(conj.) Considering that; it being the case that; since; -- used to introduce a preamble which is the basis of declarations, affirmations, commands, requests, or like, that follow.
(conj.) When in fact; while on the contrary; the case being in truth that; although; -- implying opposition to something that precedes; or implying recognition of facts, sometimes followed by a different statement, and sometimes by inferences or something consequent.
(1) This trend appeared to reverse itself in the low dose animals after 3 hr, whereas in the high dose group, cardiac output continued to decline.
(2) Patients with papillary carcinoma with a good cell-mediated immune response occurred with much lower infiltration of the tumor boundary with lymphocyte whereas the follicular carcinoma less cell-mediated immunity was associated with dense lymphocytic infiltration, suggesting the biological relevance of lymphocytic infiltration may be different for the two histologic variants.
(3) There was appreciable variation in toothbrush wear among subjects, some reducing their brush to a poor state in 2 weeks whereas with others the brush was rated as "good" after 10 weeks.
(4) The most actively proliferating region of the excurrent duct system is zone 3 of the epididymis, whereas the least active region is the ductuli efferentes.
(5) The newborn with critical AS typically presents with severe cardiac failure and the infant with moderate failure, whereas children may be asymptomatic.
(6) F(420) is photolabile aerobically in neutral and basic solutions, whereas the acid-stable chromophore is not photolabile under these conditions.
(7) Application of 40 microM NiCl2 reversibly blocked It while leaving Is intact, whereas 20 microM CdCl2 reversibly blocked Is, but not It.
(8) When micF was cloned into a high-copy-number plasmid it repressed ompF gene expression, whereas when cloned into a low-copy-number plasmid it did not.
(9) Ethanol and L-ethionine induce acute steatosis without necrosis, whereas azaserine, carbon tetrachloride, and D-galactosamine are known to produce steatosis with varying degrees of hepatic necrosis.
(10) Whereas strain Ga-1 was practically avirulent for mice, strain KL-1 produced death by 21 days in 50% of the mice inoculated.
(11) Eighty-two per cent of patients with falciparum malaria had recently returned from Africa whereas 82% with vivax malaria had visited Asia.
(12) The results indicate that OA-bearing macrophages primed T cells and generated helper T cells, whereas the culture of normal lymphocytes with soluble OA in the absence of macrophages generated suppressor T cells.
(13) After midazolam infusion, there was a 50% decrease in amplitude of P3 in response to target tones (P less than 0.006), whereas N3 latency increased by 40 ms (P less than 0.05).
(14) Maximal yields of lipid and aflatoxin were obtained with 30% glucose, whereas mold growth, expressed as dry weight, was maximal when the medium contained 10% glucose.
(15) Epidermal growth factor reduced plating efficiency by about 50% for A431 cells in different cell cycle phases whereas a slight increase in plating efficiency was seen for SiHa cells.
(16) Peak Expiratory Flow and Forced Expiratory Mean Flows in the ranges 0-25%, 25-50% and 50-75% of Forced Vital Capacity were significantly reduced in animals exposed to gasoline exhaust fumes, whereas the group exposed to ethanol exhaust fumes did not differ from the control group.
(17) When the eye was dissected into anterior uveal, scleral, and retinal complexes, prostaglandin D2 was formed in the highest degree in all the complexes, whereas prostaglandin E2 and F2 alpha formation was specific to given ocular regions.
(18) This mAb inhibited monocyte binding of both soluble FITC-labeled IgA and IgA-coated E, whereas it did not inhibit IgG binding.
(19) Chloroquine induced large cytoplasmic vacuoles, whereas the other drugs (quinacrine, 4,4'-diethylaminoethoxyhexestrol, chlorphentermine, iprindole, 1-chloro-amitriptyline, clomipramine) caused formation of lamellated or crystalloid inclusions as usually seen in drug-induced lipidosis.
(20) hypoglossal nucleus), whereas in other areas the angiotensinogen gene was expressed only in a certain population of glial cells.
(1) Only one part of the theory of Alajouanine and colleagues has been confirmed by our experiments for our results have shown that there is a very close correlation between semantic paraphasias and disorders of semantic differentiation whilst no correlation can be found between phonemic paraphasias and disturbances in auditory phonemic discrimination.
(2) In a new venture, BDJ Study Tours will offer a separate itinerary for partners on the Study Safari so whilst the business of dentistry gets under way they can explore additional sights in this fascinating country.
(3) Since all human cadaveric tissue is fixed whilst on the skeleton, we may assume that shrinkage of the muscles in such specimens is negligible.
(4) The total population, however, will increase with decrease of either of these two factors, whilst the number of diseased will also increase proportionately.
(5) "It will strike consumers as unfair that whilst the company is still trading, they are unable to use gift cards and vouchers," he said.
(6) A teaching package is described for teaching interview skills to large blocks of medical students whilst on their psychiatric attachment.
(7) Animals were chronically implanted with epidural or deep recording electrodes and a cannula in one lateral ventricle, and tested whilst seated in a primate chair.
(8) Whilst we deeply regret all these incidents and acknowledge that the care of these patients could have been better, this is a relatively low number of incidents for a hospital of this size,” it said in a statement.
(9) Moreover, whilst paracetamol concentrations declined monoexponentially in the patients, the decline was biexponential in the controls.
(10) Asymmetries occur less often whilst using the low-cervical-pull according to Sander, due to the reduced friction between the two plastic parts of this headgear system.
(11) Whilst this is a potentially serious source of false positive diagnoses, the possibility also exists that this phenomenon could be used to evaluate the degree to which active disease is present in the joints of patients suffering from inflammatory disease.
(12) During ENPV, arterial oxygen tension (PaO2) increased from 6.8 to 8.2 kPa (p less than 0.01) whilst PaCO2 decreased from 6.8 to 5.8 kPa (p less than 0.01) suggesting that despite the large physiological deadspace, a significant increase in alveolar ventilation had occurred.
(13) The main conclusion was that whilst osteoarthritic cartilage is undoubtedly less able to resist water loss under a given applied pressure than normal cartilage, this is not due to a change in the "quality" of the proteoglycans, resulting in a change in the osmotic pressure of the latter, but simply to a decreased fixed charge density.
(14) Whilst developing an elbow endoprosthesis, the joint forces were estimated for patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
(15) A detergent-soluble fraction of ASP given with the adjuvant provided 87.2% protection (group III), whilst non-specific vaccination with serum proteins plus Be(OH)2 elicited 99% protection (group IV).
(16) Of these only five had "pure" or isolated ectasia, whilst 18 had ectatic disease combined with coronary artery stenoses.
(17) The spontaneous prognosis of ischaemic forms is favourable, whilst in other cases it depends on the primary condition.
(18) Whilst there were some encouraging signs of behaviour change, opportunities for the spread of HIV continued to abound in this important group.
(19) PCA extracts showed the PME peak to be greater than 70% phosphorylethanolamine whilst the PDE peak included almost equal proportions of glycerophosphorylethanolamine and glycerophosphorylcholine.
(20) Whilst the neurophysiological mechanism involved has not been explained fully, the phenomenon is influenced by starting position and by fatigue.