(1) Rats inoculated in the tail-base with killed Mycobacterium butyricum developed an arthritic swelling and inflammation of the limbs accompanied by a hyperalgesia to noxious pressure applied thereto.
(2) An even greater loss of females was most probably the cause of the high sex ratios in the preliminary and follow-up surveys of SMSR R mice, which we ascribe to an interaction between the H-2 haplotype of the R strain, or a gene linked thereto, and the Old Guildford diet that is unfavourable to female survival.
(3) "After consideration of the bill and having applied my mind thereto, I am of the view that the bill as it stands does not pass constitutional muster."
(4) Of these, 4 (caffeic, rosmarinic, chlorogenic, and ellagic acids) are present in the plants, and 4 (3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetic acid, deoxyepinephrine, adenochrome, and nordihydroguaretic acid) are structurally related thereto.
(5) Where such entities and activities related thereto exist, the extent to which persons represented by registered employee association: (a) are protected from any adverse effects or negative consequences arising from their existence; or (b) are informed of their existence; or (c) are able to have influence or control of their operation; or (d) have the opportunity to hold officers of such associations accountable for any alleged wrongdoing.
(6) This article reports two cases of extracranial angiomatous vascular malformation, with blood being conveyed thereto by the external carotid artery.
(7) The Finnish Board of Health has issued recommendations on diminished use of liver and foodstuffs containing liver in order to avoid overdosage of vitamin A and the health risks related thereto.
(8) Thus, further evidence was provided that an intact second immunological signal and responsiveness thereto were required to trigger secondary antibody responses in primed animals.
(9) Scanning along human acoustovestibular nerves from cross-sections closely proximal to the brain to locations distinctly peripheral thereto, by means of small-angle X-ray diffraction, has disclosed transitional junctions at which the myelin structure typical of central nervous system (CNS) axons gives way to one characteristic of peripheral (PNS) fibers.
(10) Data also suggest that the R-locus genes involved are adjacent to a centromere, with the O factor being proximal thereto.
(11) While the supreme court, in its Citizens United case seems to have said that corporations are people, with all the rights attendant thereto, this legal fiction didn't endow corporations with a sense of moral responsibility; and they have the Plastic Man capacity to be everywhere and nowhere at the same time – to be everywhere when it comes to selling their products, and nowhere when it comes to reporting the profits derived from those sales.
(12) In contrast thereto the influence on the state of well-being was less impressive.
(13) Results are consistent with the presence of afferent nerve terminals in hepatic portal vessels which are sensitive to change in NaCl or glucose concentration and which, in response thereto, alter drinking behaviour.
(14) Hormones, or synthetic substances inducing physiologic effects similar thereto, are of crucial significance for survival of several kinds of hormone-responsive cancers in man and animals.
(15) The trypsin-inhibiting activity of human serum is lowered upon addition of formaldehyde or acetaldehyde thereto.
(16) These results indicate that release of CRF from the adrenal gland during splanchnic nerve stimulation in the calf does not contribute significantly to the steroidogenic response thereto.
(17) Subjects were divided into 2 groups (A and B); A group and B group were re-laparotomized 3-7 and 21 days later, respectively and were observed for mesentery and loop appearance, then were extirpated for sigmoid colon and descending colon with mesenterium attached thereto.
(18) Visualization of acid phosphatase and aryl sulfatase activity was used to identify tissue components as belonging thereto.
(19) The derivation is based on an assumed constant density of visual fibres entering the striate cortex and on a continuous retinotopic mapping of the visual field thereto.
(20) Severance of connection between LHA and structures caudal thereto had no effect on LHA neurone firing rates or rhythms.
(adv.) At which place; where.
(conj.) Considering that; it being the case that; since; -- used to introduce a preamble which is the basis of declarations, affirmations, commands, requests, or like, that follow.
(conj.) When in fact; while on the contrary; the case being in truth that; although; -- implying opposition to something that precedes; or implying recognition of facts, sometimes followed by a different statement, and sometimes by inferences or something consequent.
(1) This trend appeared to reverse itself in the low dose animals after 3 hr, whereas in the high dose group, cardiac output continued to decline.
(2) Patients with papillary carcinoma with a good cell-mediated immune response occurred with much lower infiltration of the tumor boundary with lymphocyte whereas the follicular carcinoma less cell-mediated immunity was associated with dense lymphocytic infiltration, suggesting the biological relevance of lymphocytic infiltration may be different for the two histologic variants.
(3) There was appreciable variation in toothbrush wear among subjects, some reducing their brush to a poor state in 2 weeks whereas with others the brush was rated as "good" after 10 weeks.
(4) The most actively proliferating region of the excurrent duct system is zone 3 of the epididymis, whereas the least active region is the ductuli efferentes.
(5) The newborn with critical AS typically presents with severe cardiac failure and the infant with moderate failure, whereas children may be asymptomatic.
(6) F(420) is photolabile aerobically in neutral and basic solutions, whereas the acid-stable chromophore is not photolabile under these conditions.
(7) Application of 40 microM NiCl2 reversibly blocked It while leaving Is intact, whereas 20 microM CdCl2 reversibly blocked Is, but not It.
(8) When micF was cloned into a high-copy-number plasmid it repressed ompF gene expression, whereas when cloned into a low-copy-number plasmid it did not.
(9) Ethanol and L-ethionine induce acute steatosis without necrosis, whereas azaserine, carbon tetrachloride, and D-galactosamine are known to produce steatosis with varying degrees of hepatic necrosis.
(10) Whereas strain Ga-1 was practically avirulent for mice, strain KL-1 produced death by 21 days in 50% of the mice inoculated.
(11) Eighty-two per cent of patients with falciparum malaria had recently returned from Africa whereas 82% with vivax malaria had visited Asia.
(12) The results indicate that OA-bearing macrophages primed T cells and generated helper T cells, whereas the culture of normal lymphocytes with soluble OA in the absence of macrophages generated suppressor T cells.
(13) After midazolam infusion, there was a 50% decrease in amplitude of P3 in response to target tones (P less than 0.006), whereas N3 latency increased by 40 ms (P less than 0.05).
(14) Maximal yields of lipid and aflatoxin were obtained with 30% glucose, whereas mold growth, expressed as dry weight, was maximal when the medium contained 10% glucose.
(15) Epidermal growth factor reduced plating efficiency by about 50% for A431 cells in different cell cycle phases whereas a slight increase in plating efficiency was seen for SiHa cells.
(16) Peak Expiratory Flow and Forced Expiratory Mean Flows in the ranges 0-25%, 25-50% and 50-75% of Forced Vital Capacity were significantly reduced in animals exposed to gasoline exhaust fumes, whereas the group exposed to ethanol exhaust fumes did not differ from the control group.
(17) When the eye was dissected into anterior uveal, scleral, and retinal complexes, prostaglandin D2 was formed in the highest degree in all the complexes, whereas prostaglandin E2 and F2 alpha formation was specific to given ocular regions.
(18) This mAb inhibited monocyte binding of both soluble FITC-labeled IgA and IgA-coated E, whereas it did not inhibit IgG binding.
(19) Chloroquine induced large cytoplasmic vacuoles, whereas the other drugs (quinacrine, 4,4'-diethylaminoethoxyhexestrol, chlorphentermine, iprindole, 1-chloro-amitriptyline, clomipramine) caused formation of lamellated or crystalloid inclusions as usually seen in drug-induced lipidosis.
(20) hypoglossal nucleus), whereas in other areas the angiotensinogen gene was expressed only in a certain population of glial cells.