(n.) One of the great tendons situated in each side of the ham, or space back of the knee, and connected with the muscles of the back of the thigh.
(v. t.) To lame or disable by cutting the tendons of the ham or knee; to hough; hence, to cripple; to incapacitate; to disable.
(1) Paul Doyle Kick-off Sunday midday Venue St Mary’s Stadium Last season Southampton 2 Leicester City 2 Live Sky Sports 1 Referee Michael Oliver This season G 18, Y 60, R 1, 3.44 cards per game Odds H 5-6 A 4-1 D 5-2 Southampton Subs from Taylor, Martina, Stephens, Davis, Rodriguez, Sims, Ward-Prowse Doubtful Bertrand, Davis, Van Dijk (all match fitness) Injured Boufal (knee, Jan), Hesketh (ankle, Feb), Targett (hamstring, Feb), Austin (shoulder, Mar), Pied (knee, Jun), Gardos (knee, unknown) Suspended None Form DWLLLL Discipline Y37 R2 Leading scorer Austin 6 Leicester City Subs from Zieler, Hamer, Wasilewski, Gray, Fuchs, James, Okazaki, Hernández, Kapustka, King Doubtful None Injured None Suspended None Unavailable Amartey, Mahrez, Slimani (Africa Cup of Nations) Form LDLWDL Discipline Y44 R1 Leading scorers Slimani, Vardy 5
(2) The patients usually had a history of recurrent hamstring "tears."
(3) "With Jozy we've got to see how he now reacts the next couple days with his hamstring and we're full of hope that he comes back still in this tournament – and that's what we kind of work on every day," Klinsmann said.
(4) The manager added that City would also be without Kolo Touré, Abdul Razak and Jack Rodwell, who has a hamstring problem.
(5) Turnbull sat back waiting for the people to elect him | Kristina Keneally Read more We know all too well that things said during the heat of an election campaign can hamstring the work or political success of a government once elected.
(6) Liverpool have 11 players injured, six with hamstring problems of varying degrees, after Philippe Coutinho and Dejan Lovren joined their list in the first half of Tuesday’s Capital One Cup semi-final win at Stoke City .
(7) Ivanovic suffered a hamstring injury while on duty with Serbia.
(8) With Samuel Eto'o still suffering hamstring trouble, Torres or Demba Ba are likely to feature against Stoke City in the late kick-off on Saturday as Chelsea attempt to get their Premier League title challenge back on track.
(9) The EMG from the quadriceps and hamstring muscle groups was recorded and analyzed in three separate experimental procedures in which the knee was stressed.
(10) Patients in both groups used simultaneous contraction of quadriceps femoris and hamstring muscles during a training regimen that consisted of either voluntary exercise or electrical stimulation trials five days a week for a three-week period within the first six postoperative weeks.
(11) The operation of lateral transfer of the medial hamstring muscles is described.
(12) Özil was under par yet again at Bayern Munich in the Champions League last-16 second leg on Tuesday and was taken off at half-time with what was later described as a serious hamstring problem.
(13) If you look at teams around the league I bet you’ll find the number of injuries has definitely increased.” Liverpool’s walking wounded Philippe Coutinho Hamstring Dejan Lovren Hamstring Divock Origi Hamstring Daniel Sturridge Hamstring Martin Skrtel Hamstring Jordan Rossiter Hamstring Mamadou Sakho Knee Jordan Henderson Foot Joe Gomez Knee Danny Ings Knee
(14) So I think he’s been aware of it.” Shaw’s injury explains why Danny Rose of Tottenham Hotspur has been called up as an understudy for Leighton Baines in the left-back role , at a time when Kieran Gibbs is also unavailable because of his own hamstring injury.
(15) For Manchester City, Yaya Toure will return to their starting line-up, having been suspended for their match against Bayern Munich, but Micah Richards will miss today's game after limping off against Bayern with a hamstring injury.
(16) The update, though, is rather less positive about Aaron Ramsey, who was forced off against Leicester just nine minutes into a substitute’s cameo with his third hamstring injury of the season.
(17) Of fifty patients with low-back "strain", twenty-six had tender motor points and twenty-four did not, while forty-nine of fifty patients with radicular signs and symptoms suggesting disc involvement had tender motor points, and the one without such tender points had a hamstring contusion which limited straight leg raising.
