(conj.) Considering that; it being the case that; since; -- used to introduce a preamble which is the basis of declarations, affirmations, commands, requests, or like, that follow.
(conj.) When in fact; while on the contrary; the case being in truth that; although; -- implying opposition to something that precedes; or implying recognition of facts, sometimes followed by a different statement, and sometimes by inferences or something consequent.
(1) This trend appeared to reverse itself in the low dose animals after 3 hr, whereas in the high dose group, cardiac output continued to decline.
(2) Patients with papillary carcinoma with a good cell-mediated immune response occurred with much lower infiltration of the tumor boundary with lymphocyte whereas the follicular carcinoma less cell-mediated immunity was associated with dense lymphocytic infiltration, suggesting the biological relevance of lymphocytic infiltration may be different for the two histologic variants.
(3) There was appreciable variation in toothbrush wear among subjects, some reducing their brush to a poor state in 2 weeks whereas with others the brush was rated as "good" after 10 weeks.
(4) The most actively proliferating region of the excurrent duct system is zone 3 of the epididymis, whereas the least active region is the ductuli efferentes.
(5) The newborn with critical AS typically presents with severe cardiac failure and the infant with moderate failure, whereas children may be asymptomatic.
(6) F(420) is photolabile aerobically in neutral and basic solutions, whereas the acid-stable chromophore is not photolabile under these conditions.
(7) Application of 40 microM NiCl2 reversibly blocked It while leaving Is intact, whereas 20 microM CdCl2 reversibly blocked Is, but not It.
(8) When micF was cloned into a high-copy-number plasmid it repressed ompF gene expression, whereas when cloned into a low-copy-number plasmid it did not.
(9) Ethanol and L-ethionine induce acute steatosis without necrosis, whereas azaserine, carbon tetrachloride, and D-galactosamine are known to produce steatosis with varying degrees of hepatic necrosis.
(10) Whereas strain Ga-1 was practically avirulent for mice, strain KL-1 produced death by 21 days in 50% of the mice inoculated.
(11) Eighty-two per cent of patients with falciparum malaria had recently returned from Africa whereas 82% with vivax malaria had visited Asia.
(12) The results indicate that OA-bearing macrophages primed T cells and generated helper T cells, whereas the culture of normal lymphocytes with soluble OA in the absence of macrophages generated suppressor T cells.
(13) After midazolam infusion, there was a 50% decrease in amplitude of P3 in response to target tones (P less than 0.006), whereas N3 latency increased by 40 ms (P less than 0.05).
(14) Maximal yields of lipid and aflatoxin were obtained with 30% glucose, whereas mold growth, expressed as dry weight, was maximal when the medium contained 10% glucose.
(15) Epidermal growth factor reduced plating efficiency by about 50% for A431 cells in different cell cycle phases whereas a slight increase in plating efficiency was seen for SiHa cells.
(16) Peak Expiratory Flow and Forced Expiratory Mean Flows in the ranges 0-25%, 25-50% and 50-75% of Forced Vital Capacity were significantly reduced in animals exposed to gasoline exhaust fumes, whereas the group exposed to ethanol exhaust fumes did not differ from the control group.
(17) When the eye was dissected into anterior uveal, scleral, and retinal complexes, prostaglandin D2 was formed in the highest degree in all the complexes, whereas prostaglandin E2 and F2 alpha formation was specific to given ocular regions.
(18) This mAb inhibited monocyte binding of both soluble FITC-labeled IgA and IgA-coated E, whereas it did not inhibit IgG binding.
(19) Chloroquine induced large cytoplasmic vacuoles, whereas the other drugs (quinacrine, 4,4'-diethylaminoethoxyhexestrol, chlorphentermine, iprindole, 1-chloro-amitriptyline, clomipramine) caused formation of lamellated or crystalloid inclusions as usually seen in drug-induced lipidosis.
