(n.) A military engine acting like a sling, which threw stones from a bag or wooden bucket, and was operated by machinery.
(n.) A wild ass, especially the koulan.
(1) Onager red cells transported this amino acid with intermediate affinity (apparent Km for influx 3.0 mM at 37 degrees C).
(2) Milk samples of four species of wild equids (onager, Equus hemionus onager; mountain zebra, E. zebra hartmannae; plains zebra, E. burchelli; Przewalski horse, E. caballus przewalskii) and two domesticated equids (ass, E. asinus; pony, E. caballus) were analysed.
(3) For pairwise comparisons within this family, estimates of sequence divergence ranged from 0% (E. hemionus onager vs. E. h. kulan) to 7.8% (E. przewalskii vs. E. h. onager).
(4) Chromosome fusion is apparently involved in the alterations of the karyotype of E. hemionus kulan (2n = 55, 54) when compared to the karyotype of the onager, E. hemionus onager (2n = 56).
(5) This polymorphism involves the same elements that participate in the polymorphic Robertsonian rearrangement producing diploid numbers of 54-56 in E. hemionus kulan and E. hemionus onager.
(6) The present study investigated amino acid transport mechanisms in red cells from four wild species: Przewalski's horse (Equus przewalskii), Hartmann's zebra (Zebra hartmannae), Grevy's zebra (Zebra grevyi), and onager (Equus hemonius).