(adv.) In which; in which place, thing, time, respect, or the like; -- used relatively.
(adv.) In what; -- used interrogatively.
(1) In smooth muscles there is no organized sarcomere structure wherein the relative movement of myosin filaments and actin filaments has been documented during contraction.
(2) This was true in separate experiments, involving two mammary carcinomata and a 3-methylcholanthrene induced sarcoma, wherein the period of tumour growth in the parent line donor and F(1) hybrid recipient was varied.
(3) This article will review the orthopaedic conditions wherein ankle arthroscopy has utility, the advantages and disadvantages of arthroscopy, and nursing considerations for preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative patient care.
(4) In the present series, microthromboses were obviously more frequent within the capillaries of organs such as the renal glomeruli or plexus chorioideus, wherein significant amounts of water are lost from circulating blood.
(5) Using the mathematical concept of the first and second derivatives, the point of inflexion is obtained, and interpreted as that condition wherein the individual utilizes with maximum efficacy the ingested nitrogen; nitrogen ingestion, which corresponds to that point, is therefore taken as the dietary nitrogen recommendation for the individual.
(6) A hypothesis has been proposed wherein EBV and other stimulants of B and T cells allow productive infection by the retrovirus and spread of HTLV-III throughout the helper T cell populations.
(7) The data support a view of stimulus-response coupling wherein protein kinase C is activated in parallel with the mobilization of arachidonate.
(8) We suggest that these phenomena are analogous to neon color spreading, wherein an interpretation of a transparent surface makes the properties of that surface, which are physically visible only inside the cross, appear to spread over its apparent extent.
(9) By ELISA wherein monoclonal antibodies specific for GPIIb (Tab) and specific for GPIIIa (AP3) were used to capture and hold antigens from a platelet lysate prepared under conditions that generate free GPIIb and GPIIIa, anti-Pena reacted with GPIIIa held by AP3 but not with GPIIb held by Tab.
(10) Two cases are presented wherein cesarean section was performed because of evidence of intrauterine growth retardation and antepartal fetal distress.
(11) We have investigated a remarkable family wherein pancreatic cancer has been documented through three generations, including progeny from two of the progenitor's three marriages.
(12) Selective autoantibody production was also observed in vitro, wherein GVH spleen cells produced high levels of IgG antibodies to total histones and denatured DNA but not to these non-nuclear protein antigens.
(13) We have formulated this calculation using the model-independent description of the angular potential wherein the angular potential is described by an expansion in a complete set of orthonormal functions with the expansion coefficients (or order parameters) determined by time-independent methods (Burghardt, T. P., 1984, Biopolymers, 23:2382-2406).
(14) After formation of lesions, the pattern of urine excretion showed a triphasic response consisting of (i) an immediate diuresis reaching a maximum within 4 days, (ii) an interphase of about 12 days wherein rates of urine flow were normal, and (iii) a final phase of permanent polyuria.
(15) Assay conditions were selected wherein no surface antibodies were detected in 33 control subjects younger than 20 years.
(16) A retrospective epidemiological study was carried out in Gurgaon District of Haryana, wherein data on malaria for a period of more than three decades (1958-1989) obtained from various sources were analysed.
(17) The batch of 147 undergraduate medical students (Group I) were trained in maternal and child health (MCH) by allotting them families study wherein either pregnant lady or a new born child was present.
(18) In order to evaluate the relative importance of these different sources of information, the authors have studied, retrospectively, results of 580 postmortem examinations performed at the Institute of Legal Medicine of Lisbon, wherein toxicologic analyses had been requested.
(19) We obtained mutants wherein a pleiotropic defect, i.e., the lack of induction with mitomycin C, is not restored by the recA+ DNA.
(20) The brain defects which include absent olfactory bulbs and tracts and hypoplastic commissures are compared to those defects seen in cases of alobar holoprosencephaly wherein severe defects of the ethmoid bone are concomitants.
(adv.) Upon which; in consequence of which; after which.
(1) The animals were killed after an abstinence of 4 weeks, whereupon the concentrations of noradrenaline (NA), dopamine (DA), serotonin (5-HT) and 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid (5-HIAA) were determined in the frontal cortex.
(2) Whereupon Madonna's PR guy Trevor Neilson (who doesn't seem to be too great at his job judging by the way in which a routine baby-hugging photo-op has descended into a hilarious international shitshow) hit back, giving quotes to The Globe and Mail reporter Geoffrey York.
(3) The hormone-receptor complexes are then translocated to the nucleus, in an "activated" form, whereupon they are bound to the target cell genome.
(4) Thresholds for the response are near 0.05 mA and the stimulus intensity curve is linear to 0.4 mA whereupon the pressure rise and tachycardia begin to approach a plateau value.
(5) In three patients, carbamazepine was withdrawn, whereupon the deposits disappeared in two and decreased in the third, who changed to another drug.
(6) The first of them came after 90 seconds, when, taking a free kick from the edge of the penalty box, his feint drew Johnston aside in the wall, whereupon Hidegkuti shot through the gap, to beat Gil Merrick, an erratic keeper that day.
(7) After observing a couple of weeks of bickering over who would get what time, we threatened to remove them again, whereupon the boys negotiated with each other and came up with an equitable time-sharing agreement.
(8) The scheme is as follows; phosphatidylcholine associated with high density lipoproteins exchanges with the erythrocyte membrane phospholipids, the neutral phospholipids undergo two dimensional translational and rotational motion and also flip between each layer of the bilayer thus becoming exposed to an intracellularly-located phospholipase-D, whereupon the choline is hydrolysed and released into the intracellular milieu.
(9) Nitrogen balances were not significantly different unless analysis of covariance was used to adjust for the nitrogen intakes, whereupon all treatment groups showed improved balance, especially the animals treated with the low IGF-I dose and des(1-3)IGF-I (both P less than 0.01).
(10) The ether phospholipid platelet-activating factor (PAF) has been generally assumed to be released into the extracellular environment by the cells of origin, whereupon it effects its well-known mediator functions.
(11) Whereupon Gore uttered the immortal phrase: "But what about the Dingle-Norwood bill?"
(12) Severe leucopenia was observed in 2 patients, whereupon therapy was definitely withdrawn.
(13) Whereupon Gove went back into his customary role of baiting Hunt for making up Labour's education policy on the hoof.
(14) We report a case of a 20-year-ol women whose pineal region tumour was irradiated, whereupon a unilateral low-frequency resting and intention tremor developed.
(15) In the disk, the region proximal to the RNA binding site is in a random coil until the RNA binds, whereupon the 24 residues involved build a well-defined structure, thereby encapsulating the RNA.
(16) The latter increased again rapidly to rates above normal until antigen expression reached normal level, whereupon the protein synthesis rate decreased to normal.
(17) The temperature of dispersions caused no increase in CF release until the gel-to-liquid crystalline transition temperature was exceeded (54.6 degrees C), whereupon a 20% increase in leakage was observed after 80 min of nebulization.
(18) The key step in the preparation of 15 was the epoxide-ring opening of methyl 2,3-anhydro-4-O-benzyl-6-deoxy-alpha-L-gulopyranoside with KHF2 in ethylene glycol, whereupon 2-fluoro-alpha-L-idopyranoside was obtained.
(19) It is concluded that inhibition of thrombin adsorbed on the heparin surface occurs as follows: Added AT adheres to high affinity heparin fragments on the surface whereupon adsorbed thrombin migrates in the hydrophilic heparin coating towards the reaction site of AT and becomes inhibited.
(20) They made the second round for the first time in 2002, whereupon a combined South Korea & Matchday Officials outfit breezed past Italy and Spain to make the semis.