(conj.) Considering that; it being the case that; since; -- used to introduce a preamble which is the basis of declarations, affirmations, commands, requests, or like, that follow.
(conj.) When in fact; while on the contrary; the case being in truth that; although; -- implying opposition to something that precedes; or implying recognition of facts, sometimes followed by a different statement, and sometimes by inferences or something consequent.
(1) This trend appeared to reverse itself in the low dose animals after 3 hr, whereas in the high dose group, cardiac output continued to decline.
(2) Patients with papillary carcinoma with a good cell-mediated immune response occurred with much lower infiltration of the tumor boundary with lymphocyte whereas the follicular carcinoma less cell-mediated immunity was associated with dense lymphocytic infiltration, suggesting the biological relevance of lymphocytic infiltration may be different for the two histologic variants.
(3) There was appreciable variation in toothbrush wear among subjects, some reducing their brush to a poor state in 2 weeks whereas with others the brush was rated as "good" after 10 weeks.
(4) The most actively proliferating region of the excurrent duct system is zone 3 of the epididymis, whereas the least active region is the ductuli efferentes.
(5) The newborn with critical AS typically presents with severe cardiac failure and the infant with moderate failure, whereas children may be asymptomatic.
(6) F(420) is photolabile aerobically in neutral and basic solutions, whereas the acid-stable chromophore is not photolabile under these conditions.
(7) Application of 40 microM NiCl2 reversibly blocked It while leaving Is intact, whereas 20 microM CdCl2 reversibly blocked Is, but not It.
(8) When micF was cloned into a high-copy-number plasmid it repressed ompF gene expression, whereas when cloned into a low-copy-number plasmid it did not.
(9) Ethanol and L-ethionine induce acute steatosis without necrosis, whereas azaserine, carbon tetrachloride, and D-galactosamine are known to produce steatosis with varying degrees of hepatic necrosis.
(10) Whereas strain Ga-1 was practically avirulent for mice, strain KL-1 produced death by 21 days in 50% of the mice inoculated.
(11) Eighty-two per cent of patients with falciparum malaria had recently returned from Africa whereas 82% with vivax malaria had visited Asia.
(12) The results indicate that OA-bearing macrophages primed T cells and generated helper T cells, whereas the culture of normal lymphocytes with soluble OA in the absence of macrophages generated suppressor T cells.
(13) After midazolam infusion, there was a 50% decrease in amplitude of P3 in response to target tones (P less than 0.006), whereas N3 latency increased by 40 ms (P less than 0.05).
(14) Maximal yields of lipid and aflatoxin were obtained with 30% glucose, whereas mold growth, expressed as dry weight, was maximal when the medium contained 10% glucose.
(15) Epidermal growth factor reduced plating efficiency by about 50% for A431 cells in different cell cycle phases whereas a slight increase in plating efficiency was seen for SiHa cells.
(16) Peak Expiratory Flow and Forced Expiratory Mean Flows in the ranges 0-25%, 25-50% and 50-75% of Forced Vital Capacity were significantly reduced in animals exposed to gasoline exhaust fumes, whereas the group exposed to ethanol exhaust fumes did not differ from the control group.
(17) When the eye was dissected into anterior uveal, scleral, and retinal complexes, prostaglandin D2 was formed in the highest degree in all the complexes, whereas prostaglandin E2 and F2 alpha formation was specific to given ocular regions.
(18) This mAb inhibited monocyte binding of both soluble FITC-labeled IgA and IgA-coated E, whereas it did not inhibit IgG binding.
(19) Chloroquine induced large cytoplasmic vacuoles, whereas the other drugs (quinacrine, 4,4'-diethylaminoethoxyhexestrol, chlorphentermine, iprindole, 1-chloro-amitriptyline, clomipramine) caused formation of lamellated or crystalloid inclusions as usually seen in drug-induced lipidosis.
(20) hypoglossal nucleus), whereas in other areas the angiotensinogen gene was expressed only in a certain population of glial cells.
