cDNA clones of various sizes and relative localizations to the mRNA molecule were isolated by using the human p53-H14 (2.35-kilobase) cDNA probe which we previously cloned.
(2) Theophylline kinetics, as an in vivo probe for the potentially toxic cytochrome P-450I pathway of drug metabolism, were studied in 11 healthy volunteers and 11 patients with calcific chronic pancreatitis at Madras, South India.
(3) Five probes of high specificity to individual chromosomes (chromosomes 3, 11, 17, 18 and X) were hybridized in situ to metaphase chromosomes of different individuals.
(4) In order to determine the extent of this similarity, I have developed a panel of probes for many of the Pacl restriction fragments and have shown that most of the Pacl and Notl fragments found in MBa are also present in MBb.
(5) The haplotype of the recombinant X chromosome of each of 241 backcross progeny has been established using the X-linked anchor loci Otc, Hprt, Dmd, Pgk-1, and Amg and the additional probes DXSmh43 and Cbx-rs1.
(6) Periodontal disease activity is defined clinically by progressive loss of probing attachment and radiographically by progressive loss of alveolar bone.
(7) The mean histamine level in the first 10-min sample following probe insertion was 39.4 nM.
(8) Five of them had a fast-moving Eco RI fragment 5.6 kb long that hybridized with zeta-specific probe but not with alpha-specific probe.
(9) We studied the haemodynamic (ultrasound Doppler flow probes) effects of synthetic atriopeptin II at natriuretic doses in conscious rats.
(10) DNA from 9% (47 of 529) of the E. coli colonies tested hybridized with the ST probe, whereas only 5% (28 of 529) produced ST as measured by the suckling mouse bioassay.
(11) Likewise, they had little or no effects on the fluorescence anisotropy of TMA-DPH, which is also thought to be located in the interfacial region of the lipid bilayer, either when the probe was located in the outer layer of the plasma membrane or when the probe was located in the inner membrane compartment.
(12) Sequence specific binding of protein extracts from 13 different yeast species to three oligonucleotide probes and two points mutants derived from Saccharomyces cerevisiae DNA binding proteins were tested using mobility shift assays.
(13) The probe has been used for the identification of new Legionella-like strains isolated from the environment.
(14) Therefore, we conclude this is a bovine DR beta-like pseudogene, BoDR beta I. Exon-containing regions have been used as probes in Southern blot analyses of bovine genomic DNA digested with EcoRI.
(15) The adherence of 51Cr-labeled platelets to rabbit aortae everted on probes rotated in platelet-red cell suspensions has been measured.
(16) A 2.7-kilobase DNA fragment carrying the entire exotoxin A (ETA) structural gene was divided into three nonoverlapping probes.
(17) The indication of the DNA probe method would be considered in the four cases as follows, 1. necessity of the special equipment to isolate the pathogen, 2. necessity of the long period to isolate the pathogen, 3. existence of the cross reaction among the pathogen and relative organisms in the immunological procedure, 4. existence of the difficulty to identify the species of the pathogen by the ordinary procedure.
(18) Slight cross-reactivity was apparent when crude preparations of cellular or culture filtrate antigens, used in this laboratory to detect antibodies to Candida albicans, Coccidioides immitis and Cryptococcus neoformans, were probed with hyperimmune rabbit antisera to A. fumigatus.
(19) The results, together with the known geometry of the enzyme, indicate that active site probes in the dodecamer are widely separated and that energy transfer occurs from a single donor to two or three acceptors on adjacent subunits.
(20) The availability of locus-specific probes should significantly expand the role of minisatellite markers in population biology.