(n.) One who demonstrates; one who proves anything with certainty, or establishes it by indubitable evidence.
(n.) A teacher of practical anatomy.
(1) The Na+ ionophore, gramicidin, had a small but significant inhibitory effect on Na(+)-dependent KG uptake, demonstrating that KG uptake was not the result of an intravesicular positive Na+ diffusion potential.
(2) Patient plasma samples demonstrated evidence of marked complement activation, with 3-fold elevations of C3a desArg concentrations by the 8th day of therapy.
(3) The influence of the various concepts for the induction of lateral structure formation in lipid membranes on integral functional units like ionophores is demonstrated by analysing the single channel current fluctuations of gramicidin in bimolecular lipid membranes.
(4) Of the patients 73% demonstrated clinically normal sensibility test results within 23 days after operation.
(5) Lucy and Ed will combine coverage of hard and breaking news with a commitment to investigative journalism, which their track record so clearly demonstrates”.
(6) These immunocytochemical studies clearly demonstrated that cells encountered within the fibrous intimal thickening in the vein graft were inevitably smooth muscle cell in origin.
(7) Competition with the labelled 10B12 MAb for binding to the purified antigen was demonstrated in sera of tumor-bearing and immune rats.
(8) Using monoclonal antibodies directed against the plasma membrane of Madin-Darby canine kidney (MDCK) cells, we demonstrated previously that a glycoprotein with an Mr = 23,000 (gp23) had a non-polarized cell surface distribution and was observed on both the apical and basolateral membranes (Ojakian, G. K., Romain, R. E., and Herz, R. E. (1987) Am.
(9) These results demonstrate that increased availability of galactose, a high-affinity substrate for the enzyme, leads to increased aldose reductase messenger RNA, which suggests a role for aldose reductase in sugar metabolism in the lens.
(10) Intravesical BCG is clearly superior to oral BCG, and controlled studies have demonstrated that percutaneous administration is not necessary.
(11) We have previously shown that serotonin is present in secretory granules of frog adrenochromaffin cells; concurrently, we have demonstrated that serotonin is a potent stimulator of corticosterone and aldosterone secretion by adrenocortical cells.
(12) Microionophoretically applied excitatory amino acids induced firing of extracellularly recorded single units in a tissue slice preparation of the mouse cochlear nucleus, and the similarly applied antagonist 2-amino-5-phosphonovalerate (2APV) was demonstrated to be a selective N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist.
(13) The results demonstrated that K2PtCl4 was bound to a greater degree than CDDP in this system with 3-5 and 1-2 platinum atoms respectively, bound per transferrin molecule.
(14) These studies, in addition to demonstrating that the placenta contains TRH deamidase activity, suggest that losses of fetal TRH through the placenta are not large.
(15) Light microscopic studies of pancreata from mice sacrificed at this time demonstrated insulitis and beta cell necrosis.
(16) Western blot analysis of these mitochondria using an antibody against carnitine palmitoyltransferase II purified from beef heart demonstrates a 68-kDa protein, which under ischemic conditions apparently is decreased by 2 kDa.
(17) Acquired drug resistance to INH, RMP, and EMB can be demonstrated in M. kansasii, and SMX in combination with other agents chosen on the basis of MIC determinations are effective in the treatment of disease caused by RMP-resistant M. kansasii.
(18) In 1 of the 3, anterior capsular detachment was also demonstrated radiographically and confirmed surgically.
(19) This result demonstrates that branching enzyme belongs to a family of the amylolytic enzymes.
(20) Histological studies of nerves 2 years following irradiation demonstrated loss of axons and myelin, with a corresponding increase in endoneurial, perineurial, and epineurial connective tissue.
(n.) A part, or small portion, of anything, or one of a number of things, intended to exhibit the kind and quality of the whole, or of what is not exhibited; a sample; as, a specimen of a man's handwriting; a specimen of painting; aspecimen of one's art.
(1) However, when first trimester specimens were analyzed, the direct-product measurements were significantly larger than the corresponding 3H2O assay results.
(2) The fluoride treated specimens released more fluoride than the nontreated ones.
(3) Sperm specimens were obtained from 13 men participating in our in vitro fertilization program.
(4) As a consequence, similar response curves were obtained for urine specimens containing morphine or barbiturates.
(5) The remaining case had a calibre persistent submucosal artery within the caecum that was found incidentally in a resection specimen.
(6) Flow cytometric DNA analysis was performed on both fresh and on paraffin embedded samples obtained by gastroscopic biopsies in 5 patients with histologically normal gastric mucosa (20 specimens) and by radical gastrectomies in 9 cases of human gastric cancer (36 specimens).
(7) Immunofluorescent staining for HLA-DR showed dermal positivity in 12 of 13 involved- and 9 of 13 uninvolved-skin biopsy specimens from scleroderma patients, compared with only 1 of 10 controls.
(8) A specimen of a very early ovum, 4 to 6 days old, shown in the luminal form of imbedding before any hemorrhage has taken place, confirms that the luminal form of imbedding does occur.
(9) The sensitivity of an indirect fluorescent antibody (IFA) test (screening test) for the detection of antibodies to cytomegalovirus (CMV) was examined by using 128 serum specimens and quaternary aminoethyl (QAE)-Sephadex A50 column chromatography to separate IgM from IgG class antibodies.
(10) From these results it was concluded that FITC-Con A staining method applied to smear specimens is more advantageous in the rapidity and the simplicity for tumor cell diagnosis than section specimen method.
(11) Two fully matured specimens were collected from the blood vessel of two fish, Theragra chalcogramma, which was bought at the Emun market of Seoul in May, 1985.
(12) In the second comparison, HSV was isolated from 225 of 1,026 (21.9%) specimens and duplicate human foreskin fibroblast cell wells stained at 24 and 72 h were PAP positive in 241 of 1,026 (23.5%).
(13) However, a highly significant upward shift of the proliferating cell compartment was observed in the cancer group, resulting in a specific modification of the [3H]TDR labeling pattern in 6 of 17 specimens.
(14) Urine specimens from patient REE also contained a light chain fragment that lacked the first (amino-terminal) 85 residues of the native light chain but otherwise was identical in sequence to the light chain REE.
(15) Residual cancer was found in the radical prostatectomy specimen in 11 of the 29 stage-A1 patients (38%) and in 66 of the 86 stage-A2 patients (77%).
(16) Thin films (OD approximately 0.7) of glucose-embedded membranes, prepared as a control, showed virtually 100% conversion to the M state, and stacks of such thin film specimens gave very similar x-ray diffraction patterns in the bR568 and the M412 state in most experiments.
(17) One-half of the specimens were treated with citric acid, pH 1, for 3 minutes, while the remainder served as untreated control specimens.
(18) It was found to be convenient for routine laboratory use and increased the yield of positive plate cultures in specimens without antibiotics from 53 to 75% (P less than 0.01) and in specimens containing antibiotics from 24 to 38% (P less than 0.05).
(19) In invasive epidermoid carcinoma, the accuracy with the self-collected specimens approached the physician-scraped specimens.
(20) Two-thirds of the specimens tested gave positive results.