What's the difference between torpidity and torridity?
(n.) Same as Torpidness.
(1) With the cultures of mycoplasmas obtained from the eyes of human patients suffering from sympathetic ophthalmia, it was possible to produce the same symptoms in chickens as were described by the author in 1950 in sympathizing and sympathized human eyes, namely: torpid uveitis and papillitis, which dragged on for months, and affected not only the inoculated right eye, but also, after 3 weeks and more, the untouched left eye.
(2) In the absence of the effect, two latter variants of ulcers should be treated in the same way as primary torpid ulcers.
(3) Torpid facial ulcerations may occur as a result of lesions involving the trigeminal fibers.
(4) However, the slope of the relationship between C' and BM is almost 4-fold greater for normothermic than for torpid animals.
(5) The installation promotes acceleration of the correct diagnosis under the torpid and chronic inflammatory processes in the urethra.
(6) Obese mice were also torpid during the dark phase, whereas lean mice were active and had a normal body temperature at this time.
(7) The torpid type was significantly more frequently observed in patients with subclinical (asymptomatic) hymenolepiasis course than in patients with its clinical manifestation.
(8) The amount of secretion, hydrochloric acid, pepsin, and gastromuco-protein were decreased, the secretory effect being more slowly developed, the torpid secretion type being observed.
(9) On the whole, MBF is a benign condition; however, torpid forms are increasingly reported.
(10) The authors examined 120 patients with schizophrenia (torpid and paroxysmal-progressive) whose disease at different stages of its course was complicated by exogenous impacts (head trauma in 66 cases, neuroinfection in 15, intoxication in 16 and vascular brain disease in 23).
(11) All hormone levels were lower in torpid toads, which were found underground 1 week before the start of the breeding migration, than in active toads in the breeding season, although the levels were higher than those in the other months.
(12) On the basis of these findings a conclusion can be drawn that most of the cases of schizophrenia manifested in old age by the syndrome of involutional paranoid belong to a group of diseases with an early onset, prolonged torpid or latent course, and with increased progression of the process in advanced age.
(13) Because all species underwent seasonal changes in their patterns of hibernation, animals were compared in mid-winter when the duration of euthermic intervals was short and relatively constant and when the duration of torpid intervals was at its longest.
(14) The clinical picture was rather torpid, with a body temperature below 38 degrees C in 42 p. 100 of the cases, which delayed the diagnosis: the mean time interval between onset and diagnosis was 20 days.
(15) The authors consider it desirable that the following forms of this condition be singled out as a nosologic entity: (1) atopic neurodermatitis, a hereditary disease with characteristic immunologic shifts; (2) chronic diffuse neurodermatitis of adults, a disease developed by subjects without atopic anamnesis, characterized by a torpid course; remissions and exacerbations are not season-associated; (3) chronic local neurodermatitis, a disease with a typical morphology in foci of involvement, with prolonged remissions following intensive local therapy.
(16) The torpid process of chronic bronchitis, the two-phase pattern of the disease, dyspnea at 3-4 month intervals, intermissions, edema and failure of complex therapy with antibiotics and cardiac glycosides provided a tentative diagnosis of Legionella pneumonia with affection of the myocardium.
(17) Winter outdoor animals experiencing normal torpidity, however, exhibited reduced ATPase activity by about 50%.
(18) The patients with the left lesion were more characterized by psychastheniclike features, motor inhibition with marked rigidity and emotive poverty, torpidity of affects, hypochondriasis, readiness for overvalued formations.
(19) Herpes type infections in AIDS patients tend to be more severe, generalized and have a torpid evolution.
(20) Body contact with euthermic nestmates warmed torpid marmots passively.
(1) David Moyes' first season in charge of United has been conspicuously torrid one, but a win here tonight would earn him no shortage of goodwill from supporters anxious for portents of better things to come next season.
(2) "I would like to thank our employees for their magnificent response to the torrid market conditions," Rothermere said in the DGMT annual report .
(3) BP has had endured a torrid time since the Deepwater Horizon accident, which killed 11 oil rig workers and caused the biggest oil spill in US history.
(4) Given that BG Group is one of the world leaders in LNG and recently completed a $20bn facility in Australia, the acquisition here could well draw a line under a turbulent time for BG Group, which has struggled with management uncertainty over the last 18 months, and in the process given shareholders a rather torrid time.
(5) The investment banking division, which causes much of the controversy over bonuses at the end of the year, has had a torrid time but remained profitable and Hester said it had been operating in an "incredibly treacherous environment".
(6) Stephen Hester, chief executive of RBS, is expected to insist that the bank is on track to resume dividends in 2014 – for the first time since the banking crisis – despite the torrid performance last year.
(7) Morgan, who endured a torrid evening, was also involved in Liverpool’s second goal, when he succeeded only in deflecting Sterling’s cross into the path of Gerrard, who was perfectly placed to stroke a first-time shot from 12 yards into the corner.
(8) Since then, our man in Berlin has had to endure a torrid time with the World's Greatest Orchestra™.
(9) Now, you never apologise for wins in MLB or in any league, but during that torrid stretch of 50 games, just 16 were against winning teams.
(10) The National Farmers Union is taking legal advice to try to get compensation for the region's farmers but regional director Melanie Squires said they were having a "torrid time" making any headway with the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
(11) The difference between the torrid tropics and the icy Arctic governs weather patterns in the northern hemisphere.
(12) They'd had a torrid opening half as the Eagles harried them from the opening whistle, with the visitors even coming close to opening the scoring - but as the half, then the game, wore on, the Goat's neat possession game began to wear down the Eagles.
(13) The noticeable increase in the party’s overall share of the vote and the failure of Ukip to break through in a part of the north-west seen by Nigel Farage as fertile territory gives Corbyn a chance to regroup after a torrid two weeks.
(14) Tesco needs to change its culture and reinvent its brand, the company’s new chief executive, Dave Lewis, has told employees after a torrid week for the supermarket chain.
(15) And this time there is a list of failed promises – on Guantánamo, universal healthcare – to add to the attack, while the personal claims seem to be yet more torrid (this week's most bizarre is that "Obama's mother was a porn star").
(16) Martin Slaney, GFT "Official confirmation of our somewhat inevitable recessionary status caps off a torrid week for UK plc.
(17) The ASX200 share index experienced a torrid day on Tuesday, falling 2.12% to close at 5096, after two surveys showed China’s huge manufacturing sector was contracting.
(18) Especially the fans and atmosphere at GP.” Dijkhuizen had endured a torrid start to the season, which involved a 4-0 home defeat by Oxford in the Capital One Cup, the record-signing Andreas Bjelland being ruled out for the whole campaign and a poor run of results in the league.
(19) Yet despite many objective observers believing Pardew did an excellent job in often difficult circumstances on Tyneside before leaving for Palace after Christmas, he became a hate figure for many Newcastle fans and withstood months of abuse during a torrid 2014.
(20) His positioning was terrible, his reaction too slow Kyle Walker 8 Very impressive when bombarding forward, teaming up well with Lallana and giving Georgi Schennikov a torrid time.