(a.) Given to opposition; perverse; forward; wayward; as, a contrary disposition; a contrary child.
(a.) Affirming the opposite; so opposed as to destroy each other; as, contrary propositions.
(n.) A thing that is of contrary or opposite qualities.
(n.) An opponent; an enemy.
(n.) the opposite; a proposition, fact, or condition incompatible with another; as, slender proofs which rather show the contrary. See Converse, n., 1.
(n.) See Contraries.
(1) In this review, we demonstrate that serum creatinine does not provide an adequate estimate of glomerular filtration rate (GFR), and contrary to recent teachings, that the slope of the reciprocal of serum creatinine vs time does not permit an accurate assessment of the rate of progression of renal disease.
(2) These results do not support the view that in the rat pheromones from adult males enhance puberty in females, contrary to what is known to happen in the mouse.
(3) The sensitivity of SPECT for detection of overall coronary stenosis was 79%, contrary that of treadmill exercise test was only 33% (p < 0.001).
(4) Contrary to expectations, low SES was not associated with greater levels of hyperglycemia or grades of retinopathy.
(5) After examining the cases reported in literature (Sacks, Barabas, Beighton Sykes), they point out that, contrary to what is generally believed, the syndrome is not rare and cases, sporadic or familial, of recurrent episodes of spontaneous rupture of the intestine and large vessels or peripheral arteries are frequent.
(6) Contrary to expectations, it was determined that ATP was not the only nucleotide which enhanced Ca2(+)-induced secretion in the presence of Mg2+.
(7) Contrary to previous reports, approximately 20% of the neurons in V3 were color selective in terms of showing a severalfold greater response to the best monochromatic wavelength compared with the worst.
(8) Contrary to expectations, it was found that psychological variables had some prognostic significance for outcome assessed by medical measures of illness severity.
(9) Contrary to current knowledge there was no statistically significant difference in the velocities of nerve conduction on the left and right sides of these subjects.
(10) Contrary to the intentions of the devisers of this scale, it has been found that, significantly different assessments may result when the same patient is rated by various groups (psychiatrists, psychologists, students and psychiatric nurses).
(11) However, contrary to some previous reports the incidences of anemia, cesarean sections, induced labor, dysmaturity and perinatal deaths were decreased.
(12) On the other hand, with simultaneous doses of the two substances, the blood toluene concentration was higher for the first 15-30 min than the ethanol control and the urinary excretion of hippuric acid, a main metabolite of toluene, was markedly decreased for the first 2 h. The blood ethanol in this group, on the contrary, was reduced until 1 h after administration.
(13) Contrary to the claims of some commentators, such as Steve Vladeck , it is impossible to argue reasonably that the memo imposed a requirement of "infeasibility of capture" on Obama's assassination power.
(14) "On the contrary, they often serve to inflame rather than mollify the feelings of those involved."
(15) Quite the contrary, in cases of higher nervous activity disturbances, destruction of the organelles and desintegration of spine apparatuses is clearly pronounced.
(16) On the contrary, catatonic forms had decreased very much since the utilization of neuroleptics (they moved from 18 to 28% before neuroleptic periods to 2% after the beginning of utilization of neuroleptics).
(17) These last specialized characters are observed, on the contrary, in species parasitic in Lagomorpha.
(18) Contrary to adults, fractures misdiagnosed in radiography often result in significant reduction of joint function.
(19) Gerson Zweifach, general counsel for both News Corp and 21st Century Fox , Murdoch’s film and TV business, said: “We are grateful that this matter has been concluded and acknowledge the fairness and professionalism of the Department of Justice throughout this investigation.” It is understood there has been no background settlement with the Department of Justice in order to avoid a full-blown investigation, contrary to speculation in New York over a year ago that the company was looking at a possible payment of over $850m.
(20) Colon and rectum, leukemia, and breast cancers were found to have very high positive spatial autocorrelation and high correlation with population density--a result contrary to previous findings in the West.
(adv.) At which place; where.