(18) We want to go somewhere where people are enthusiastic to have a club like Chelsea.” Asked whether Japan would be the likeliest destination given the new association with Yokohama Rubber, particularly as the club’s pre-season tour will be to the United States, Mourinho said: “I don’t know but that would make some sense.” Scans on Wednesday confirmed Costa has recovered from the hamstring strain sustained in Chelsea’s 3-2 win at Hull just before the international window but he may not be risked from the start against Stoke.
(19) While Sergio Agüero has been known to leave it even later before sparing Manchester City’s blushes in the past, he could hardly have picked a better time to offer a reminder of the devastating qualities that make him the most potent striker in the Premier League when his troublesome hamstrings are not playing up.
(20) The reflex, which was evoked by intense mechanical or thermal stimulation of the foot, was recorded from the ipsilateral hamstring muscles.
(imp. & p. p.) of Hamstring
(1) Negredo missed a great chance to make it six and impress in the absence of the hamstrung Sergio Agüero and under-the-weather Edin Dzeko, but played a pivotal part in turning the game by winning a soft penalty following a slight touch from Amorebieta.
(2) He has plans to change the way social workers are trained (they are too hamstrung by "dogma", too reluctant to take at-risk kids into care).
(3) "During one of the worst housing crises this country has faced, with demand at sky-high levels, councils are being hamstrung," said Mike Jones, chairman of the Local Government Association's (LGA) environment and housing board.
(4) The Brazilian did not appear hamstrung as he samba-ed his way through the post‑match celebrations, the players only returning to the Mandarin Oriental hotel in the city centre just before 3am with the raucous party prolonged thereafter.
(5) As a film-maker, of course, Cox is rather hamstrung by the fact that his first two films - Repo Man and Sid & Nancy - remain his most successful and most enduring.
(6) The EU, hamstrung by its own existential woes, has cooled on expansion into the western Balkans.
(7) In February, hamstrung by protests, congress abandoned the so-called Road Map, a constitutional declaration devised two years ago that gave it the job of supervising Libya's constitution.
(8) Meanwhile, lawyers say the prosecution has partly been hamstrung by an obstreperous police force that would prefer to drag its feet than help incriminate its own leaders.
(9) "And I think he needs to have a little think about things… He's a BBC employee as well, so I'm a bit hamstrung on anything I can say.
(10) King's version of events – that the Bank was hamstrung by inadequate powers – has prevailed but some decisions could surely have been made differently.
(11) Andrew Carmichael Preston, Lancashire • Your report about the ongoing problems with levels of care at Tameside Hospital, Manchester ( Report , 3 July), describes it as being hamstrung by a shortage of both doctors, especially consultants, and nurses in key departments.
(12) On the international negotiating front, however, the Obama administration may be hamstrung by sluggish Senate progress on passing climate legislation.
(13) The question is whether the Bank of England will respond by pumping more money into the economy under its quantitative easing (QE) programme, but it is hamstrung by high inflation.
(14) An employer of 140,000 people, it is one of the mainstays of the Brazilian economy, but its ability to do business has been hamstrung by allegations of corruption, the jailing of its chief executive, Marcelo Odebrecht , and a freeze on new contracts from Petrobras and the government.
(15) He blasts 156 dingers in three seasons in Dallas, although the Rangers suck and are financially hamstrung because of the deal.
(16) Parallel negotiations between the US and Europe, known as the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), are suddenly even more behind: hamstrung by similar opposition as well as complications created by Britain’s vote to leave the European Union.
(17) In such talks, the White House would be hamstrung by the fact that most US sanctions are in the gift of Congress over which President Obama has limited sway.
(18) He is currently out injured, along with the hamstrung Dwight Gayle, while Marouane Chamakh lasted only 45 minutes against Swansea.
(19) He said that the BBC Trust, the corporation's governance and regulatory body, is an expensive, lumbering entity that has found itself hamstrung by the impossible dual role of attempting to regulate and champion the corporation.
(20) The problem right now is they’re hamstrung.” Thompson also released a letter in which the original sponsor of the amendment – Republican Jay Dickey, a former House member – said it was time to reinstate funding for gun violence research.