(1) These immunocytochemical studies clearly demonstrated that cells encountered within the fibrous intimal thickening in the vein graft were inevitably smooth muscle cell in origin.
(2) Thus adrenaline, via pre- and post-junctional adrenoceptors, may contribute to enhanced vascular smooth muscle contraction, which most likely is sensitized by the elevated intracellular calcium concentration.
(3) In addition to their involvement in thrombosis, activated platelets release growth factors, most notably a platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) which may be the principal mediator of smooth muscle cell migration from the media into the intima and of smooth muscle cell proliferation in the intima as well as of vasoconstriction.
(4) Peripheral eosinocytes increased by 10%, and tests for HBsAg, antiHBs, antimitochondrial antibody and anti-smooth muscle antibody were all negative.
(5) After vascular injury, smooth muscle cells proliferate, reaching a maximum rate at day 2.
(6) Recent studies have shown that an aberration in platelet-derived growth factor gene expression is unlikely to be a factor in proliferation of smooth-muscle cells.
(7) The Ta loop was a smooth, elongated ellipse in configuration and showed clockwise rotation in all planes, as did the P loop.
(8) This series of tests included tests for pathologic nystagmus, saccades, smooth pursuit, and optokinetic nystagmus, as well as bithermal caloric testing and rotational testing.
(9) It inhibits platelet and vascular smooth muscle activation by cGMP-dependent attenuation of the agonist-induced rise of intracellular free Ca2+.
(10) It is concluded that a Na-H antiport system in vascular smooth muscle regulates Na influx rate, contributes to intracellular pH regulation and influences basal levels of Na,K-pump activity.
(11) By 30 min after insemination, the surface of the egg is relatively smooth.
(12) An electrogenic sodium-potassium pump appears to contribute materially to the steady-state potential and to certain of the transient potential responses of vascular smooth muscle.
(13) Distribution patterns of phosphatidylserine and phosphatidylinositol in the smooth muscle as well as in the mucosa were different from those in the liver.
(14) Ultrastructural study of the uterine lesion demonstrated smooth muscle cells with only a few "autophagic" facuoles to cells nearly replaced by lysosomes.
(15) These early hyperplastic lesions revealed stellate-shaped dilated bile canaliculi lined by blebs and abnormally thick elongated microvilli, a decreased number of microvilli on the sinusoidal surface, a marked increase in smooth endoplasmic reticulum, large nucleoli, and bundles of pericanalicular microfilaments.
(16) We conclude that once daily doxazosin provides smooth and effective blood pressure control throughout a 24 h post-dose period.
(17) It is suggested that contractile responses to electrical stimulation in isolated sheep urethral smooth muscle are mediated by the sympathetic nervous system, mainly through release of noradrenaline stimulating postjunctional alpha 1-adrenoceptors.
(18) Four fractions enriched, respectively, in plasma membrane (PM), smooth endoplasmic reticulum (SER), rough endoplasmic reticulum (RER), and mitochondria were isolated from estrogen-dominated rat myometrium.
(19) From the findings of this study the authors recommend wide excision of colorectal smooth-muscle tumours whenever there is a suggestion of malignancy.
(20) All smooth strains of Brucella bear two lipopolysaccharide (LPS) antigens in a ratio that defines the classification of strains in serovars, A (A greater than M), M (M greater than A) and A.M (A = M).
(a.) Spread equally over the surface; uniform; even.