(v. t.) To plunge suddenly into water; to duck; to immerse; to dowse.
(v. t.) To strike or lower in haste; to slacken suddenly; as, douse the topsail.
(v. i.) To fall suddenly into water.
(v. t.) To put out; to extinguish.
(1) It has brought waves of Australian diplomats and functionaries implementing strategies to douse local disgruntlement at the profound social, cultural, environmental and economic impacts their operation has brought.
(2) In London there are generally four types of rock show: the billions of pub gigs where 20 of the band's mates try to convince you there's still a future in grindie; the arena and stadium blowouts where it's customary to express one's appreciation of the band by dousing one's peers in airborne urine; the east London artronica happenings where everyone's only watching everyone else; and the gigs in Hyde Park you can't hear.
(3) Hayes-White said first responders told her they saw people at the edge of the bay dousing themselves with water, possibly to cool burn injuries.
(4) One by one, the rain having slowed, the men turn the bucket's plastic tap and douse their hands in the life-saving water.
(5) El Niño, the weather system which often douses the western US, has returned after a five-year absence but promises little relief.
(6) Cameron has spent much of a three-day visit to the US battling to douse the Eurosceptic fires caused by the rise of Ukip.
(7) There are gates cleverly constructed from plastic crates and mail boxes fashioned from a oil cans, all liberally doused in bright blues and pinks, greens and yellows, tying each assemblage into a carefully crafted home.
(8) We buy – and companies supply – food doused in high-fructose corn syrup, delivering a sugar high that is hard to resist, but devoid of nutrition.
(9) Security forces shot him before they doused the flames.
(10) According to his lawyers , he was forced to stay awake for nine days, denied food, doused in freezing water and made to stand on concrete in the winter for 16 hours.
(11) Surely any warm glow we might feel about HMV nostalgia deserves dousing with the news that gift vouchers some bought at the shop over Christmas are now invalid .
(12) Fire engines stood by to douse flames, including in one shop that was set on fire, but the protests appear to have ended without deaths or significant injuries, unlike previous violent protests against the burning of copies of the Qur'an by a US pastor and US troops, when several people died.
(13) Smoke billows into the air as a firefighter douses the fire at the Glasgow School of Art's Charles Rennie Mackintosh building.
(14) The video appeared to show vulnerable residents being pinned down, slapped, doused in water and taunted.
(15) Rahman had been left in a cold cell, stripped from the waist down and had been doused in water, according to reports from the Associated Press .
(16) The drama bounces from Texas to Mississippi on the cusp of the civil war, effects a shotgun wedding of 60s spaghetti western with 70s "slavesploitation" and douses the magnolia in arterial blood.
(17) A kung pao chicken appetizer was made with chicken McNuggets doused in sweet and sour sauce and garnished with parsley.
(18) When Scotland got their goal back it could have been a bit edgy, but we responded fantastically and it was very special for me to score two goals for England in Scotland at Celtic Park.” Gordon Strachan admitted his players had been “spooked” by England’s energetic opening as they slipped to only a second defeat in 11 games to douse some of the optimism generated by Friday’s victory over the Republic of Ireland .
(19) Mirallas and Naismith were involved again as Everton doused any hope Arsenal had of salvaging pride in the second half.
(20) As Indonesia deployed planes and a fourth helicopter to help douse the fires in Riau province, Sumatra, much of southern Malaysia was shrouded in thick smog.
(v. t.) To put out.
(1) The standard of death certification needs to be improved upon, especially with respect to the clarification of the primary and the contributory causes of death and whether post-mortem examination was carrie dout or not.