(n.) A piece of pasteboard, or thick paper, blank or prepared for various uses; as, a playing card; a visiting card; a card of invitation; pl. a game played with cards.
(n.) A published note, containing a brief statement, explanation, request, expression of thanks, or the like; as, to put a card in the newspapers. Also, a printed programme, and (fig.), an attraction or inducement; as, this will be a good card for the last day of the fair.
(n.) A paper on which the points of the compass are marked; the dial or face of the mariner's compass.
(n.) A perforated pasteboard or sheet-metal plate for warp threads, making part of the Jacquard apparatus of a loom. See Jacquard.
(n.) An indicator card. See under Indicator.
(v. i.) To play at cards; to game.
(n.) An instrument for disentangling and arranging the fibers of cotton, wool, flax, etc.; or for cleaning and smoothing the hair of animals; -- usually consisting of bent wire teeth set closely in rows in a thick piece of leather fastened to a back.
(n.) A roll or sliver of fiber (as of wool) delivered from a carding machine.
(v. t.) To comb with a card; to cleanse or disentangle by carding; as, to card wool; to card a horse.
(v. t.) To clean or clear, as if by using a card.
(v. t.) To mix or mingle, as with an inferior or weaker article.
(1) We are the generation who saw the war,, who ate bread received with ration cards.
(2) For this purpose a test consisting of 135 picture cards was devised.
(3) For retrospective action to be taken, and an FA charge to follow, the decision of the panel must be unanimous.” The match between the sides ended in acrimony and two City red cards.
(4) Some parents are blessed with a soul that lights up every time their little precious brings them a carefully crafted portrait or home-made greetings card.
(5) This defeat, though, is hardly a good calling card for the main job.
(6) Subgingival plaque was sampled and the presence or absence of the above mentioned bacteria assessed with BANA reagent cards (Perio Scan).
(7) "It will strike consumers as unfair that whilst the company is still trading, they are unable to use gift cards and vouchers," he said.
(8) We don't have ID cards; we should not be stopped by officialdom and have to prove who we are."
(9) Paul Doyle Kick-off Sunday midday Venue St Mary’s Stadium Last season Southampton 2 Leicester City 2 Live Sky Sports 1 Referee Michael Oliver This season G 18, Y 60, R 1, 3.44 cards per game Odds H 5-6 A 4-1 D 5-2 Southampton Subs from Taylor, Martina, Stephens, Davis, Rodriguez, Sims, Ward-Prowse Doubtful Bertrand, Davis, Van Dijk (all match fitness) Injured Boufal (knee, Jan), Hesketh (ankle, Feb), Targett (hamstring, Feb), Austin (shoulder, Mar), Pied (knee, Jun), Gardos (knee, unknown) Suspended None Form DWLLLL Discipline Y37 R2 Leading scorer Austin 6 Leicester City Subs from Zieler, Hamer, Wasilewski, Gray, Fuchs, James, Okazaki, Hernández, Kapustka, King Doubtful None Injured None Suspended None Unavailable Amartey, Mahrez, Slimani (Africa Cup of Nations) Form LDLWDL Discipline Y44 R1 Leading scorers Slimani, Vardy 5
(10) I haven't had to face anyone like the man who threatened to call the police when he decided his card had been cloned after sharing three bottles of wine with his wife, or the drunk woman who became violent and announced that she was a solicitor who was going to get this fucking place shut down – two customers Andrew had to deal with on the same night.
(11) Unless you are part of some Unite-esque scheme to join up as part of a grand revolutionary plan, why would you bother shelling out for a membership card?
(12) But he lost much of his earnings betting on cards and horses, and he has readily admitted that it was losses of up to £750,000 a night that compelled him to make some of his worst films.
(13) On Friday, Sollecito had his passport taken away and his ID card stamped to show he must not leave Italy, according to police.
(14) The addition of the lower dose of nifedipine to atenolol did not significantly alter the weekly consumption of glyceryl trinitrate or the mean number of anginal attacks as assessed by diary cards.
(15) He wants a weaker "red card" system when a number of states object to a Brussels measure.
