(n.) The flat projection or iron shelf at the side of a fire grate, where things are put to be kept warm.
(n.) A threaded and fluted hardened steel cutter, resembling a tap, used in a lathe for forming the teeth of screw chasers, worm wheels, etc.
(n.) A fairy; a sprite; an elf.
(n.) A countryman; a rustic; a clown.
(1) A new bone cell line was established by transfecting normal adult human osteoblast-like (hOB) cells, derived from a 68-year-old woman, with the plasmid pSV3 neo.
(2) Grilled onion salad with pomegranates Serves 4 1kg new season's onions with tops on (or red and spring onions), roots trimmed and washed 1 large pomegranate, or 100g picked pomegranate seeds 1 tbs finely chopped fresh mint For the dressing: 1 large pomegranate, or 100g picked pomegranate seeds 1 small garlic clove, crushed to a paste with salt 6 tbs extra virgin olive oil sea salt and black pepper Place the onions whole over a hot barbecue, directly on the naked flame of a gas hob or under the grill until the skin is charred and crispy all over and the flesh is very soft, for about 15-40 minutes depending on the size of the onions.
(3) In order to estimate the peripheral metabolic state under the cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) which is considered to be a moderate and controllable shock state, we measured the pyruvate (P), lactate (L) and ketone bodies (acetoacetate [ACA], 3-hydroxybutyrate[HOB]) pre, during, and post-CPB in 20 open heart surgical patients (Group 1).
(4) Brigitte is a posh wendy house for grown ups, I realised as we squeezed ourselves inside the nine-metre-squared space, which somehow fits a double bed, a tiny table, chair and stool, a teeny bathroom with shower, two slender wardrobes, three shelves, and a kitchenette, with fridge, hob and coffee maker.
(5) SDS-substrate gel electrophoresis of hOB-conditioned media revealed a prominent band of gelatinolytic activity at 68 kD, and specific polyclonal antisera established its identity with the major gelatinolytic protease of human fibroblasts.
(6) I do this by holding them with tongs over the fame of my gas hob – it’s super-quick and gives a delicious charred taste – but the oven will do just fine.
(7) Whereas an effux of beta-HOB has been observed during exercise, Acac uptake was increased in these patients.
(8) Bring to the boil on the hob, then transfer to the preheated oven and cook for 8-10 minutes.
(9) Cytogenetical consequences of high oxygen pressure action (HOB) have been studied in professional and nonprofessional divers after deepening.
(10) Skim any fat from the liquid in the casserole, then set on the hob and bring to a simmer.
(11) As I hob-nobbed with friends, family and the invited guests of the RI at the drinks reception beforehand, my mind kept flitting back to my notes.
(12) Abundant secretion of gelatinolytic, but not collagenolytic, enzymes by hOB may indicate that human osteoblasts do not initiate and direct the cleavage of osteoid collagen on the bone surface, but may participate in the preparation of the bone surface for osteoclast attachment by removal of denatured collagen peptides.
(13) Put the roasting tin on the hob and get it simmering.
(14) Recipe by Jane Baxter Three ways to cook rhubarb • Roasting rhubarb gently in the oven (as in the recipe above) is the best way to get nice-looking pieces – when you simmer it on the hob it is very easy to overcook the rhubarb and create a (delicious) puree.
(15) A high correlation was found between the number of undeveloped embryos and the blood concentrations of metabolic diabetic factors: glucose (r = .53-.64 in type-I diabetes), B-HOB (r = .7-.77 in type-II diabetes untreated or treated with Daonil), acetoacetate (r = .66 in insulin-treated type-II diabetes), and HbA1c (r = .89 in insulin-treated type-II diabetes or .99 in Daonil-treated type-II diabetes).
(16) ‘owl-light’ (Lancashire) fizmer the whispering sound of wind in reeds or grass (Fenland) grimlins the night hours around midsummer when dusk blends into dawn (Orkney) The word-hoard: Robert Macfarlane on rewilding our language of landscape Read more gruffy ground the surface landscape left behind by lead-mining (Somerset) grumma a mirage caused by mist or haze (Shetland) hob-gob a dangerously choppy sea (Suffolk) muxy of land; sticky, miry, muddy (Exmoor) outshifts the fringes and boundaries of a town (Cambridgeshire) roarie-bummlers fast-moving storm clouds (Scots) snow-bones long thin patches of snow still lying after a thaw, often in dips or stream-cuts (Yorkshire) turn-whol a deep and seething pool where two quick streams meet (Cumbria) zwer the whirring sound made by a covey of partridge taking flight (Exmoor)
(17) We evaluated the effects of 17 beta-estradiol treatment (1 pM to 10 nM) on the proliferation and differentiation of cultured normal adult human cells that expressed many of the phenotypic characteristics and hormonal sensitivities of mature osteoblasts (hOB cells).
(18) HOB and TKB significantly increased immediately after the start of CPB, afterward which declined during CPB and returned to the control level after CPB.
(19) Whereas alkaline phosphatase activity was increased by nearly twofold (P less than 0.01) when the hOB cells were treated with 1 nM 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 [1,25-(OH)2D3], treatment with estradiol had no effect when given alone and did not affect the cells' response to 1,25-(OH)2D3.
(20) Concentrations of FFA, 3-HOB and AcAc were 10, 20 and 35% lower than those of untreated goats.