(conj.) Considering that; it being the case that; since; -- used to introduce a preamble which is the basis of declarations, affirmations, commands, requests, or like, that follow.
(conj.) When in fact; while on the contrary; the case being in truth that; although; -- implying opposition to something that precedes; or implying recognition of facts, sometimes followed by a different statement, and sometimes by inferences or something consequent.
(1) This trend appeared to reverse itself in the low dose animals after 3 hr, whereas in the high dose group, cardiac output continued to decline.
(2) Patients with papillary carcinoma with a good cell-mediated immune response occurred with much lower infiltration of the tumor boundary with lymphocyte whereas the follicular carcinoma less cell-mediated immunity was associated with dense lymphocytic infiltration, suggesting the biological relevance of lymphocytic infiltration may be different for the two histologic variants.
(3) There was appreciable variation in toothbrush wear among subjects, some reducing their brush to a poor state in 2 weeks whereas with others the brush was rated as "good" after 10 weeks.
(4) The most actively proliferating region of the excurrent duct system is zone 3 of the epididymis, whereas the least active region is the ductuli efferentes.
(5) The newborn with critical AS typically presents with severe cardiac failure and the infant with moderate failure, whereas children may be asymptomatic.
(6) F(420) is photolabile aerobically in neutral and basic solutions, whereas the acid-stable chromophore is not photolabile under these conditions.
(7) Application of 40 microM NiCl2 reversibly blocked It while leaving Is intact, whereas 20 microM CdCl2 reversibly blocked Is, but not It.
(8) When micF was cloned into a high-copy-number plasmid it repressed ompF gene expression, whereas when cloned into a low-copy-number plasmid it did not.
(9) Ethanol and L-ethionine induce acute steatosis without necrosis, whereas azaserine, carbon tetrachloride, and D-galactosamine are known to produce steatosis with varying degrees of hepatic necrosis.
(10) Whereas strain Ga-1 was practically avirulent for mice, strain KL-1 produced death by 21 days in 50% of the mice inoculated.
(11) Eighty-two per cent of patients with falciparum malaria had recently returned from Africa whereas 82% with vivax malaria had visited Asia.
(12) The results indicate that OA-bearing macrophages primed T cells and generated helper T cells, whereas the culture of normal lymphocytes with soluble OA in the absence of macrophages generated suppressor T cells.
(13) After midazolam infusion, there was a 50% decrease in amplitude of P3 in response to target tones (P less than 0.006), whereas N3 latency increased by 40 ms (P less than 0.05).
(14) Maximal yields of lipid and aflatoxin were obtained with 30% glucose, whereas mold growth, expressed as dry weight, was maximal when the medium contained 10% glucose.
(15) Epidermal growth factor reduced plating efficiency by about 50% for A431 cells in different cell cycle phases whereas a slight increase in plating efficiency was seen for SiHa cells.
(16) Peak Expiratory Flow and Forced Expiratory Mean Flows in the ranges 0-25%, 25-50% and 50-75% of Forced Vital Capacity were significantly reduced in animals exposed to gasoline exhaust fumes, whereas the group exposed to ethanol exhaust fumes did not differ from the control group.
(17) When the eye was dissected into anterior uveal, scleral, and retinal complexes, prostaglandin D2 was formed in the highest degree in all the complexes, whereas prostaglandin E2 and F2 alpha formation was specific to given ocular regions.
(18) This mAb inhibited monocyte binding of both soluble FITC-labeled IgA and IgA-coated E, whereas it did not inhibit IgG binding.
(19) Chloroquine induced large cytoplasmic vacuoles, whereas the other drugs (quinacrine, 4,4'-diethylaminoethoxyhexestrol, chlorphentermine, iprindole, 1-chloro-amitriptyline, clomipramine) caused formation of lamellated or crystalloid inclusions as usually seen in drug-induced lipidosis.
(20) hypoglossal nucleus), whereas in other areas the angiotensinogen gene was expressed only in a certain population of glial cells.