(1) The IL-8 isolated from each of these cell types is a mixture of two IL-8 polypeptides, one consisting of 72 amino acids (herein called [ser-IL-8]72) and the other 77 amino acids (an N-terminal extended form herein called [ala-IL-8]77).
(2) Several aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases are herein shown to catalyze the AMP----ADP and ADP----ATP exchange reactions (in the absence of tRNAs) by utilizing a transfer of the gamma-phosphate of ATP to reactive AMP and ADP intermediates that are probably the mixed anhydrides of the nucleotide and the corresponding amino acid.
(3) The antibiotic mixture, utilized herein, was more effective in suppressing bacteria contained in samples from patients than a medium containing cycloheximide and chloramphenicol.
(4) The mechanisms responsible for the stimulation of insulin release from the pancreatic beta-cell by hypoglycemic sulfonylureas are reviewed herein.
(5) Alternatively, the data presented herein strongly suggest that diets containing conventional quantities of fat, in which saturated fat is replaced by unsaturated fat and dietary cholesterol reduced, would result in the desired reductions to total and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations without the adverse effects of increased postprandial glucose and insulin concentrations, increased fasting and postprandial total and very-low-density lipoprotein triglyceride concentrations, and decreased fasting high-density lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations.
(6) The technique described herein provides a rapid and accurate means for deriving flow-volume and time domain indices from a volume-time spirogram.
(7) Affinity constants, binding kinetics and serum concentrations of hSHBG from individuals having a 4-band pattern were similar to those obtained in individuals with a 2-band pattern, thus suggesting that the mechanism responsible for the generation of polymorphic variants of hSHBG reported herein did not involve the steroid binding site of the molecule.
(8) We describe herein, a new unstable mutant of the vestigial locus, isolated from a French natural population.
(9) The results obtained by our laboratory using the optimized assay described herein demonstrate that this test can play an important role in the evaluation of an infertile man.
(10) A new case of this lesion, whose acrosyringeal differentiation was underlined by an immunohistological study using antibodies to keratin and involucrin, is reported herein.
(11) Alterations in the status of hormone-sensitive adenylate cyclase components, such as those described herein, may be biochemical mechanism(s) by which adipose tissue shows a decreased lipolytic response during recovery from lactation.
(12) The committee developed positions on seven of these and these positions are presented herein.
(13) Herein, we demonstrate that B10.S (H-2s) and B10 (H-2b) H-2 congenic strains recognize distinct T-cell sites within the p120-140 (a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues 120-140 of HBcAg) sequence defined by p120-131 and p129-140, respectively.
(14) Thirteen malignant diseases were identified in 12 of the 23 patients reported herein.
(15) The aim herein was to use 31P nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy to study the effects of bilirubin on brain energy metabolism in vitro under conditions of normoxia and hypoxia.
(16) Based on the similarities of its domains with various binding elements of other proteins, we suggest that the large fibroblast proteoglycan, herein referred to as versican, may function in cell recognition, possibly by connecting extracellular matrix components and cell surface glycoproteins.
(17) Described herein is a simple, efficient, inexpensive, reproducible, and safe procedure using Peldri II, a proprietary fluorocarbon compound that is solid at room temperature and a liquid above 25 degrees C, as a sublimation dehydrant for processing specimens for SEM.
(18) The technique described herein differs from previously described techniques in the operation upon the donor.
(19) We report herein that one such subpopulation has a high affinity for the human insulin receptor.
(20) The State of California Alzheimer's Disease Diagnostic and Treatment Centers (ADDTC) herein propose criteria for the diagnosis of ischemic vascular dementia (IVD).
(adv.) In which; in which place, thing, time, respect, or the like; -- used relatively.
(adv.) In what; -- used interrogatively.
(1) In smooth muscles there is no organized sarcomere structure wherein the relative movement of myosin filaments and actin filaments has been documented during contraction.
(2) This was true in separate experiments, involving two mammary carcinomata and a 3-methylcholanthrene induced sarcoma, wherein the period of tumour growth in the parent line donor and F(1) hybrid recipient was varied.
(3) This article will review the orthopaedic conditions wherein ankle arthroscopy has utility, the advantages and disadvantages of arthroscopy, and nursing considerations for preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative patient care.
(4) In the present series, microthromboses were obviously more frequent within the capillaries of organs such as the renal glomeruli or plexus chorioideus, wherein significant amounts of water are lost from circulating blood.
(5) Using the mathematical concept of the first and second derivatives, the point of inflexion is obtained, and interpreted as that condition wherein the individual utilizes with maximum efficacy the ingested nitrogen; nitrogen ingestion, which corresponds to that point, is therefore taken as the dietary nitrogen recommendation for the individual.
(6) A hypothesis has been proposed wherein EBV and other stimulants of B and T cells allow productive infection by the retrovirus and spread of HTLV-III throughout the helper T cell populations.
(7) The data support a view of stimulus-response coupling wherein protein kinase C is activated in parallel with the mobilization of arachidonate.
(8) We suggest that these phenomena are analogous to neon color spreading, wherein an interpretation of a transparent surface makes the properties of that surface, which are physically visible only inside the cross, appear to spread over its apparent extent.
(9) By ELISA wherein monoclonal antibodies specific for GPIIb (Tab) and specific for GPIIIa (AP3) were used to capture and hold antigens from a platelet lysate prepared under conditions that generate free GPIIb and GPIIIa, anti-Pena reacted with GPIIIa held by AP3 but not with GPIIb held by Tab.
(10) Two cases are presented wherein cesarean section was performed because of evidence of intrauterine growth retardation and antepartal fetal distress.
(11) We have investigated a remarkable family wherein pancreatic cancer has been documented through three generations, including progeny from two of the progenitor's three marriages.
(12) Selective autoantibody production was also observed in vitro, wherein GVH spleen cells produced high levels of IgG antibodies to total histones and denatured DNA but not to these non-nuclear protein antigens.
(13) We have formulated this calculation using the model-independent description of the angular potential wherein the angular potential is described by an expansion in a complete set of orthonormal functions with the expansion coefficients (or order parameters) determined by time-independent methods (Burghardt, T. P., 1984, Biopolymers, 23:2382-2406).
(14) After formation of lesions, the pattern of urine excretion showed a triphasic response consisting of (i) an immediate diuresis reaching a maximum within 4 days, (ii) an interphase of about 12 days wherein rates of urine flow were normal, and (iii) a final phase of permanent polyuria.
(15) Assay conditions were selected wherein no surface antibodies were detected in 33 control subjects younger than 20 years.
(16) A retrospective epidemiological study was carried out in Gurgaon District of Haryana, wherein data on malaria for a period of more than three decades (1958-1989) obtained from various sources were analysed.
(17) The batch of 147 undergraduate medical students (Group I) were trained in maternal and child health (MCH) by allotting them families study wherein either pregnant lady or a new born child was present.
(18) In order to evaluate the relative importance of these different sources of information, the authors have studied, retrospectively, results of 580 postmortem examinations performed at the Institute of Legal Medicine of Lisbon, wherein toxicologic analyses had been requested.
(19) We obtained mutants wherein a pleiotropic defect, i.e., the lack of induction with mitomycin C, is not restored by the recA+ DNA.
(20) The brain defects which include absent olfactory bulbs and tracts and hypoplastic commissures are compared to those defects seen in cases of alobar holoprosencephaly wherein severe defects of the ethmoid bone are concomitants.