(20) hypoglossal nucleus), whereas in other areas the angiotensinogen gene was expressed only in a certain population of glial cells.
(adv.) Upon which; in consequence of which; after which.
(1) The animals were killed after an abstinence of 4 weeks, whereupon the concentrations of noradrenaline (NA), dopamine (DA), serotonin (5-HT) and 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid (5-HIAA) were determined in the frontal cortex.
(2) Whereupon Madonna's PR guy Trevor Neilson (who doesn't seem to be too great at his job judging by the way in which a routine baby-hugging photo-op has descended into a hilarious international shitshow) hit back, giving quotes to The Globe and Mail reporter Geoffrey York.
(3) The hormone-receptor complexes are then translocated to the nucleus, in an "activated" form, whereupon they are bound to the target cell genome.
(4) Thresholds for the response are near 0.05 mA and the stimulus intensity curve is linear to 0.4 mA whereupon the pressure rise and tachycardia begin to approach a plateau value.
(5) In three patients, carbamazepine was withdrawn, whereupon the deposits disappeared in two and decreased in the third, who changed to another drug.
(6) The first of them came after 90 seconds, when, taking a free kick from the edge of the penalty box, his feint drew Johnston aside in the wall, whereupon Hidegkuti shot through the gap, to beat Gil Merrick, an erratic keeper that day.
(7) After observing a couple of weeks of bickering over who would get what time, we threatened to remove them again, whereupon the boys negotiated with each other and came up with an equitable time-sharing agreement.
(8) The scheme is as follows; phosphatidylcholine associated with high density lipoproteins exchanges with the erythrocyte membrane phospholipids, the neutral phospholipids undergo two dimensional translational and rotational motion and also flip between each layer of the bilayer thus becoming exposed to an intracellularly-located phospholipase-D, whereupon the choline is hydrolysed and released into the intracellular milieu.
(9) Nitrogen balances were not significantly different unless analysis of covariance was used to adjust for the nitrogen intakes, whereupon all treatment groups showed improved balance, especially the animals treated with the low IGF-I dose and des(1-3)IGF-I (both P less than 0.01).
(10) The ether phospholipid platelet-activating factor (PAF) has been generally assumed to be released into the extracellular environment by the cells of origin, whereupon it effects its well-known mediator functions.
(11) Whereupon Gore uttered the immortal phrase: "But what about the Dingle-Norwood bill?"
(12) Severe leucopenia was observed in 2 patients, whereupon therapy was definitely withdrawn.
(13) Whereupon Gove went back into his customary role of baiting Hunt for making up Labour's education policy on the hoof.
(14) We report a case of a 20-year-ol women whose pineal region tumour was irradiated, whereupon a unilateral low-frequency resting and intention tremor developed.
(15) In the disk, the region proximal to the RNA binding site is in a random coil until the RNA binds, whereupon the 24 residues involved build a well-defined structure, thereby encapsulating the RNA.
(16) The latter increased again rapidly to rates above normal until antigen expression reached normal level, whereupon the protein synthesis rate decreased to normal.
(17) The temperature of dispersions caused no increase in CF release until the gel-to-liquid crystalline transition temperature was exceeded (54.6 degrees C), whereupon a 20% increase in leakage was observed after 80 min of nebulization.
(18) The key step in the preparation of 15 was the epoxide-ring opening of methyl 2,3-anhydro-4-O-benzyl-6-deoxy-alpha-L-gulopyranoside with KHF2 in ethylene glycol, whereupon 2-fluoro-alpha-L-idopyranoside was obtained.
(19) It is concluded that inhibition of thrombin adsorbed on the heparin surface occurs as follows: Added AT adheres to high affinity heparin fragments on the surface whereupon adsorbed thrombin migrates in the hydrophilic heparin coating towards the reaction site of AT and becomes inhibited.
(20) They made the second round for the first time in 2002, whereupon a combined South Korea & Matchday Officials outfit breezed past Italy and Spain to make the semis.