(n.) An instrument used for producing artificial currents of air, by the wafting or revolving motion of a broad surface
(n.) An instrument for cooling the person, made of feathers, paper, silk, etc., and often mounted on sticks all turning about the same pivot, so as when opened to radiate from the center and assume the figure of a section of a circle.
(n.) Any revolving vane or vanes used for producing currents of air, in winnowing grain, blowing a fire, ventilation, etc., or for checking rapid motion by the resistance of the air; a fan blower; a fan wheel.
(n.) An instrument for winnowing grain, by moving which the grain is tossed and agitated, and the chaff is separated and blown away.
(n.) Something in the form of a fan when spread, as a peacock's tail, a window, etc.
(n.) A small vane or sail, used to keep the large sails of a smock windmill always in the direction of the wind.
(n.) That which produces effects analogous to those of a fan, as in exciting a flame, etc.; that which inflames, heightens, or strengthens; as, it served as a fan to the flame of his passion.
(n.) A quintain; -- from its form.
(n.) To move as with a fan.
(n.) To cool and refresh, by moving the air with a fan; to blow the air on the face of with a fan.
(n.) To ventilate; to blow on; to affect by air put in motion.
(n.) To winnow; to separate chaff from, and drive it away by a current of air; as, to fan wheat.
(n.) To excite or stir up to activity, as a fan axcites a flame; to stimulate; as, this conduct fanned the excitement of the populace.
(1) The data collection scheme for the scanner uses multiple rotations of a linearly shifted, asymmetric fan beam permitting user-defined variable resolution.
(2) I first saw them live at the location of the terror attack, Manchester Arena – then the MEN – aged 15, a teen at a gig with my friends, as many of the Grande’s fans were.
(3) Will the United fans' eternal favourite soon add his voice to that of 140,000 fans?
(4) In some ways, the Gandolfini performance that his fans may savour most is his voice work in Spike Jonze's Where the Wild Things Are (2009), the cult screen version of Maurice Sendak 's picture book classic – he voiced Carol, one of the wild things, an untamed, foul-mouthed figure.
(5) HTC needs to move from being star struck fan to star of its own ads.
(6) For now however, what’s left of their fan base are enjoying a rare burst of sunshine.
(7) Still, there are some aspects of Palin’s channel to recommend it to the devoted movement conservative that isn’t necessarily already a fan of hers – especially its obviating the need to resort to Palinology.
(8) Superman fans are up in arms at the decision of the publisher to appoint a noted anti-gay writer to pen the Man of Steel's latest adventures.
(9) Comparative clinical studies on temporomandibular joints (TMJ) between the LEGP and fan beam collimators also confirm the superior image quality obtained with the fan beam collimator.
(10) Facebook Twitter Pinterest Whether Sia, Jason Derulo, Coldplay’s Chris Martin or Sir Elton John is in the passenger seat, Corden plays the part of a real fan with a deep knowledge of their discography.
(11) 3.14pm BST 14 mins: It's quite a pleasing thing that, some 22 years after the passback rule was put in place, fans still applaud a player heading the ball back to the keeper.
(12) But he won’t call.” Allardyce is also cynical about an offer from Swansea to compensate around 300 Sunderland fans who had booked trips to Wales before the date change.
(13) Thank you to Manchester United, not just the directors, coaching staff, medical staff, the players, the fans, all of you – you have been the most fantastic experience of my life, so thank you.
(14) A foretaste of discontent came when Florian Thauvin, the underachieving £13m winger signed from Marseille last summer , was serenaded with chants of ‘You’re not fit to wear the shirt” from away fans during Saturday’s FA Cup defeat at Watford .
(15) Two men were arrested before the north London derby as football fans clashed with police.
(16) There is even a version specifically for Manchester United fans ("This badge is your badge, this badge is my badge!").
(17) Colin Ellis, European economist at Daiwa Securities SMBC, said: "Today's PMI data will only fan the glimmers of hope that have started to appear in recent weeks.
(18) "I manage a great group of players, a great institution and great fans.
