(n.) A sailing canoe of the Ladrone Islands and Malay Archipelago, having its lee side flat and its weather side like that of an ordinary boat. The ends are alike. The canoe is long and narrow, and is kept from overturning by a cigar-shaped log attached to a frame extending several feet to windward. It has been called the flying proa, and is the swiftest sailing craft known.
(1) An Hfr13 Delta(proA-lac) deletion recipient, -Delta(proA-lac)-F-purE(+)-, has been utilized in a study of the origins of duplications formed during chromosome fragment integration.
(2) Subcloning showed that about 3.1 kilobases of V. parahaemolyticus DNA could complement proA and proB but not proC mutations of Escherichia coli.
(3) A library of Desulfovibrio desulfuricans Norway genomic DNA was constructed in Escherichia coli with pBR322 as vector and plasmids able to complement the proA and leuB mutations of the host were screened.
(4) N-acetylglutamic gamma-semialdehyde, if deacetylated, would produce glutamic gamma-semialdehyde, the proline precursor whose synthesis from glutamate is blocked in proA and proAB mutants.
(5) The proA gene encodes a typical 21-aa N-terminal signal sequence which, when fused to alkaline phosphatase by means of transposon TnphoA, was able to mediate transport of the alkaline phosphatase to the periplasm in E. coli.
(6) Eleven variants able to grow without proline (provided arginine was absent) were obtained by spontaneous mutation from Salmonella typhimurium LT7 proA and proAB deletion mutants.
(7) The mutations were linked to the proA, thr-48, lys-9015, argF10, and argG markers.
(8) The genes, proA and proP, each contain two introns.
(9) The following gene order has been established: gpt-proB-proA-ataA-supQ-newD.
(10) In proline auxotrophs blocked at an early step in proline biosynthesis (proA or proB), reversion to prototrophy is often due to a mutation in the arginine pathway which diverts N-acetyl glutamate gamma-semialdehyde to proline synthesis, thus bypassing the proA or proB block.
(11) Both conjugational and transductional data suggest that the strain carrying the proB(-) mutation also carries a second mutation close to the proA site which independently confers a Pro(-) phenotype.
(12) P22pro-1 and P22pro-3 are specialized transducing derivatives of phage P22 that carry the proA and proB genes of Salmonella typhimurium.
(13) Other supQ deletions are simultaneously Pro(-), because they extend into the proA or proA and proB genes; some extend even further, i.e., into the gpt gene (guanine phosphoribosyl transferase).
(14) From our sequence data the proB (1101 bp) and proA (1472 bp) genes were shown to code for two proteins of Mr 39,169 and 44,640, respectively.
(15) The former was mapped between tonA and proA, and the latter between the origin of genetic transfer of HfrH and serB.
(16) pIP218 retained all the other properties from F of HfrH: derepression for pilus synthesis, mobilization of the chromosome for the proximally transferred HfrH genes (thr, leu, proA), interference with T7 propagation, and ability to be cured by acridine orange.
(17) Gene defects in proA (five strains) and in proB (six strains) were identified by gonococcal transformation assays with recombinant bacteriophages or plasmids carrying proline biosynthesis genes from N. gonorrhoeae.
(18) Although, th recombinant plasmids containing the proA and proB genes were able to complement the Pro- phenotype of different E. coli strains, bacteria harboring these plasmids did not excrete L-proline to the culture medium.
(19) Strain 1485IN had acquired proline auxotrophy, but showed the same growth rate as W1485 in nutrient broth at 37 degrees C. Interrupted matings with Hfr strains of 1485IN revealed a gene arrangement of nalA-gal-trp-his-lac-proA-thrleu-ilv, in which gal, trp, and his were on the inverted segment.
(20) A thrombin-like proteinase (THROLP) was detected colorimetrically as the main proteolytic activity (PROA) in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) 4 and 24 h after ovalbumin aerosol (OVA) challenge of actively immunized rats.
(n.) "The ticket or list of candidates at elections, presented to the people for their votes."
(1) A second site, PROX, is found within the sequence GGTTGGACC.
(2) Two copies of repetitive extragenic palindromic sequences were identified beyond the 3' end of the proX gene.
(3) Catheters were harvested and radioactivity on the catheter segments (proximal: PROX, middle: MID, distal: DIST and puncture site: PS) of both was determined.
(4) However neither bacterially expressed Sp1 516C or vaccinia virus expressed full-length Sp1 778C bound to the Prox or Pyr sequences in DNase I footprints or gel shift assays.
(5) Both of the latter also placed PKD1 telomeric to a locus 92.6SH1.0, which lies 200-250 kb distal to 26.6PROX.
(6) On the average, the r. stylohyoid, prox., the r. stylohyoid.
(7) More recently, 26.6PROX was identified as the closest proximal flanking locus.
(8) The study was performed with a whole-organ technique which permits simultaneous, continuous and quantitative recordings of resistance reactions in the whole vascular bed (RT) and in its three consecutive sections: large-bore arterial resistance vessels (greater than 25 microns; Ra,prox), small arterioles (less than 25 microns; Ra,micro) and veins (Rv).
(9) At a maximally effective dose (100 mg kg-1), the nitric oxide inhibitor caused a marked constriction, within 5 min, on average increasing RT by 99%, Ra,prox by 138%, Ra,micro by 18% and Rv by 23%.
(10) Interestingly, these assays revealed that maximal transient expression was obtained with DNA fusion genes containing the PAL, PROX and TATA sequences.
(11) The DNA sequence data also conclusively established that ProX represents the periplasmic glycine betaine-binding protein.
(12) The catheters were harvested and radioactivity on the catheter segments (proximal: PROX, middle: MID, distal: DIST and puncture site: PS) of both was determined.
(13) Bilaterali prox week November 23, 2012 Developing... 3.08pm GMT Photos: inside the EU HQ Some photos of the latest diplomatic wrangling inside the EU HQ have arrived: French President Francois Hollande (right) chats with British Prime Minister David Cameron (left) and Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte (2nd left).
(14) Gel shift competitions and supershift assays with probes containing either Prox or Pyr tract sites alone demonstrated targeting of Sp1 to the Prox binding site and identified a non-Sp1 containing complex which contains a Prox binding protein.
(15) Three of these crossovers placed PKD1 proximal to GGG1 and two crossovers placed PKD1 distal to 26.6PROX.
(16) Adding exogenous Sp1 to a HeLa nuclear extract enhanced the Sp1-containing complex but had no effect on the Prox complex.
(17) Nuclear extracts prepared from both neural and non-neural cell lines, mouse brain, and mouse liver contain proteins that recognize and bind to the PROX and PAL sequences indicating that proteins which bind to these target sequences are widespread.
(18) The human neurofilament (H) promoter contains multiple binding sites for nuclear proteins including a Proximal (Prox) site centered around the sequence GGTTGGACC and an adjacent pyrimidine (Pyr) tract site centered around the sequence CCCTCCTCCCC.
(19) Three open reading frames were identified whose orientation, order, location, and sizes were in close accord with genetic evidence for three cistrons (proV, proW, and proX) in this operon.
(20) Unexpectedly, the highly expressed periplasmic glycine betaine binding protein was found to be encoded by a distal gene, proX, in the operon.