(v. t.) A metallic element, constituting the most precious metal used as a common commercial medium of exchange. It has a characteristic yellow color, is one of the heaviest substances known (specific gravity 19.32), is soft, and very malleable and ductile. It is quite unalterable by heat, moisture, and most corrosive agents, and therefore well suited for its use in coin and jewelry. Symbol Au (Aurum). Atomic weight 196.7.
(v. t.) Money; riches; wealth.
(v. t.) A yellow color, like that of the metal; as, a flower tipped with gold.
(v. t.) Figuratively, something precious or pure; as, hearts of gold.
(1) To investigate the relationship between Helicobacter pylori infection and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) intolerance and the effect of gold use on the seroprevalence of H. pylori.
(2) This activity scheme uses as its base, dose potency measured as TD50, the chronic dose rate that actuarially halves the adjusted percentage of tumor-free animals at the end of the study (Gold et al., Environ.
(3) Coup leader Captain Amadou Sanogo on Friday pleaded for foreign help to preserve the territorial integrity of the former French colony, a major gold and cotton producer.
(4) A combined plot of all results from the four separate papers, which is ordered alphabetically by chemical, is available from L. S. Gold, in printed form or on computer tape or diskette.
(5) To determine the nature of the electrochemical treatment on the gold substrate, cyclic voltammetry was performed with various chemical solutions.
(6) As Russian companies Polymetal, Polyus Gold and Evraz race to join Eurasian Natural Resources as FTSE100 companies, despite their murky practices, because of London's incredibly lax listing requirements, one future scenario is becoming clearer.
(7) Injection of albumin-colloidal gold conjugates resulted in an insignificant uptake.
(8) IgG-gold also adhered to M cells and excess unlabeled IgG inhibited IgA-gold binding; thus binding was not isotype-specific.
(9) Colloidal gold immuno-electron microscopy is a powerful tool for defining antigenicity at the subcellular level.
(10) The effects of gold thioglucose loading on Se distribution, and on Se-dependent GSH peroxidase and GSH S-transferase, were examined in rats fed three dietary levels of Se (0, 0.2, and 2.0 ppm), and with or without adjuvant-induced inflammation.
(11) The night's special award went to armed forces broadcaster, BFBS Radio, while long-standing BBC radio DJ Trevor Nelson received the top prize of the night, the gold award.
(12) The sectioned worm tissues from each developmental stage were embedded in Lowicryl HM 20 medium, stained with infected serum IgG and protein A gold complex (particle size: 12 nm) and observed by electron microscopy.
(13) We concluded that gold labeling with polymyxin B is useful in localizing the binding sites of polymyxin.
(14) Heads you 'own it' Ian Read, the Scottish-born accountant who runs the biggest drug firm in the US carries in his pocket a special gold coin, about the size and weight of a £2 piece.
(15) Evidence for Golgi apparatus-associated processing of oligosaccharides in the ER was obtained by lectin-gold cytochemistry revealing the presence of the galactose (beta 1----4)N-acetylglucosamine sequence and sialic acid residues.
(16) One of them got a gold medal in medicine, for being top of the year, but they dropped out for exactly these reasons.” These are not alarmist stories being spread by campaigners.
(17) Different techniques for attaching the gold cylinders to the frameworks were used.
(18) A post-embedding cytochemical technique using WGA-gold complexes was used and the quantitative intensity of WGA-labeling on the surface membrane of platelets after convulxin stimulation was determined.
(19) Only 75% of the granules stained for PRL by the protein-A gold technique; the other 25% stained for neither PRL nor GH.
(20) Smoking behaviour, self-reported mood and cardiac activity were examined in 12 "sedative" and 12 "stimulant" smokers, defined using Mangan and Golding's questionnaire.
(n.) An old Anglo Saxon coin both of gold and silver, and of variously estimated values. The silver mancus was equal to about one shilling of modern English money.