(2) Albumin rose during the follow-up period (P less than 0.05) in the treated patients, being more marked in both Rheum E and Rheum E + Captopril groups.
(3) (Arthritis Rheum 33:1449-1461, 1990) and the controlled trials of methotrexate reported by Weinblatt et al.
(4) Semiquantitative scoring methods for cartilage loss and osseous erosions developed by Sharp (Arthritis Rheum 1971; 14: 706-720) and Larsen (Scand J Rheum 1973; 2: 136-138) have established standards for sensitivity and interobserver reliability.
(5) Panax notogenseng and Magnolia officinalis were discovered to be sensitive, Prunus mume and Corydalis yanhusuo were moderate sensitive, and Coptis chinensis and Rheum palmatum highly sensitive to HP.
(6) It is concluded that long-term low-dose Rheum E taken orally is beneficial to CRF.
(7) They were divided into three groups, namely, Rheum officinale Baill, Rheum palmatum L, and Rheum tanguticum Maxim ex Balf.
(8) To determine the extent of antiviral activity present in a number of plant extracts, hot glycerin extracts were prepared from Rheum officinale, Aloe barbadensis, Rhamnus frangula, Rhamnus purshianus, and Cassia angustifolia and their virucidal effects were tested against herpes simplex virus type 1.
(9) Direct addition of hot water extracts of Rheum officinale rhizome, Scutellaria baicalensis root, Paeonia moutan bark and Zingiber officinale rhizome also inhibited AA biotransformation, while the extracts of Coptis japonica rhizome and Paeonia lactiflora root showed no effects.
(10) The regime of Rheum E and Captopril is a preferable choice in the long-term treatment for preventing progression of CRF.
(11) Rheum, a well known herb unique in its cathartic effect is now introduced to prevent progression of uremia.
(12) (Arthritis Rheum 33:330-338, 1990), suggesting that observational studies provide valid measurements of treatment effect.
(13) A clinical trial, to evaluate the effects of a Chinese herbal drug, Rheum E and angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor, Captopril on chronic renal failure (CRF), was conducted.
(14) The herbs Rheum palmatum B and Polygonum cuspidatum S are frequently used as laxatives and anticancer drugs in Chinese medicine.
(15) To explore the mechanism of therapeutic effects of Rheum on CRF, a series of experimental studies were performed.
(16) The results indicate that electrical activity of colon is obviously excited by rhubarb (Rheum tanguticum).
(17) Recently, McDaniel, et al (Arthritis Rheum 1987;30:894) reported a statistically significant association between ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and the presence in Pvu II digested genomic DNA of a 9.2 kb restriction fragment hybridizing with an HLA-B7 cDNA probe.
(18) Only rhubarb root (Rheum officinale) was found to have significant activity and the purified active substance was identified as rhein.
(19) Note that eye, ‘tis rheum o’erflows; Pity’s flood there never rose, See those hands, ne’er stretched to save, Hands that took, but never gave: Keeper of Mammon’s iron chest, Lo, there she goes, unpitied and unblest, She goes, but not to realms of everlasting rest!
(20) 1) Cell-free extracts prepared via acetone powder from rhizome of Rheum rhaponticum were found to be capable of converting p-coumaroyl-CoA and [2-14C]malonyl-CoA into a 3,5,4'-trihydroxystilbene, resveratrol.
(n.) The watery portion of certain animal fluids, as blood, milk, etc.
(n.) A thin watery fluid, containing more or less albumin, secreted by the serous membranes of the body, such as the pericardium and peritoneum.
(1) We studied further the serum with the highest titer.
(2) Serum levels of both dihydralazine and metabolites were very low and particularly below the detection limit.
(3) Since fingernail creatinine (Ncr) reflects serum creatinine (Scr) at the time of nail formation, it has been suggested that Ncr level might represent that of Scr around 4 months previously.
(4) The significance of minor increases in the serum creatinine level must be recognized, so that modifications of drug therapy can be made and correction of possibly life-threatening electrolyte imbalances can be undertaken.
(5) Trifluoroacetylated rabbit serum albumin was 5 times more reactive with these antibodies and thus more antigenic than the homologous acetylated moiety confirming the importance of the trifluoromethyl moiety as an epitope in the immunogen in vivo.
(6) Serum samples from 23 families, including a total of 48 affected children, were tested for a set of "classical markers."
(7) The statistical T value calculated for the LP-TAE group showed that the administration of LP, the tumor size, intrahepatic metastasis, portal vein infiltration, and serum total bilirubin and alpha-fetoprotein levels significantly (P < 0.01) affected the patients' survival.
(8) Patient or fetal cord serum is commonly used as a protein supplement to culture media used in in-vitro fertilization (IVF).
(9) The serum concentration of hyaluronan (HYA) was determined in 59 patients with various myeloproliferative disorders, including 33 patients with idiopathic myelofibrosis.
(10) These observations were confirmed by the killing curves in pooled serum obtained at peak and trough levels.
(11) Serum complement studies revealed decreased levels of C4, properdin, and C3.
(12) The agent present in the serum which causes dissolution of the fibrin clot was isolated and identified as pepsinogen.
(13) The concentrations of five normally occurring protease inhibitors in serum and synovial fluid were compared in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthrosis, and normal controls.
(14) In this review, we demonstrate that serum creatinine does not provide an adequate estimate of glomerular filtration rate (GFR), and contrary to recent teachings, that the slope of the reciprocal of serum creatinine vs time does not permit an accurate assessment of the rate of progression of renal disease.
(15) Zinc in plasma and urine and serum albumin and alpha 2-macroglobulin were measured in 48 patients with burns.
(16) In the clinical trials in which there was complete substitution of fat-modified ruminant foods for conventional ruminant products the fall in serum cholesterol was approximately 10%.
(17) The increase in red blood cell mass was associated with an elevation in erythropoietic stimulatory activity in serum, pleural fluid, and tumor-cyst fluid as determined by the exhypoxic polycythemic mouse assay.
(18) Nicardipine lowered systolic and diastolic blood pressure to normal, plasma aldosterone was reduced and serum potassium levels were increased.
(19) As a group, the three mammalian proteins resemble bovine serum conglutinin and behave as lectins with rather broad sugar specificities directed at certain non-reducing terminal N-acetylglucosamine, mannose, glucose and fucose residues, but with subtle differences in fine specificities.
(20) We have measured the antibody specificities to the two polysaccharides in sera from asymptomatic group C meningococcal carriers and vaccinated adults by a new enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) procedure using methylated human serum albumin for coating the group C polysaccharide onto microtiter plates.