What's the difference between unchangeable and unmodifiable?
(1) As increases to the Isa allowance are based on the CPI inflation figure for the year to the previous September, the new data suggests the current Isa limit of £15,240 will remain unchanged next year.
(2) The acute effect of alcohol manifested itself by decreasing mitochondrial respiration, compensated by increased glycolytic activity of the myocardium so that myocardial energy phosphate concentration remained unchanged.
(3) Helsby, who joined the estate agent in 1980, saw his basic salary unchanged at £225,000, but gains a £610,000 windfall in shares, available from May, as well as a £363,000 increase in cash and shares under the company profits-sharing scheme.
(4) In lactate medium the capacity of each AIB carrier is unchanged but its affinity is reduced to one-third.
(5) Glucose metabolic rates during control and reperfusion were unchanged for hearts from fasted rats, but decreased for hearts from fed rats during reperfusion.
(6) Liver bloodflow remained unchanged in AS dogs, but hepatic alanine uptake nearly tripled (p less than 0.01) and hepatic glucose production increased by 60% (p less than 0.05).
(7) Since the incidence of gastric cancer in our population seems to be unchanged, this may suggest a true increase in proximal gastric tumours.
(8) When AMT administration was discontinued 40 hrs before precipitation of withdrawal the withdrawal pattern occurred with unchanged intensity.
(9) Since then the intensive development of anti-malaria campaigns in urban areas over about ten years led temporarily to a considerable decrease in the level of endemicity, while in rural areas it remained unchanged.
(10) Visual acuity was improved in 77%, was worse in 13%, and unchanged in 10% of eyes.
(11) Repeated feedings of 1 mg of Sudan III induced cumulative increases in the concentration of menadione reductase (EC 188.8.131.52) in liver, whereas protein concentration was unchanged.
(12) Both the use of analgesics and the frequency of headache showed a significant increase for patients with post-traumatic headache when compared with a "control group" of 41 patients with unchanged headache and when compared with all patients with headache before the trauma.
(13) With the predictive control method changes in CO in the TAH were almost the same as in the NH, whereas no increase in CO occurred with the fixed control method (FC), in which operating parameters remained unchanged during exercise.
(14) The level of several host-cell polyadenylated RNAs detected as cDNA clones (class 3 transcripts) were unchanged 8 hours after HSV-2 infection, and other cellular transcripts (class 2) actually accumulated at postinfection.
(15) Under the influence of PSC, parathyroid gland function remained unchanged, but serum levels of bone alkaline phosphatase and osteocalcin were low, and urinary hydroxyproline was high.
(16) In lipid extracts of yolk, more than 90% of the radioactivity was as unchanged cholecalciferol and 5% as 25-hydroxycholecalciferol.
(17) Polysomnography has revealed that this drug has several interesting qualities that benzodiazepines do not possess: stages 3-4 increase, stage 2 is unchanged or slightly reduced and no abnormal changes are detected on the EEG tracing.
(18) For ticarcillin, 86% and 93% of the dose of the 3.1 and 3.2 gm formulations, respectively, were excreted unchanged in urine during the first 6 hours after infusion.
(19) Doses of all medications except antibiotics were kept unchanged during the study.
(20) Of the arginine analogues tested, only homoarginine and canavanine (in which all three functional groups of arginine are unchanged) were effective feeding stimulants.
(1) It was found that linear extrapolations of log k' versus ET(30) plots to the polarity of unmodified aqueous mobile phase gave a more reliable value of log k'w than linear regressions of log k' versus volume percent.
(2) Hemoglobin A reductively ethylated at the alpha-amino groups eluted on CM-52 ahead of unmodified hemoglobin A, and hemoglobin A reductively ethylated at the epsilon-amino groups.
(3) The product AEDANS-S1 can bind to 30S ribosomal subunits lacking S1 as shown by polyacrylamide-agarose gel electrophoresis AEDANS-S1 and AAF-S1 when added back to S1-depleted 30S subunits modulate poly(U)-dependent polyphenylalanine synthesis in the presence of IF3 in a very similar way to unmodified S1.
(4) Aromatic adducts present in the digest that were resistant to nuclease P1 were thus 32P-labelled while unmodified nucleotides were not.
(5) Here we show that restriction requires two unmodified recognition sites that can be separated by different distances but which must be in inverse orientation.
(6) The stabilities of the duplexes are similar to those formed by unmodified oligomers, whereas the stability of the triplexes is approximately 18 degrees C lower than that formed by unmodified oligomers.
(7) Therefore, BiP exists either (1) complexed to other proteins, (2) as a free unmodified monomer, or (3) as free modified aggregates.
(8) The results of this comparison indicate that the membrane fragments found in the culture supernatant of normally growing Escherichia coli consist of practically unmodified outer membrane.
(9) The results of our phenotypic and functional testing of unmodified GIC (no enzyme treatment, no additional culture with or without interleukin 2), show that T cells, especially OKT8+ cells, are of paramount importance in the mechanism of this type of acute irreversible rejection of human renal allografts (i.e., to the point of allograft rupture), but other potential effector mechanisms are also present in situ.
(10) Treatment with unmodified OA under the same conditions fails to inhibit primary or secondary IgE responses or to increase IgG2a but does lead to pronounced increases in OA-specific IgG1 production.
(11) The gene encodes a putative cell-surface receptor, the unmodified form of which is predicted as 288 kD, bearing a cytoplasmic tyrosine kinase domain.
(12) This modified double-strand DNA was reacted with unmodified single-strand DNA in vitro.
(13) Moreover, the slope of the response curve of the moving limb remained unmodified, while that of the early component of the postural responses, which involved the remaining limbs, decreased following stimulation of the motor cortex at different stimulus intensities.
(14) As the peptides are resolved in the AU minislab gel on the basis of charge and size, it is possible to separate peptides containing modified amino acids from the unmodified, parent peptide.
(15) The second group (12 patients) was characterized immunologically by a weak or non-existent specific immune response, and clinically by the unmodified persistence of the warts.
(16) Delusions have traditionally been regarded as unmodifiable false beliefs.
(17) Klenow fragment binds equally well to a DNA template adjacent to a drug modification site and to unmodified DNA.
(18) Acidified Maalox 70 and Al(OH)3 were significantly more potent than unmodified agents against all four tested types of acute mucosal lesions, and this action was probably due to their 'mild irritant' effect as evidenced by extensive exfoliation of the surface epithelial cells observed microscopically after the exposure of the mucosa to these agents.
(19) The binding mechanism of unmodified tRNAPhe comprises a recombination step and a consecutive conformational change.
(20) The affinity of modified HMWKa for kaolin was tenfold less than the affinity of unmodified HMWKa.