(adv.) In which; in which place, thing, time, respect, or the like; -- used relatively.
(adv.) In what; -- used interrogatively.
(1) In smooth muscles there is no organized sarcomere structure wherein the relative movement of myosin filaments and actin filaments has been documented during contraction.
(2) This was true in separate experiments, involving two mammary carcinomata and a 3-methylcholanthrene induced sarcoma, wherein the period of tumour growth in the parent line donor and F(1) hybrid recipient was varied.
(3) This article will review the orthopaedic conditions wherein ankle arthroscopy has utility, the advantages and disadvantages of arthroscopy, and nursing considerations for preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative patient care.
(4) In the present series, microthromboses were obviously more frequent within the capillaries of organs such as the renal glomeruli or plexus chorioideus, wherein significant amounts of water are lost from circulating blood.
(5) Using the mathematical concept of the first and second derivatives, the point of inflexion is obtained, and interpreted as that condition wherein the individual utilizes with maximum efficacy the ingested nitrogen; nitrogen ingestion, which corresponds to that point, is therefore taken as the dietary nitrogen recommendation for the individual.
(6) A hypothesis has been proposed wherein EBV and other stimulants of B and T cells allow productive infection by the retrovirus and spread of HTLV-III throughout the helper T cell populations.
(7) The data support a view of stimulus-response coupling wherein protein kinase C is activated in parallel with the mobilization of arachidonate.
(8) We suggest that these phenomena are analogous to neon color spreading, wherein an interpretation of a transparent surface makes the properties of that surface, which are physically visible only inside the cross, appear to spread over its apparent extent.
(9) By ELISA wherein monoclonal antibodies specific for GPIIb (Tab) and specific for GPIIIa (AP3) were used to capture and hold antigens from a platelet lysate prepared under conditions that generate free GPIIb and GPIIIa, anti-Pena reacted with GPIIIa held by AP3 but not with GPIIb held by Tab.
(10) Two cases are presented wherein cesarean section was performed because of evidence of intrauterine growth retardation and antepartal fetal distress.
(11) We have investigated a remarkable family wherein pancreatic cancer has been documented through three generations, including progeny from two of the progenitor's three marriages.
(12) Selective autoantibody production was also observed in vitro, wherein GVH spleen cells produced high levels of IgG antibodies to total histones and denatured DNA but not to these non-nuclear protein antigens.
(13) We have formulated this calculation using the model-independent description of the angular potential wherein the angular potential is described by an expansion in a complete set of orthonormal functions with the expansion coefficients (or order parameters) determined by time-independent methods (Burghardt, T. P., 1984, Biopolymers, 23:2382-2406).
(14) After formation of lesions, the pattern of urine excretion showed a triphasic response consisting of (i) an immediate diuresis reaching a maximum within 4 days, (ii) an interphase of about 12 days wherein rates of urine flow were normal, and (iii) a final phase of permanent polyuria.
(15) Assay conditions were selected wherein no surface antibodies were detected in 33 control subjects younger than 20 years.
(16) A retrospective epidemiological study was carried out in Gurgaon District of Haryana, wherein data on malaria for a period of more than three decades (1958-1989) obtained from various sources were analysed.
(17) The batch of 147 undergraduate medical students (Group I) were trained in maternal and child health (MCH) by allotting them families study wherein either pregnant lady or a new born child was present.
(18) In order to evaluate the relative importance of these different sources of information, the authors have studied, retrospectively, results of 580 postmortem examinations performed at the Institute of Legal Medicine of Lisbon, wherein toxicologic analyses had been requested.
(19) We obtained mutants wherein a pleiotropic defect, i.e., the lack of induction with mitomycin C, is not restored by the recA+ DNA.
(20) The brain defects which include absent olfactory bulbs and tracts and hypoplastic commissures are compared to those defects seen in cases of alobar holoprosencephaly wherein severe defects of the ethmoid bone are concomitants.