(n.) A sailing canoe of the Ladrone Islands and Malay Archipelago, having its lee side flat and its weather side like that of an ordinary boat. The ends are alike. The canoe is long and narrow, and is kept from overturning by a cigar-shaped log attached to a frame extending several feet to windward. It has been called the flying proa, and is the swiftest sailing craft known.
(1) An Hfr13 Delta(proA-lac) deletion recipient, -Delta(proA-lac)-F-purE(+)-, has been utilized in a study of the origins of duplications formed during chromosome fragment integration.
(2) Subcloning showed that about 3.1 kilobases of V. parahaemolyticus DNA could complement proA and proB but not proC mutations of Escherichia coli.
(3) A library of Desulfovibrio desulfuricans Norway genomic DNA was constructed in Escherichia coli with pBR322 as vector and plasmids able to complement the proA and leuB mutations of the host were screened.
(4) N-acetylglutamic gamma-semialdehyde, if deacetylated, would produce glutamic gamma-semialdehyde, the proline precursor whose synthesis from glutamate is blocked in proA and proAB mutants.
(5) The proA gene encodes a typical 21-aa N-terminal signal sequence which, when fused to alkaline phosphatase by means of transposon TnphoA, was able to mediate transport of the alkaline phosphatase to the periplasm in E. coli.
(6) Eleven variants able to grow without proline (provided arginine was absent) were obtained by spontaneous mutation from Salmonella typhimurium LT7 proA and proAB deletion mutants.
(7) The mutations were linked to the proA, thr-48, lys-9015, argF10, and argG markers.
(8) The genes, proA and proP, each contain two introns.
(9) The following gene order has been established: gpt-proB-proA-ataA-supQ-newD.
(10) In proline auxotrophs blocked at an early step in proline biosynthesis (proA or proB), reversion to prototrophy is often due to a mutation in the arginine pathway which diverts N-acetyl glutamate gamma-semialdehyde to proline synthesis, thus bypassing the proA or proB block.
(11) Both conjugational and transductional data suggest that the strain carrying the proB(-) mutation also carries a second mutation close to the proA site which independently confers a Pro(-) phenotype.
(12) P22pro-1 and P22pro-3 are specialized transducing derivatives of phage P22 that carry the proA and proB genes of Salmonella typhimurium.
(13) Other supQ deletions are simultaneously Pro(-), because they extend into the proA or proA and proB genes; some extend even further, i.e., into the gpt gene (guanine phosphoribosyl transferase).
(14) From our sequence data the proB (1101 bp) and proA (1472 bp) genes were shown to code for two proteins of Mr 39,169 and 44,640, respectively.
(15) The former was mapped between tonA and proA, and the latter between the origin of genetic transfer of HfrH and serB.
(16) pIP218 retained all the other properties from F of HfrH: derepression for pilus synthesis, mobilization of the chromosome for the proximally transferred HfrH genes (thr, leu, proA), interference with T7 propagation, and ability to be cured by acridine orange.
(17) Gene defects in proA (five strains) and in proB (six strains) were identified by gonococcal transformation assays with recombinant bacteriophages or plasmids carrying proline biosynthesis genes from N. gonorrhoeae.
(18) Although, th recombinant plasmids containing the proA and proB genes were able to complement the Pro- phenotype of different E. coli strains, bacteria harboring these plasmids did not excrete L-proline to the culture medium.
(19) Strain 1485IN had acquired proline auxotrophy, but showed the same growth rate as W1485 in nutrient broth at 37 degrees C. Interrupted matings with Hfr strains of 1485IN revealed a gene arrangement of nalA-gal-trp-his-lac-proA-thrleu-ilv, in which gal, trp, and his were on the inverted segment.
(20) A thrombin-like proteinase (THROLP) was detected colorimetrically as the main proteolytic activity (PROA) in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) 4 and 24 h after ovalbumin aerosol (OVA) challenge of actively immunized rats.
(v. i.) To wander about and beg; to seek food or other supplies by low arts; to seek for advantage by mean shift or tricks.
(v. i.) To steal; to rob; to filch.
(v. i.) To prick; to goad; to progue.
(n.) Victuals got by begging, or vagrancy; victuals of any kind; food; supplies.
(n.) A vagrant beggar; a tramp.
(n.) A goal; progue.
(1) The interaction with these lipids, the rotational conformations of the 17-acetyl group, and invertible conformations of the cyclohexenone of PROG were discussed on the basis of the elliptical strength of the Cotton effect and energy estimation of the preferred conformers.
(2) Simultaneous determination of unconjugated 16 alpha-hydroxypregnenolone (16 alphaOH-Preg), 16 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone (16 alphaOH-Prog) and 16 alpha-hydroxydehydroepiandrosterone (16 alphaOH-DHEA) in fetal and neonatal plasma was performed utilizing a newly developed radioimmunoassay.
(3) Before or at 1 month after each treatment, tumor response was evaluated according to the following categories: (1) complete response (CR) (no visible abnormality, and negative biopsy specimen and cytology); (2) partial response (PR) (degree of obstruction or size of tumor reduced more than 50%); (3) some response (SR) (degree of obstruction or size of tumor reduced 20% to 50%); and (4) progression (PROG) (degree of obstruction or size of tumor reduced by less than 20%).
(4) PROG (P less than 0.025) was lower and E2 (P less than 0.025) and E3 (P less than 0.05) were higher in PCO pregnancies than in HA pregnancies.
(5) Large-scale clinical trials have established that lowering blood pressure in patients with mild to moderate diastolic hypertension results in a decreased incidence of stroke and, to a lesser extent, a reduction in incidence of coronary heart disease [MacMahon SW, Cutler JA, Furberg CD, et al: Prog Cardiovasc Dis 1986; 29 (suppl 1): 99-118].
(6) Morphological evidence suggests that approximately two thirds of the bipolar cells and most amacrine cells are destroyed by the kainic acid lesion (Ingham and Morgan, Neuroscience, 9 (1983) 165-181), and pharmacological logic (Morgan, Prog.
(7) Earlier this year we wrote about Gnod , Salford's finest purveyors of ambient sludge, prog-metal and murky motorik psych-drone space-rock.
(8) The model was generated assuming a finite time-course of cross-bridge attachment [Huxley, Prog.
(9) The Michaelis constants were not different for the pro-val and progly substrates in control and prolidase deficient fibroblasts.
(10) We evaluated the direct effect of 17 beta-estradiol (E2) and of progesterone (Prog) on secretion of PTH from bovine parathyroid tissue in vitro.
(11) Statistically highly significant circadian rhythms were found in plasma testosterone, 17-OH Prog and DHEA-S, concentrations in men and women of all three age groups with a phase advance of over 2 hours in DHEA-S with advancing age.
(12) Plasma progesterone (PROG), testosterone (TEST), oestrone (E1) and 17 beta-oestradiole (E2) concentrations were determined in collared doves living under natural conditions in young as well as sexually inactive animals further in different phases of the reproduction cycle; measurements were made by radioimmunoassay following Sephadex LH 20 chromatography.
(13) If one of these alterations had appeared with the toxic, the Prog action would have diminished it gradually until its disappearance.
(14) The interaction between the A-ring and the 17-acetyl groups of progesterone (PROG) and various concentrations of distearoyl-, dipalmitoyl-, dioleoyl- and diarachidoyl-L-alpha-phosphatidylcholines, and dipalmitoyl-L-alpha-phosphatidyl-DL glycerol in methanol and chloroform solutions and its preferred conformational assignments in the presence of those lipids were examined qualitatively by circular dichroism on the basis of PROG spectra in the wavelength regions of 260-400 nm.
(15) The adrenal venous PROG concentration and secretory rate of female hamsters infused with 10% dextran while collecting adrenal venous blood did not differ significantly from those of the non-infused animals, suggesting that this amount of blood loss (1 ml) does not influence PROG secretion.
(16) There were no consistent changes of plasma 17 alpha,20B PROG during this period.
(17) Conclusive evidence for the relation between cell type and hormone content was found only in one type: in type 6, stromal glandular cells show an extremely intensive PROG synthesizing activity.
(18) The ovarian, endometrial and pituitary effects of 300 micrograms norethisterone (NET) and 30 micrograms levonorgestrel (L-NOG) administered orally on cycle days 7-10 were investigated in two groups of 10 women each, by daily analysis of plasma estradiol (E2), progesterone (PROG), immunoreactive luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) in a pretreatment control cycle and during NET or L-NOG administration.
(19) The present work tended to evaluate the effect of streptozotocin diabetes on estradiol (E2) stimulation of Prog.
(20) The amounts of 17 alpha-OH-Prog and F increased in all groups, especially in IL cells.