(19) It's only fair to note that Apple fans are ecstatic at the prospect.
(20) For Argyle the result confirmed their relegation to League One, with the rival fans left to ponder wildly differing prospects next season.
(n.) A large, strong wasp. The European species (Vespa crabro) is of a dark brown and yellow color. It is very pugnacious, and its sting is very severe. Its nest is constructed of a paperlike material, and the layers of comb are hung together by columns. The American white-faced hornet (V. maculata) is larger and has similar habits.
(1) Moderate to severe SRs were equally likely after stings of yellow jacket, white-faced hornet, and yellow hornet (65%), honeybee (67%), or wasp (70%), although historical SRs were reported more often after stings of yellow jacket, white-faced hornet, or yellow hornet (30%) than after honeybee (19%) or wasp (14%) stings.
(2) Josh King restored the lead moments after coming off the substitutes’ bench, but the Hornets levelled for a second time through Isaac Success three minutes later.
(3) The hornet investigated is the one ubiquitous in Israel - Vespa orientalis.
(4) We usually only hear scary stories about invaders such as the Asian hornet , a lethal predator of honeybees.
(5) Nine cats were given an intravenous injection of the Oriental hornet (Vespa orientalis, Vespinae; Hymenoptera) venom sac extract (VSE) and seven cats had the same VSE administered as eye drops.
(6) And when the US president pokes his finger in this one, it is a hornets nest.” Shen Dingli, a prominent Chinese foreign policy expert from Shanghai’s Fudan University, told the New York Times such behaviour from Trump could not be tolerated once he reached the White House.
(7) The hepatotoxic effect of venom sac extract (VSE) of the Oriental hornet has already been demonstrated using the well-known models of experimental toxicology: in vivo, isolated in situ and in vitro.
(8) The Hornets wish all three men well for their future careers.” Jokanovic also sent a message to Watford following confirmation of his departure.
(9) The allergic reactions are mediated by IgE antibodies directed at constituents in honeybee, yellow jacket, hornet, and wasp venoms.
(10) Anti-bald face hornet venom serum suppressed the activity of phospholipase A2 present in the four insect venoms with the inhibitory effect decreasing in the order: bald face hornet greater than yellow hornet greater than yellow jacket greater than honeybee.
(11) SDS-PAGE data demonstrate that the venom of young hornets contains a unique component (82 kD), nonexistent in adult venom.
(12) The European hornet, Vespa crabro, is a very large insect native to much of Europe and Asia and introduced into eastern North America.
(13) A combination of immunoelectrophoresis and immunodiffusion techniques gave indication of common antigenic sites in a component of yellow hornet venom and a component of bald face hornet venom.
(14) Venom sac extract from young hornet workers had the same influence on the blood pressure, did not affect thermoregulation and the effect on the auditory and somato sensory pathways were less consistent.
(15) In the hornet nest of the species Vespa orientalis, there is transmission of information by acoustic means between the larvae and the adults.
(16) An enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) was developed that could measure titres of human IgG antibodies to five different venoms (honeybee, yellow jacket, yellow hornet, white-faced hornet, and wasp), and to honeybee phospholipase A.
(17) Look to recent coverage: "Hornet's Nest" declares this week's Economist; "The Ally from Hell" proclaims the Atlantic.
(18) Venom from young and adult hornets inhibit protein synthesis in human lymphocytes and platelets, but does not affect the synthesis of DNA and RNA.
(19) The Sheffield-Batley game is the last of a triple-header that begins with the very local rivalry between Leigh Miners and Wigan St Patrick's, two of British rugby league's most prolific junior nurseries, in the amateur Challenge Trophy final, and is followed by another pair of neighbours, Oldham and Rochdale Hornets, bidding to secure promotion to the Championship with the North Wales Crusaders, who were crowned the Kingstone Press Club of the Year on Thursday.
(20) The Hornets, who went into the last international break with the charismatic Italian Beppe Sannino still in charge, are now set to end this one six weeks later under the control of his third replacement.