(1) Samples were separated into white and pigmented fractions, and analyzed at SLOWPOKE-Toronto by INAA for the short-lived, isotope-producing elements Br, Ca, Cl, Cu, I, Mg, Mn, Na, S, and Zn.
(2) The Drosophila slowpoke (slo) locus, mutations of which specifically abolish a Ca(2+)-activated K+ current in muscles and neurons, provides an opportunity for molecular characterization of these channels.
(3) Neurons from the mutant slowpoke (slo), which is known to lack a component of the Ca(2+)-activated K+ currents in muscles, exhibited prolonged action potentials associated with defects in the Ca(2+)-activated K+ current.
(4) The Shaker (Sh) and the slowpoke (slo) mutations, respectively, eliminate the voltage-activated fast K+ current (IA) and the Ca2(+)-activated fast K+ current (ICF).
(5) The slowpoke (slo) mutation eliminates ICF specifically.
(6) In contrast, when IC was specifically eliminated with the slowpoke (slo) mutation, there was no delay before excitation, the amplitude of the spikes was significantly increased, and the spike duration was increased by 10-fold.
(7) Scalp-hair samples from 40 multiple sclerosis patients and 42 controls were analyzed by neutron activation analysis, with a SLOWPOKE reactor as the neutron source.
(8) 153Sm-citrate solutions were prepared from enriched 152Sm2O3 which had been irradiated at 10(12)n cm-2 s-1 in the University of Alberta Slowpoke reactor.
(9) Voltage-clamp analysis of Drosophila larval muscle revealed that ether à go-go (eag) mutations affected all identified potassium currents, including those specifically eliminated by mutations in the Shaker or slowpoke gene.
(10) A microcomputer-controlled irradiation and measurement system and a microprocessor-controlled sample changer have been installed at the SLOWPOKE-2 Facility at the Royal Military College of Canada (RMC).
(11) A mutation of Drosophila, slowpoke (slo), specifically abolishes a Ca2+-dependent K+ current, IC, from dorsal longitudinal flight muscles of adult flies.
(n.) A person habitually lazy, idle, and inactive; a drone.
(a.) Sluggish; lazy.
(1) In Proverbs, King Solomon had some advice for those rushing into print with ill-informed opinions: "Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise."