(conj.) Considering that; it being the case that; since; -- used to introduce a preamble which is the basis of declarations, affirmations, commands, requests, or like, that follow.
(conj.) When in fact; while on the contrary; the case being in truth that; although; -- implying opposition to something that precedes; or implying recognition of facts, sometimes followed by a different statement, and sometimes by inferences or something consequent.
(1) This trend appeared to reverse itself in the low dose animals after 3 hr, whereas in the high dose group, cardiac output continued to decline.
(2) Patients with papillary carcinoma with a good cell-mediated immune response occurred with much lower infiltration of the tumor boundary with lymphocyte whereas the follicular carcinoma less cell-mediated immunity was associated with dense lymphocytic infiltration, suggesting the biological relevance of lymphocytic infiltration may be different for the two histologic variants.
(3) There was appreciable variation in toothbrush wear among subjects, some reducing their brush to a poor state in 2 weeks whereas with others the brush was rated as "good" after 10 weeks.
(4) The most actively proliferating region of the excurrent duct system is zone 3 of the epididymis, whereas the least active region is the ductuli efferentes.
(5) The newborn with critical AS typically presents with severe cardiac failure and the infant with moderate failure, whereas children may be asymptomatic.
(6) F(420) is photolabile aerobically in neutral and basic solutions, whereas the acid-stable chromophore is not photolabile under these conditions.
(7) Application of 40 microM NiCl2 reversibly blocked It while leaving Is intact, whereas 20 microM CdCl2 reversibly blocked Is, but not It.
(8) When micF was cloned into a high-copy-number plasmid it repressed ompF gene expression, whereas when cloned into a low-copy-number plasmid it did not.
(9) Ethanol and L-ethionine induce acute steatosis without necrosis, whereas azaserine, carbon tetrachloride, and D-galactosamine are known to produce steatosis with varying degrees of hepatic necrosis.
(10) Whereas strain Ga-1 was practically avirulent for mice, strain KL-1 produced death by 21 days in 50% of the mice inoculated.
(11) Eighty-two per cent of patients with falciparum malaria had recently returned from Africa whereas 82% with vivax malaria had visited Asia.
(12) The results indicate that OA-bearing macrophages primed T cells and generated helper T cells, whereas the culture of normal lymphocytes with soluble OA in the absence of macrophages generated suppressor T cells.
(13) After midazolam infusion, there was a 50% decrease in amplitude of P3 in response to target tones (P less than 0.006), whereas N3 latency increased by 40 ms (P less than 0.05).
(14) Maximal yields of lipid and aflatoxin were obtained with 30% glucose, whereas mold growth, expressed as dry weight, was maximal when the medium contained 10% glucose.
(15) Epidermal growth factor reduced plating efficiency by about 50% for A431 cells in different cell cycle phases whereas a slight increase in plating efficiency was seen for SiHa cells.
(16) Peak Expiratory Flow and Forced Expiratory Mean Flows in the ranges 0-25%, 25-50% and 50-75% of Forced Vital Capacity were significantly reduced in animals exposed to gasoline exhaust fumes, whereas the group exposed to ethanol exhaust fumes did not differ from the control group.
(17) When the eye was dissected into anterior uveal, scleral, and retinal complexes, prostaglandin D2 was formed in the highest degree in all the complexes, whereas prostaglandin E2 and F2 alpha formation was specific to given ocular regions.
(18) This mAb inhibited monocyte binding of both soluble FITC-labeled IgA and IgA-coated E, whereas it did not inhibit IgG binding.
(19) Chloroquine induced large cytoplasmic vacuoles, whereas the other drugs (quinacrine, 4,4'-diethylaminoethoxyhexestrol, chlorphentermine, iprindole, 1-chloro-amitriptyline, clomipramine) caused formation of lamellated or crystalloid inclusions as usually seen in drug-induced lipidosis.
(20) hypoglossal nucleus), whereas in other areas the angiotensinogen gene was expressed only in a certain population of glial cells.
(adv. & conj.) For which reason; so; -- used relatively.
(adv. & conj.) For what reason; why; -- used interrogatively.
(n.) the reason why.
(1) Treatment proved effective wherefore the authors hope that further studies will be carried out in order to increase our knowledge of the modulation and regulation of the immune response, a primary element in the management of these disorders which is at present only experimental.
(2) All the whys and wherefores are discussed and some conclusions reached.
(3) It argues that too little attention has been paid to the how and why, the what and the wherefore of evaluation.
(4) The one that never did me the courtesy of explaining the whys and wherefores.
(5) Coral graveyard: the aftermath of bleaching on the Great Barrier Reef – in pictures Read more I am struggling to get my head around the whys and wherefores of the complacency and lack of logical reasoning on this issue.
(6) Phenotypic characteristics that could differentiate between the two main DNA relatedness groups of F. meningosepticum were not discovered, wherefore a subdivision of the present species into two species cannot be recommended.
(7) 9 patients did not show a clear restriction of the clearance, wherefore in these cases a control examination was not necessary.
(8) People complain that there are no laughs in the Bible (actually Sarah, the wife of Abraham, fails to conceal her amusement when she's told that she's about to conceive, at the age of 90: "Therefore Sarah laughed within herself… And the Lord said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sara laugh…"), but let the rabbis loose on it, and it's practically standup material.
(9) Whatever the whys and wherefores, the bottom line is that he was dropped for the glamour tie against Bayern and it would have hurt, particularly as his replacement was the untested 21-year-old Yaya Sanogo.
(10) With the help of the isotope renography could be proved that the treatment with alpha-methyldopa causes no reduction of the blood supply of the kidneys, wherefore alpha-methyldopa can be successfully applied in patients with hypertension and renal failure.
(11) Anderson said recently that the whys and wherefores of the Golden Fang aren’t important; it’s a metaphor for the Man, the system, the evil empire, whatever anti-fun military-industrial complex rules the day.
(12) Till now there is no coherent idea about their pathogenesis, wherefore in the individual case wide differences exist in the diagnosis, treatment and in the expert opinion.
(13) The clinical estimation of the "Debris Layer" forming in the course of expanding the root channel is not entirely uniform in the literature wherefore also the question of its removal is the subject of dispute.