(n.) The female of certain large mammals, as whales, seals, etc.
(v. t.) To depress with fear; to daunt the spirits or courage of; to overawe.
(n.) A wedge, or brake, to check the motion of a machine or car; a chock.
(1) Increased plasmin activity was associated with advancing stage of lactation and older cows after appropriate adjustments were made for the effects of milk yield and SCC.
(2) Abruptly changing cows from one feeding system to another did not influence milk yield, milk composition, or body weight gain.
(3) Angus (A), Charolais (C), Hereford (H), Limousin (L), and Simmental (S) breeds were included in deterministic computer models simulating integrated cow-calf-feedlot production systems.
(4) Ernst Reissner studied the formation of the inner ear initially using the embryos of fowls, then the embryos of mammals, mainly cows and pigs, and to a less extent the embryos of man.
(5) The relative effect of the intramammary infections and of different factors related to the cow (parity, stage of lactation, milk yield) on the individual cell counts, were studied for 30 months on the 62 black-and-white Holstein cows of an experimental herd.
(6) Sires of the cows had been divergently selected on yearling weight (YW) and total maternal (MAT) EPD to form four groups: high YW, high MAT EPD; high YW, low MAT EPD; low YW, high MAT EPD; and low YW, low MAT EPD.
(7) The surface phenotypes of bovine intestinal leukocytes isolated from the intraepithelium (IEL), lamina propria (LPL) and Peyer's patches (PPL) of the small intestinal mucosa of normal adult cows were determined using monoclonal antibodies (mAb) specific to adult bovine peripheral blood leukocytes (PBL).
(8) To evaluate B cell percentage as a means of detecting subclinical progression of bovine leukemia virus infection, an index was developed based upon the distribution of B cell percentages in seronegative cows.
(9) This indicates a potential use for 1,25(OH)2D3 to prevent and treat hypocalcaemic cows with or without concurrent hypomagnesaemia.
(10) It was also established that the Y. enterocolitica strains isolated from raw cow milk did not refer to the European serotypes 0:3 and 0:9 that were pathogenic for humans.
(11) During a single reversal trial of two 2-wk experimental periods, teats of all glands of 12 Holstein cows were subjected to a milking routine conducive to large vacuum fluctuations and flooded teat cups.
(12) Total white cell counts were reviewed in paediatric in-patients with viral gastroenteritis, bacterial gastroenteritis, delayed recovery following acute gastroenteritis, viral lower respiratory tract infections and cow's milk protein intolerance.
(13) In experiment II, RS cows had a higher pregnancy rate (87.6% vs 66.0%, P less than 0.05) and a shorter postpartum interval (83 vs 101 days, P less than 0.05) than did NS cows.
(14) Combining data on cows with productive and salvaged outcomes as satisfactory outcome, and terminal as unsatisfactory outcome, total correct classification was 90.7% for the admission model and 93.2% for the surgical model.
(15) [3H]-oxytocin was specifically bound to the 105,000 X g particulate fractions from 5 lactating cows and 5 non-lactating cows.
(16) One hundred and forty six calving interval records were built up from 64 N'Dama cows maintained for 3.5 years under a high natural tsetse challenge in Zaire.
(17) Following parturition, NONLAC cows averaged 4.0 d to negative EB nadir and 14.3 d to first ovulation.
(18) Eight periparturient cows were on a high Ca diet prepartum.
(19) The effect on milk yield, milk leucocyte concentration, and milk prolactin of dominance rank and introduction of "strange" cows into a group was studied.
(20) Preserving alfalfa as silage and feeding in a TMR to cows in early lactation resulted in greater milk production via increased DMI or improved feed efficiency compared with preserving alfalfa as hay and feeding grain separately.
(adv.) At the present time; at this moment; at the time of speaking; instantly; as, I will write now.
(adv.) Very lately; not long ago.
(adv.) At a time contemporaneous with something spoken of or contemplated; at a particular time referred to.
(adv.) In present circumstances; things being as they are; -- hence, used as a connective particle, to introduce an inference or an explanation.