(16) In a sample of families of nonschizophrenic outpatient adolescents, a manual for scoring such deviance on stories told for seven TAT cards was developed.
(17) Jeremain Lens, signed from Dynamo Kyiv, was fortunate to escape dismissal for a second yellow card, while Yann M’Vila, on loan from Rubin Kazan, followed his headbutt in the reserves by raising arms to Graham Dorrans during an unpunished, but unwise, bout of push ’n’ shove.
(18) He'd later carry this over into Netflix's House Of Cards but before that, TV had already begun to emulate this new, bleak, antiheroic maturity with a cycle of dark, longform, acclaimed dramas, commencing with The Sopranos and culminating in Breaking Bad .
(19) The debit card doubles as a Clubcard, and customers will be able to earn points wherever they use it.
(20) A film sequel to 2013’s Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa is also on the cards.
(a.) Preceding in the order of time; former; antecedent; anterior; previous; as, a prior discovery; prior obligation; -- used elliptically in cases like the following: he lived alone [in the time] prior to his marriage.
(a.) The superior of a priory, and next below an abbot in dignity.
(1) Combination therapy was most effective in patients receiving HCTZ prior to enalapril.
(2) These results indicated that the PG determination was the most accurate predictor of fetal lung well-being prior to birth among the clinical tests so far reported.
(3) Prior to oral feeding, little or no ELA was detected in stools and endotoxinemia was ascertained in only six of 45 infants (13%).
(4) Release of 51Cr was apparently a function of immune thymus-derived lymphocytes (T cells) because it was abrogated by prior incubation of spleen cells with anti-thymus antiserum and complement but was undiminished by passage of spleen cells through nylon-wool columns.
(5) Prior to joining JOE Media, Will was chief commercial officer at Dazed Group, where he also sat on the board of directors.
(6) The secretion of GH as measured by increased plasma level, in response to oral administration of 500 mg L-dopa or 30 min-infusion of arginine, was not modified by prior intravenous administration of 200 micrograms GH-releasing hormone (GHRH).
(7) In a double-blind, crossover-designed study, 9 male subjects (age range: 18-25 years) received 25 mg orally, four times per day of either S or an identically-appearing placebo (P) 2 d prior to and during HA.
(8) The remainder of the radioactivity appeared chromatographically just prior to the bisantrene peak, indicating that compounds more polar than the parent were present as transformation products.
(9) The number of gastrin-immunoreactive cells actually decreases just prior to weaning but then increases at and after, weaning.
(10) Sephadex LH-20 column chromatography was used for the separation of the steroid prior to assay.
(11) Blood samples were collected from an antecubital vein at sea level (S1), in a base camp at 1515 m prior to the summit ascent (S2), on the summit at 3285 m after 6.5 hours of climbing (S3), at base camp immediately after the descent (S4), and at sea level following a trail descent from the base camp (S5).
(12) A direct radioimmunoassay method using highly specific antisera without prior deconjugation has been developed for determination of estradiol 17-glucuronide and estriol 16-glucuronide in human plasma.
(13) Multiple operations were done in 7 patients prior to the appropriate diagnosis and treatment.
(14) Symptoms consistent with major affective disorder were present in one half and depressive spectrum diagnoses were made in one fourth of the cases prior to final diagnosis.
(15) In the genitourinary clinic setting, clinical diagnosis prior to biopsy was found frequently to be inaccurate.
(16) None of these were apparent on prior roentgenograms of the chest.
(17) It has a poor prognosis prior to the current combined treatment of surgical ablation, radiation to the surgical field, and chemotherapy for microscopic metastases.
(18) The flow cytometric measured DNA content (i.e., DNA index), S-fractions, and histopathologic malignancy grades were studied for ninety uterine cervical squamous cell carcinomas using tissue biopsies taken prior to radiotherapy.
(19) The consequences of proved hypersensitivity in patients with metal-to-plastic prostheses, either present prior to insertion of the prosthesis or evoked by the implant material, are not known.
(20) However, the effect of prior jaw motion and the effect of the recording site on the EMG amplitudes and on the vertical dimension of minimum EMG activity have not been documented.