(n.) The space between two objects; the length of a line, especially the shortest line joining two points or things that are separate; measure of separation in place.
(n.) Remoteness of place; a remote place.
(n.) A space marked out in the last part of a race course.
(n.) Relative space, between troops in ranks, measured from front to rear; -- contrasted with interval, which is measured from right to left.
(n.) Space between two antagonists in fencing.
(n.) The part of a picture which contains the representation of those objects which are the farthest away, esp. in a landscape.
(n.) Ideal disjunction; discrepancy; contrariety.
(n.) Length or interval of time; period, past or future, between two eras or events.
(n.) The remoteness or reserve which respect requires; hence, respect; ceremoniousness.
(n.) A withholding of intimacy; alienation; coldness; disagreement; variance; restraint; reserve.
(n.) Remoteness in succession or relation; as, the distance between a descendant and his ancestor.
(n.) The interval between two notes; as, the distance of a fourth or seventh.
(v. t.) To place at a distance or remotely.
(v. t.) To cause to appear as if at a distance; to make seem remote.
(v. t.) To outstrip by as much as a distance (see Distance, n., 3); to leave far behind; to surpass greatly.
(1) The distance between the end of fic and the start of pabA was 31 base pairs.
(2) Standard nerve conduction techniques using constant measured distances were applied to evaluate the median, ulnar and radial nerves.
(3) Accuracy of discrimination of letters at various preselected distances was determined each session while Ortho-rater examinations were given periodically throughout training.
(4) The capillary-adipocyte distances were shorter and the vascularization density was higher in old rats.
(5) Within the capillary-perfused mucosa and muscularis (between 50 and 2000 microns from the urothelial surface), concentrations decreased by 50% for each 500-microns distance.
(6) When compared with nonspecialized regions of the cell membranes, these contact sites were characterized by a decreased intercellular distance, subplasmalemmal densities and coated pits.
(7) The distance of nucleoid sedimentation increased as a function of exposure temperature and exposure time, and was proportional to an increased protein to DNA ratio in the nucleoids.
(8) The bond distances of Cu to Cl(1), Cl(2), N(3) and N(3') atoms are 2.299 (1), 2.267 (1), 1.985 (4) and 1.996 (3) A, respectively.
(9) The authors used a linear multivariate regression to evaluate the effects of distance from the highway, age and sex of the child, and housing condition.
(10) Tests in which the size of the landmark was altered from that used in training suggest that distance is not learned solely in terms of the apparent size of the landmark as seen from the goal.
(11) The difference in Brazil will be the huge distances involved, with the crazy decision not to host the group stages in geographical clusters leading to logistical and planning nightmares.
(12) Long-distanced urethrocystopexy which permits to avoid an unwanted increase of outflow resistance with following retention of urine should be preferred.
(13) After using the OK method to obtain a distance curve for height, we introduce a new method (VADK) to derive velocity and acceleration curves from the fitted distance curve.
(14) Shadow education secretary Tristram Hunt said people would see through her attempts to distance herself from Gove.
(15) Transplanted cells divided in vivo and progressively migrated into the host brain from the site of implantation up to distances of about 1 mm.
(16) Discrimination was possible among these four groups on the basis of the Mahalanobis' generalized distance.
(17) Extrapolating animal data to the neonates, we found the thoracic segment length recommended (the average of 29% of body length and electrode distance) to be accurate.
(18) The arrest of the Washington Post’s Tehran correspondent Jason Rezaian and his journalist wife, Yeganeh Salehi, as well as a photographer and her partner, is a brutal reminder of the distance between President Hassan Rouhani’s reforming promises and his willingness to act.
(19) The duration of electrophoresis was based on the migration of a marker dye for a predetermined distance.
(20) Near acuity with distance correction was J2 or more in 93.1% of the bifocals and in 17.4% of the monofocals (without correction: 79.3% and 41.4%, respectively).
(n.) Any of the smaller species of the genus Lepus, especially the common European species (Lepus cuniculus), which is often kept as a pet, and has been introduced into many countries. It is remarkably prolific, and has become a pest in some parts of Australia and New Zealand.
(1) In addition, intravenous injection of complexes into rabbits showed optimal myocardial images with agents of intermediate lipophilicity.
(2) Trifluoroacetylated rabbit serum albumin was 5 times more reactive with these antibodies and thus more antigenic than the homologous acetylated moiety confirming the importance of the trifluoromethyl moiety as an epitope in the immunogen in vivo.
(3) As the percentage of rabbit feed is very small compared to the bulk of animal feeds, there is a fair chance that rabbit feed will be contaminated with constituents (additives) of batches previously prepared for other animals.
(4) The influence of the hexylsalicylic acid (2) on the pharmacokinetic of the quinine (1), was studied using rabbits.
(5) Myocardial ischaemia was induced in perfused rabbit hearts by ligating the left main coronary artery.
(6) Serially sectioned rabbit foliate taste buds were examined with high voltage electron microscopy (HVEM) and computer-assisted, three-dimensional reconstruction.
(7) The distribution of gelsolin, a calcium-dependent actin-severing and capping protein, in the retina of the developing and adult rabbit was studied.
(8) Consequently, the present data indicate that training-induced changes in the CS-evoked activity of PFCm cells are significantly related to aversively conditioned bradycardia in rabbits.
(9) To identify the NHE-1 protein and to establish its cellular and subcellular localization in the rabbit kidney, we prepared antibodies to a NHE-1 fusion protein.
(10) The 0.1 M phosphate buffer eluant was electrophoretically heterogeneous and did not elicit the production of bactericidal antibodies in rabbits.
(11) Changes in renal renin levels after the administration of glycerol were not significant, although lower renal renin values were consistently found in rabbits with more severe impairment of renal function.
(12) The effect of hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and the combination of both on acute and chronic myocardial ischemia were evaluated in a total of 30 male rabbits.
(13) All of the rabbits immunized with FCA developed sterile subcutaneous abscesses.
(14) The role of adrenergic agents in augmenting proximal tubular salt and water flux, was studied in a preparation of freshly isolated rabbit renal proximal tubular cells in suspension.
(15) Forty-five enteropathogenic (enteropathogenic Escherichia coli-like) strains isolated in commercial rabbit farms were subdivided into four biotypes with the help of six carbohydrate fermentation tests, ornithine decarboxylase tests, and motility tests.
(16) In all immunized rabbits the antisera obtained with the 7 alpha-derivative had a higher affinity and a narrower specificity than the antiserum obtained with the 7 beta-derivative.
(17) Sera from three of these patients gave a precipitin band in gel diffusion tests identical to that produced by a monospecific rabbit anti-E. granulosus antigen 5 serum, when tested against whole hydatid fluid.
(18) Plasma membranes were obtained from a homogeneous population of rabbit red blood cells at different maturation periods.
(19) The hypothesis that experimentally determined survival times of Treponema pallidum in stored donor blood could be related to the number of treponemes initially present in the treponeme-blood mixtures was investigated by inoculating rabbits with three graded doses of treponemes suspended in donor blood and stored at 4 degrees C for various periods of time.
(20) Most notably, retroperitoneal lymph nodes in rabbits remained dark blue up to 28 days after hindlimb endolymphatic instillation of liposomal patent blue.