(n.) A small plug or wooden pin, used to stop a vent, as in a cask.
(n.) A small tube or spout inserted in a tree for conducting sap, as from a sugar maple.
(n.) A large stake driven into the ground as a support for some superstructure; a pile.
(v. t.) To supply with a spile or a spigot; to make a small vent in, as a cask.
(n.) Ill-will or hatred toward another, accompanied with the disposition to irritate, annoy, or thwart; petty malice; grudge; rancor; despite.
(n.) Vexation; chargrin; mortification.
(v. t.) To be angry at; to hate.
(v. t.) To treat maliciously; to try to injure or thwart.
(v. t.) To fill with spite; to offend; to vex.
(1) In spite of dense lymphocytic infiltration only 3% of the tumor infiltrating lymphocytes exhibit the activation marker CD 25.
(2) When labelled long-chain fatty acids or glycerol were infused into the lactating goat, there was extensive transfer of radioactivity into milk in spite of the absence of net uptake of substrate by the mammary gland.
(3) In spite of important differences in size, chemical composition, polymer density, and configuration, biological macromolecules indeed manifest some of the essential physical-chemical properties of gels.
(4) Mastitis in its complexity has managed to forestall all efforts of eradication in spite of years of research, antibiotics and practical control measures.
(5) In spite of antimalaria treatment, with cortisone and then with immuno-depressants, the outcome was fatal with a picture of acute reticulosis and neurological disorders.
(6) In spite of the presence of scar tissue following rhytidectomy, this procedure has been quite successful because of the rich blood supply in that area.
(7) By the GN of non-streptococcal etiology, AA's to the BLSE apparently of other specificity are obtained in some cases, in spite of the absence of antibodies to A-PS.
(8) In spite of the formation of the epoxide intermediate, no binding of [14C]d-limonene equivalents to mouse kidney proteins was observed.
(9) No cases of rheumatic fever and no acute nephritis appeared in spite of the vigorous immune response to both cellular and extracellular antigens of group A streptococci documented in 50% to 80% of patients, suggesting that strain variation may be a feature of rheumatogenicity as well as nephritogenicity of group A streptococcal pharyngitis.
(10) Clinical and inflammatory activity improved in both groups, but consistently more so in the auranofin group, in spite of the greater consumption of local steroids and NSAIDs in the placebo group.
(11) The reported case of fetal infection in spite of previous rubella vaccination of the mother does not discourage the use of rubella vaccine.
(12) Although operative mortality was significantly greater for women during most of this review period, mortality was similar during 1983 (2.6% for men versus 2.4% for women), in spite of a significantly higher incidence of unstable angina in the female group (54% for women versus 35% for men).
(13) The shapes of the curves for soleus and tibialis anterior are similar in spite of the different mechanical conditions of the two muscles.
(14) In spite of the limitations arising from the complex geometry of the right ventricule, echocardiography may be the most important non-invasive technique in the evaluation of the structural and functional repercussion of hypertension on the right ventricle.
(15) Thus, in spite of its excellent activity and unquestionable effectiveness, rifampicin should be used with caution in severe staphylococcal infections.
(16) My son was born healthy, strong and very handsome, in spite of his dangerous start.
(17) The great clinical value of the procedure is shown by the following findings:X-ray-negative lesions--including 2 cases of carcinoma--were found in 35 percent of the cases, radiologically demonstrated lesions could be defined more precisely in 18 percent, and the presence of colonic lesions could be ruled out in 11 percent in spite of equivocal X-ray findings.
(18) In spite of low fluoride content in their water supply, the findings revealed a generally low prevalence of caries experience (DMFT 1.26).
(19) In anesthetized cats, the enhancement of sympathetic activity and increase of the blood pressure in exclusion of afferents (section of vagosympathetic trunks and clamping of common carotid arteries) as well as the disappearance of the activity in enhanced afferentation, were shown to be transient and to disappear within a few minutes-scores of minutes in spite of the going on deafferentation or enhancement of afferentation.
(20) By modifying the spatial distribution of afferents to the network, we demonstrate that the same basic model functions properly in spite of afferents with nonuniform background firing rates.