(1) We examined the predacious gram-negative bacterium Bdellovibrio bacteriovorous 109J and free-living strains 109J-A1 and 109J-KA1 derived therefrom for penicillin-binding proteins (PBPs).
(2) The assumptions of an investigation on absolute bioavailability are discussed and the limitations on generalizability resulting therefrom.
(3) Immunoperoxidase staining of frozen tissue sections with HEA125 demonstrated the presence of Egp34 in almost all normal epithelia and tumours derived therefrom.
(4) Attention is drawn to the similarities between the lesions caused by H. suis and Mycoplasma hyorhinis, and to the confusion which may result therefrom.
(5) The primary purpose of this manuscript is to demonstrate the qualitative and quantitative radiologic signs indicative of the diagnosis and the surgical management resulting therefrom.
(6) Furthermore, since only few of an individual's characteristics are used as classifying attributes, individuals themselves become submerged in the class, and their individuality lost in the scientific laws that arise therefrom.
(7) Subsequently, vimentin persists in the endoderm and mesoderm and the tissues derived therefrom, such as the somites and developing heart, throughout the period of study.
(8) This study was undertaken to assess the prevalence and characteristic hormonal profile of endocrine cells in Barrett's mucosa and to determine to what extent this profile was shared by endocrine cells of adenocarcinomas arising therefrom.
(9) The procedures used in Burma and the lessons that were learnt therefrom are described.
(10) Dethiation and debenzoylation of 16a provided an alternate route to the recently reported 3-carbamoylallopurinol ribonucleoside thus confirming the structural assignment of 16a and the nucleosides derived therefrom.
(11) Partial inhibition by relatively high concentrations of Hoe 296 of the respiratory activity of yeast cells or mitochondria therefrom with exogenous substrates can be explained by decreased uptake of the substrates from the medium.
(12) The amino-terminal sequence (excluding the initial methionine residue) deduced therefrom was in agreement with the protein sequence of the yeast reductase.
(13) Therefrom it was concluded that in approximately 80% of the F(ab)2 molecules one of the two inter heavy chain-bridges was opened.
(14) These findings are taken to support the concept of mutagenesis by misrepair after alkylation, which albeit sharing common features with the mechanism of UV-induced reversion, can be distinguished therefrom.
(15) Seawater containing 25-35 mM KCl inhibits this hyperpolarization, the depolarization and the acrosome reaction induced by egg jelly, or by the acrosome reaction inducing factor purified therefrom.
(16) The selectivity for arachidonate incorporation into inositol phospholipids coupled with turnover of the arachidonate-containing molecular species suggests that inositol phospholipids containing arachidonic acid or the diacylglycerol resulting therefrom may play a vital cellular role in GH3 cells.
(17) A monocyte chemotactic activity was found to be released by various types of cultured human cells after appropriate stimulation: normal diploid fibroblasts, peripheral blood mononuclear cells or monocytes isolated therefrom, and a number of tumor cell lines, including osteosarcoma (MG-63) and hepatoma (Malavu) but not melanoma (Bowes) cells.
(18) The present study demonstrates that pertussis toxin treatment of cells abolished the cannabimimetic response in intact cells and in membranes derived therefrom.
(19) The data obtained for nucleobases (purines and pyrimidines) as well as the contents of nucleic acids (RNA, DNA) calculated therefrom and the content of IMP corresponding to the determined content of hypoxanthine are reported in three tables.
(20) The latter compound or a metabolite derived therefrom may be the 'toxic principle' of both the ether glyceroglycolipids and ether glycerophospholipids having a 1-O-alkyl-2-O-methylglyceryl moiety, as suggested by Unger et al.
(adv.) At which place; where.
(conj.) Considering that; it being the case that; since; -- used to introduce a preamble which is the basis of declarations, affirmations, commands, requests, or like, that follow.
(conj.) When in fact; while on the contrary; the case being in truth that; although; -- implying opposition to something that precedes; or implying recognition of facts, sometimes followed by a different statement, and sometimes by inferences or something consequent.
(1) This trend appeared to reverse itself in the low dose animals after 3 hr, whereas in the high dose group, cardiac output continued to decline.
(2) Patients with papillary carcinoma with a good cell-mediated immune response occurred with much lower infiltration of the tumor boundary with lymphocyte whereas the follicular carcinoma less cell-mediated immunity was associated with dense lymphocytic infiltration, suggesting the biological relevance of lymphocytic infiltration may be different for the two histologic variants.
(3) There was appreciable variation in toothbrush wear among subjects, some reducing their brush to a poor state in 2 weeks whereas with others the brush was rated as "good" after 10 weeks.
(4) The most actively proliferating region of the excurrent duct system is zone 3 of the epididymis, whereas the least active region is the ductuli efferentes.
(5) The newborn with critical AS typically presents with severe cardiac failure and the infant with moderate failure, whereas children may be asymptomatic.
(6) F(420) is photolabile aerobically in neutral and basic solutions, whereas the acid-stable chromophore is not photolabile under these conditions.
(7) Application of 40 microM NiCl2 reversibly blocked It while leaving Is intact, whereas 20 microM CdCl2 reversibly blocked Is, but not It.
(8) When micF was cloned into a high-copy-number plasmid it repressed ompF gene expression, whereas when cloned into a low-copy-number plasmid it did not.
(9) Ethanol and L-ethionine induce acute steatosis without necrosis, whereas azaserine, carbon tetrachloride, and D-galactosamine are known to produce steatosis with varying degrees of hepatic necrosis.
(10) Whereas strain Ga-1 was practically avirulent for mice, strain KL-1 produced death by 21 days in 50% of the mice inoculated.
(11) Eighty-two per cent of patients with falciparum malaria had recently returned from Africa whereas 82% with vivax malaria had visited Asia.
(12) The results indicate that OA-bearing macrophages primed T cells and generated helper T cells, whereas the culture of normal lymphocytes with soluble OA in the absence of macrophages generated suppressor T cells.
(13) After midazolam infusion, there was a 50% decrease in amplitude of P3 in response to target tones (P less than 0.006), whereas N3 latency increased by 40 ms (P less than 0.05).
(14) Maximal yields of lipid and aflatoxin were obtained with 30% glucose, whereas mold growth, expressed as dry weight, was maximal when the medium contained 10% glucose.
(15) Epidermal growth factor reduced plating efficiency by about 50% for A431 cells in different cell cycle phases whereas a slight increase in plating efficiency was seen for SiHa cells.
(16) Peak Expiratory Flow and Forced Expiratory Mean Flows in the ranges 0-25%, 25-50% and 50-75% of Forced Vital Capacity were significantly reduced in animals exposed to gasoline exhaust fumes, whereas the group exposed to ethanol exhaust fumes did not differ from the control group.
(17) When the eye was dissected into anterior uveal, scleral, and retinal complexes, prostaglandin D2 was formed in the highest degree in all the complexes, whereas prostaglandin E2 and F2 alpha formation was specific to given ocular regions.
(18) This mAb inhibited monocyte binding of both soluble FITC-labeled IgA and IgA-coated E, whereas it did not inhibit IgG binding.
(19) Chloroquine induced large cytoplasmic vacuoles, whereas the other drugs (quinacrine, 4,4'-diethylaminoethoxyhexestrol, chlorphentermine, iprindole, 1-chloro-amitriptyline, clomipramine) caused formation of lamellated or crystalloid inclusions as usually seen in drug-induced lipidosis.
(20) hypoglossal nucleus), whereas in other areas the angiotensinogen gene was expressed only in a certain population of glial cells.