(v. t.) To follow up step by step by patient inquiry or observation; to trace or track mentally; to search into; to inquire and examine into with care and accuracy; to find out by careful inquisition; as, to investigate the causes of natural phenomena.
(v. i.) To pursue a course of investigation and study; to make investigation.
(1) Lebedev says he is aware that he is under investigation.
(2) We have investigated the effect of methimazole (MMI) on cell-mediated immunity and ascertained the mechanisms of immunosuppression produced by the drug.
(3) Lucy and Ed will combine coverage of hard and breaking news with a commitment to investigative journalism, which their track record so clearly demonstrates”.
(4) Clinical and roentgenographic criteria could not discriminate between patients with and without pneumonia, confirming the findings of previous investigations.
(5) The combined immediate and delayed responses to fleas in the dog are as observed by other investigators in man and guinea pigs.
(6) "As the investigation remains live and in order to preserve the integrity of that investigation, it would not be appropriate to offer further comment."
(7) The main clinical features pertaining to the concept of the "psycho-organic syndrome" (POS) were investigated in a sample of children who suffered from severe craniocerebral trauma.
(8) The ability of azelastine to influence antigen-induced contractile responses (Schultz-Dale phenomenon) in isolated tracheal segments of the guinea-pig was investigated and compared with selected antiallergic drugs and inhibitors of arachidonic acid metabolism.
(9) Electronmicroscopical investigations have revealed that, under normal conditions, a minor vesicular transfer of intravenously injected peroxidase occurs across the endothelium in segments of arterioles, capillaries and venules, especially in arterioles with a diameter about 15-30 mu.
(10) Using mini-pigs with an indwelling vascular catheter, the pharmacokinetics of chloramphenicol were investigated in healthy and liver-damaged animals.
(11) We determined whether serological investigations can assist to distinguish between chronic idiopathic autoimmune thrombocytopenia (cAITP) and immune-mediated thrombocytopenia in patients at risk to develop systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE); 82 patients were seen in this institution for the evaluation of immune thrombocytopenia.
(12) The quaternary structure of ribonucleotide reductase of Escherichia coli was investigated, with the use of purified B1 and B2 proteins and bifunctional cross-linking agents.
(13) We have investigated a physiological role of endogenous insulin on exocrine pancreatic secretion stimulated by a liquid meal as well as exogenous secretin and cholecystokinin octapeptide (CCK-8) in conscious rats.
(14) The subcellular distribution of sialyltransferase and its product of action, sialic acid, was investigated in the undifferentiated cells of the rat intestinal crypts and compared with the pattern observed in the differentiated cells present in the surface epithelium.
(15) We have investigated the increase in the spcDNA population upon cycloheximide treatment of individual sequences, which are found to amplify differentially.
(16) A phytochemical investigation of an ethanolic extract of the whole plant of Echites hirsuta (Apocynaceae) resulted in the isolation and identification of the flavonoids naringenin, aromadendrin (dihydrokaempferol), and kaempferol; the coumarin fraxetin; the triterpene ursolic acid; and the sterol glycoside sitosteryl glucoside.
(17) In the present investigation we monitored the incorporation of [14C] from [U-14C]glucose into various rat brain glycolytic intermediates of conscious and pentobarbital-anesthetized animals.
(18) Among the groups investigated, the subjects with gastric tumors presented the greatest values.
(19) Typological and archaeological investigations indicate that the church building represents originally the hospital facility for the lay brothers of the monastery, which according to the chronicle of the monastery was built in the beginning of the 14th century.
(20) Therefore, we have developed a powerful new microcomputer-based system which permits detailed investigations and evaluation of 3-D and 4-D (dynamic 3-D) biomedical images.
(v. t.) To examine, as a wound, an ulcer, or some cavity of the body, with a probe.
(v. t.) Fig.: to search to the bottom; to scrutinize or examine thoroughly.
(n.) An instrument for examining the depth or other circumstances of a wound, ulcer, or cavity, or the direction of a sinus, of for exploring for bullets, for stones in the bladder, etc.
(1) A series of human cDNA clones of various sizes and relative localizations to the mRNA molecule were isolated by using the human p53-H14 (2.35-kilobase) cDNA probe which we previously cloned.
(2) Theophylline kinetics, as an in vivo probe for the potentially toxic cytochrome P-450I pathway of drug metabolism, were studied in 11 healthy volunteers and 11 patients with calcific chronic pancreatitis at Madras, South India.
(3) Five probes of high specificity to individual chromosomes (chromosomes 3, 11, 17, 18 and X) were hybridized in situ to metaphase chromosomes of different individuals.
(4) In order to determine the extent of this similarity, I have developed a panel of probes for many of the Pacl restriction fragments and have shown that most of the Pacl and Notl fragments found in MBa are also present in MBb.
(5) The haplotype of the recombinant X chromosome of each of 241 backcross progeny has been established using the X-linked anchor loci Otc, Hprt, Dmd, Pgk-1, and Amg and the additional probes DXSmh43 and Cbx-rs1.
(6) Periodontal disease activity is defined clinically by progressive loss of probing attachment and radiographically by progressive loss of alveolar bone.
(7) The mean histamine level in the first 10-min sample following probe insertion was 39.4 nM.
(8) Five of them had a fast-moving Eco RI fragment 5.6 kb long that hybridized with zeta-specific probe but not with alpha-specific probe.
(9) We studied the haemodynamic (ultrasound Doppler flow probes) effects of synthetic atriopeptin II at natriuretic doses in conscious rats.
(10) DNA from 9% (47 of 529) of the E. coli colonies tested hybridized with the ST probe, whereas only 5% (28 of 529) produced ST as measured by the suckling mouse bioassay.
(11) Likewise, they had little or no effects on the fluorescence anisotropy of TMA-DPH, which is also thought to be located in the interfacial region of the lipid bilayer, either when the probe was located in the outer layer of the plasma membrane or when the probe was located in the inner membrane compartment.
(12) Sequence specific binding of protein extracts from 13 different yeast species to three oligonucleotide probes and two points mutants derived from Saccharomyces cerevisiae DNA binding proteins were tested using mobility shift assays.
(13) The probe has been used for the identification of new Legionella-like strains isolated from the environment.
(14) Therefore, we conclude this is a bovine DR beta-like pseudogene, BoDR beta I. Exon-containing regions have been used as probes in Southern blot analyses of bovine genomic DNA digested with EcoRI.
(15) The adherence of 51Cr-labeled platelets to rabbit aortae everted on probes rotated in platelet-red cell suspensions has been measured.
(16) A 2.7-kilobase DNA fragment carrying the entire exotoxin A (ETA) structural gene was divided into three nonoverlapping probes.
(17) The indication of the DNA probe method would be considered in the four cases as follows, 1. necessity of the special equipment to isolate the pathogen, 2. necessity of the long period to isolate the pathogen, 3. existence of the cross reaction among the pathogen and relative organisms in the immunological procedure, 4. existence of the difficulty to identify the species of the pathogen by the ordinary procedure.
(18) Slight cross-reactivity was apparent when crude preparations of cellular or culture filtrate antigens, used in this laboratory to detect antibodies to Candida albicans, Coccidioides immitis and Cryptococcus neoformans, were probed with hyperimmune rabbit antisera to A. fumigatus.
(19) The results, together with the known geometry of the enzyme, indicate that active site probes in the dodecamer are widely separated and that energy transfer occurs from a single donor to two or three acceptors on adjacent subunits.
(20) The availability of locus-specific probes should significantly expand the role of minisatellite markers in population biology.